Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2020, 01:17   #1

Boat: Cabo Rico 34
Aggressive Power Boaters..

Donít know why everyone is up set but it looks very similar to a typical day in Floridaís portion of the AICW with its known inconsiderate boaters...

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/us-russian-navy-ships-avoid-collision-us-destroyer-174400071.html
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 02:06   #2

Re: Aggressive Power Boaters..

Agressive power boaters

We had power boats that would purposely come close so that the wake rocked the boat and and sometims water would come over the boat, this was in Spanish Waters, Curacao.
Michael Cobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 05:36   #3
It is only boating

Boat: Hunter 410

Based on drivers on the road , why wouldn't expect boaters to be the same
Old 11-01-2020, 05:46   #4

Boat: Cape Dory, Cutter,30

A friend of mine ran a charter boat on the Chesapeake bay and when a boater did that he had a bucket full of 5/8 inch nuts that he threw at them. It sounded just like a gun shot when it hit the hull.
moctrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 06:15   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Hey, you invest your fortune and your testosterone in putting five 300 HP outboards on a 25 foot boat you gotta make waves, man, or you'll feel like you're one of those commie hippy liberal ain't got no balls wind boaters.
Old 11-01-2020, 06:39   #6

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63í

I don’t mind if the multi engine center consoles pass me at high speed: there is so little boat in the water that there is almost no wake. It’s when they slow down to pass and drag a huge wake that I get annoyed, the same with the sport fisherman with giant towers.
And why oh why don’t boats of any type ever slow down when we arrange a slow pass? So many times I have to speed up again to wake making speed to get past them when all they have to do is back off too.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 07:00   #7

Boat: Allied Princess 36 MKII

My grandmother spent the last 30 years of her life living with the results of one inconsiderate high speed 'fly-by'. When the vessel she was in dropped off the wake it shattered a disc in her spine.
The offending boaters never realized their day on the water, fun sun and fast times changed someone's life forever.
It's the automobile mentality, most have no clue of the type of damage their wake can produce.
S/V Adeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 07:28   #8

Boat: Cape Dory, Cutter,30

tkeithlu is a 74 year old angry geezer that has a lot of nerve calling people "commies. I want the narrator to remove this angry geezer from this site or make him apologize.
moctrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 07:40   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by moctrams View Post
tkeithlu is a 74 year old angry geezer that has a lot of nerve calling people "commies. I want the narrator to remove this angry geezer from this site or make him apologize.

I think you need to look up "irony".
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 08:04   #10

Lest us sailors get all sanctimonious, one of the best ones I have seen was near Port Everglades when an inbound container ship hails a trimaran in the approach channel on CH16 and asks them for sea room.

A woman onboard the tri responds with "I'm a sailboat I have right of way!" The Captain of the ship tries to explain Rule 9. No luck. She insists that HE give way because she is a sailboat. He tries logic: he needs to stay in the channel and maintain steerage way. Nope. She is not moving. She KNOWS her rights and isn't going to be bullied.

Finally the ship captain just calls the Coast Guard who come out and have a "chat" with the crazy lady.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 09:33   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal Cruising 46 - SATORI

Okay, it was 19 years ago. we motored up the ICW from Jax to the Chesapeake due to an injury I had suffered in the Bahamas when a local Alpha Hotel came trough the anchorage at max wake speed as I was in my engine room doing routine maintenance. My wife single handed us back to Florida where I received medical care, but restricted activity.

As we motored up the ICW, I would try radio contact with the %#@!! wake makers, who were sometimes rude. I would state parts of, the Coast Guard Auxiliary directive regarding "Responsibility for Damage Your Wake Causes". Often this would be adequate for responsible boaters. Others would say "What are you going to do about it?" My reply was broadcasting a PAN .PAN PAN warning other boaters and , taking pictures which I mailed to all marine insurance companies.

oldcal46skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 13:11   #12

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

And on the flip side I had a wonderful day last 4th where everyone was out on the water and they were all nice and considerate. I thought Iíd died and was in heaven.

Tags
boat, power boat