Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2021, 21:42   #31

Boat: 44 FP Cat & 45 Sea Ray motor yacht
Re: A case against crayfish cages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyrcooler View Post
Whoa! Selfish?!?! So the THOUSANDS (plural - literally) of pleasure boats in my harbor each have to fit protection to our boats in order to protect ourselves from a couple dozen idiotic fisherman who lay their traps with abandon IMMEDIATELY adjacent to or IN the channel of a VERY busy harbor?! Because that’s what those effers do in San Diego and as well as at the entrances to harbors up and down the west coast. And they don’t even have the courtesy to use a bright Orange floats! I’ve seen black and dark blue floats as they create a minefield all around the channel and approaches to the harbor!! Sorry! I respectfully disagree.

I also am flabbergasted at the suggestion that we’re sailors and should just “sail” through as well. I wish I had constant 24/7 breezes. But my reality is that there is little to no wind when it is dark and often when foggiest. You’re frequently motoring through this crap that was laid or has somehow drifted (?) into the marked channel.

Sure - I get it - every boat should have a line cutter for all the other trash out there. But a line cutter is NO guarantee that you will actually cut the line and not get fouled or sustain any damage. Allowing these guys to fish in such a reckless fashion just frys me. Requiring at a MINIMUM for these guys to maintain clean, bright Orange floats and attached flashing lights for night identification is not selfish. It’s common sense.

Refreshing to read your advocacy.
I share the believe that we are all entitled to the benefits of the seas.
I have spent so many thousands of $dollars to assist me in safety, navigation, Radar , chart plotters showing me where I can and cannot go.

Yet, fishermen are allowed to place in grave peril my life, the life of all passengers on board, and a $½m vessel for his right to fish?

I am not for one moment saying they are not allowed to do so. I am merely asking that in exchange for a life, against my $25 000 navigation equipment expenditure, that the fishermen will for a fraction of the cost, make their perilous fishing territories visible enough to avoid it. In day time and night time.

Like a luminous cone, radar reflector, and a $10 solar light. Having 50 pots will require a mere $1000 or less to assist fellow ocean-users to equally enjoy its benefits.

The seas are dangerous enough on its own.
Gerrit Coetzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 06:39   #32

I've read quite a few posts on this forum and thought "wow, this person doesn't 'get it'" but this post is why I'm going to leave the forum. Sorry, but if you can't navigate through lobster pots then you shouldn't be out there. Go ahead and blame the lobsterman, but it's the person who hits the pot that's at fault and you just cost the guy trying to make a living $$ when you cut his line so he'll never find his gear again.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 06:53   #33

Another sailor told me about picking up a pot warp (what we call them here in Maine) at night in Portland Harbor off a ledge with an oncoming swell. The sea where he was stays bitterly (bitterly!) cold... He went overboard to cut the line.

When I heard the story I got a shaft blade, which I had to use one time: some of the warps in that area stay submerged oh, about 3-5 feet... (current? warps that are too short? IDK but I post a lookout now)... so I never saw it before my propellor embraced it. A quick touch in reverse and everything broke free. Later I went overboard to check things and the water was so cold I literally couldn't breathe. I am SO GLAD it wasn't at night or in rough waters.
KellyMarcena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 06:54   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscoach View Post
I've read quite a few posts on this forum and thought "wow, this person doesn't 'get it'" but this post is why I'm going to leave the forum. Sorry, but if you can't navigate through lobster pots then you shouldn't be out there. Go ahead and blame the lobsterman, but it's the person who hits the pot that's at fault and you just cost the guy trying to make a living $$ when you cut his line so he'll never find his gear again.
If that's your attitude, I understand, you've never cruised in areas with crab pots.

I won't feel the loss, so Bye.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 07:25   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

In the Caribbean, the floats mark fish traps. Crayfish (tropical crayfish/lobster) are caught by hand, diving. Watch for trap floats anywhere along the islands in water less than 200 feet. The floats are often one or a cluster of any discarded plastic bottles including clear water bottles. The clear ones are tough to see in any light.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 07:43   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
If that's your attitude, I understand, you've never cruised in areas with crab pots.

I won't feel the loss, so Bye.
Thank you for aiding.
I had to bite on my lower lip not to say something, as I could not think of something positive to reply.

I blamed nobody as "mrscoach" alluded to. I was conveying a story and lobbing for bigger awareness.

Yet, her reply is as short sighted as I experience her insight.
(But I will count down the time to when she meets her first entanglement and await her reply then)
Old 02-04-2021, 07:49   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
In the Caribbean, the floats mark fish traps. Crayfish (tropical crayfish/lobster) are caught by hand, diving. Watch for trap floats anywhere along the islands in water less than 200 feet. The floats are often one or a cluster of any discarded plastic bottles including clear water bottles. The clear ones are tough to see in any light.
Appreciate the input. Wow, even 200ft ... well noted. (I was hoping for such caviat)

Though to see in any light, even more so when the sun is in your eyes, or in 9-12ft swells.
Old 02-04-2021, 07:55   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyMarcena View Post
Another sailor told me about picking up a pot warp (what we call them here in Maine) at night in Portland Harbor off a ledge with an oncoming swell. The sea where he was stays bitterly (bitterly!) cold... He went overboard to cut the line.

When I heard the story I got a shaft blade, which I had to use one time: some of the warps in that area stay submerged oh, about 3-5 feet... (current? warps that are too short? IDK but I post a lookout now)... so I never saw it before my propellor embraced it. A quick touch in reverse and everything broke free. Later I went overboard to check things and the water was so cold I literally couldn't breathe. I am SO GLAD it wasn't at night or in rough waters.

Note to "mrscoach" ! Read, learn and hope it does not happen to you.

Jump in ice cold water 😵. I do not know how I would/could handle that! All my empathy.
Glad you survived that one too.

💥💫
Old 02-04-2021, 08:00   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscoach View Post

Please read with comprehension.

I will for educational purposes avail myself again to explain:

I share the believe that we are all entitled to the benefits of the seas.
I have spent so many thousands of $dollars to assist me in safety, navigation, Radar , chart plotters showing me where I can and cannot go.

Yet, fishermen are allowed to place in grave peril my life, the life of all passengers on board, and a $½m vessel for his right to fish?

I am not for one moment saying they are not allowed to do so. I am merely asking that in exchange for a life, against my $25 000 navigation equipment expenditure, that the fishermen will for a fraction of the cost, make their perilous fishing territories visible enough to avoid it. In day time and night time.

Like a luminous cone, radar reflector, and a $10 solar light. Having 50 pots will require a mere $1000 or less to assist fellow ocean-users to equally enjoy its benefits.

The seas are dangerous enough on its own.
Old 02-04-2021, 08:27   #40

We always had a line cutter on the shaft and a Max prop which can be stopped. You were definitely in a tight corner but got away with it. Incidentally, our line cutter proved effective and was essential in highly fished coastal waters of Indonesia. As to the lobster pot owners: saving life and limb takes priority over expensive fishing equipment
argonauta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 08:37   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohthetrees View Post
Get ready for the armchair admirals to show up and tell you what you “should have done”. Sometimes you only have bad options, and have to put yourself in danger to solve a dangerous problem.
Reading again your post, my attention was once again drawn to the wisdom in your words: "Sometimes you only have bad options"...

Well articulated.
Old 02-04-2021, 08:42   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by argonauta1 View Post
We always had a line cutter on the shaft and a Max prop which can be stopped. You were definitely in a tight corner but got away with it. Incidentally, our line cutter proved effective and was essential in highly fished coastal waters of Indonesia. As to the lobster pot owners: saving life and limb takes priority over expensive fishing equipment
I can only concur.

And I wish them as the fishermen well too. I beg only for higher visibility at this time from them. No fighting. No swords crossing. Just a mere request and a bigger push from boaters to assist in this.
I wish to sail with them in harmony.
Old 02-04-2021, 09:12   #43

In OPs scenario, he was motoring, so he was basically on a stern anchor when he got snagged. He had no reason to hurry into the water. Try other remedies first. Wait a minute to see if it releases as the boat is pushed around, rig a knife onto a pole, try to get into your dinghy and cut it that way.

Anyway, line cutter props are common and easily fitted. If you're going to be cruising somewhere that very poor people can only survive by using fish traps to make a living, you have to accept you might foul a line and plan accordingly. Glad OP made it through and figured out a solution.
jrau18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 10:19   #44

We were cruising in a power boat in the Albemarle Sound when seas were building to 4-6 ft. No problem for the boat, but almost impossible to see crab trap buoys. They were black and partially damaged.

We picked up one in our stbd. IPS drive. It must have cut the warp but it picked up a piece of rebar which is used in the trap for weight. We were able to keep going as the whole mess moved toward the hub of the forward facing duo props.

Diver at the next marina was able to cut the mess free but the prop, hull and shaft damage cost $11,000 to fix. More visibility would definitely have helped us avoid it. Attached is a pic of the remnants of what was removed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201110_072053.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	442.2 KB
ID:	235705  
Slacktime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 11:05   #45

Two words (In addition to echoing that we're very glad you are OK)...Shaft Shark.
Mjames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Pots prop tangle rope