Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2016, 03:26   #31

Re: Mantus

I bought a Mantus 85lb anchor, no discount no freebies. I dont carry 3rd party hull insurance on our 42' monohull, our mantus and chain rode with snubbers is our hull insurance. When we're on the boat we rely on it nightly. Last spring we spent 6 months at anchor nonstop (ok we were lazy and spent 4 nights in a marina in that time) and never dragged once. 6 knot tide shifting current for a week plus (180 degree resets twice a day), 50+ knot sustained gales, on a lee shore with no motor (rocks 50' off the stern), The mantus held through all while we watched other boats drag past (and nearly into) us.

I don't doubt they've had some hiccups as small businesses do (mine included) but I don't like to see a thread show up with nothing but complaints on a company that makes an excellent product and reacts quickly to feedback from its customers, both positive and negative.*

*I've never once received any discount or compensation from Mantus. I don't usually go out of my way to promote a product, but they are worth it.
Old 21-11-2016, 17:33   #32

Nothing short of perfect customer service from mantus. Love my 85# anchor!
sailnow2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 19:46   #33

Boat: Hallberg Rassy Rasmus 35'

Very happy with my Mantus setup- anchor roller and anchor. First rate equipment. Greg great to deal with.

I bought it because they were local to me and because I researched the internet and could not find any REAL complaints about their equipment.
BillyBobtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 19:52   #34

Boat: Tartan 40

Swapped rocna for mantus. I note a big difference in setting and resetting. Had a mantus on my prior boat, and thought the rocna with my boat would be similar but was disappointed with several fails on setting and 2 on resetting. In both mantus anchors, and at least 250 nights at anchor, not yet had a fail with mantus
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 12:02   #35

Boat: Beneteau 393

I'm considering the Mantus anchor swivel. Can anyone share experience with it?
Mark Stillwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 14:53   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stillwell View Post

I am very pleased with mine, it's on a Rocna, but works fine. Unlike every other swivel I have looked at, I believe it to be stronger than the chain
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:08   #37

Boat: Moody 36 (1981)

is it possible to buy a mantus (20kg) in italy? we are overwintering in Rocella Ionica on the toe.
Old 05-02-2017, 15:14   #38

By the way, it seems that jonathan neeves of practical sailor continues to be biased against mantus, if anyone read latest article. First long ago he raised all the issues about their slimmer profile shanks despite no one I know has actually bent one. I think less weight in shank helps it set in softer substrate. Now this idea that shallower set angle of mantus may help ease of setting at cost of holding power? This despite that setting tests in chesapeake soft mud, which should have exposed the Mantus if PS was right, showed the mantus to have more holding power than most/all new gen anchors except for fortress. Then terrible editing which calls a comparison anchor the "rocna supreme" and tries to suggest that angles are different despite the anchors being oriented differently. What a bunch of garbage- I am tempted to cancel my PS subscription after this blatant bias against an anchor which I have no stake in, except I'm on my second Mantus on second sailboat, and I've never had an anchor set so quickly and securely.
Old 05-02-2017, 18:07   #39

I was just getting ready to subscribe too. We need them to come give an official statement on this.
sailnow2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 23:07   #40

Boat: Catana 50

I've had at least 3 subscriptions to PS over the past 20+ years, and let all laps. I can't imagine a better resource than intelligent/selective use of the forums! I spent many many hours over about a year researching which anchor to purchase, when we decided to buy our current (4th in my lifetime) boat and finally set out to circumnavigate 2 years ago. We decided to purchase a Mantus. We've had it for one year, during which we spent about 180 days at anchor. During that year we rode out two 50+ knot blows, without a budge. You could not get me to switch for any amount.
CookiesnTequila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 01:02   #41

Boat: Catana 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stillwell View Post
We have a 125lbs Mantus, currently on an Ultra-Flip swivel. I do not like the Ultra-Flip for anything other than it does make sure the anchor comes up correctly every time. It does not swivel very well at all, and it doesn't fit our Mantus very well.

We are going to test a Mantus swivel this summer (it arrived a few weeks ago) to see if will right our Mantus every time before it goes into the roller. Making sure it is flipped the correct way is very important for us as we cannot reach our anchor from on deck until it is firmly in the roller.

My initial thoughts, based on looks and feel alone, are that the Mantus Swivel is a much stronger and better design than the Ultra and Wasi (which we had before the Ultra) - at about 1/3 the cost!! And, I found the US sales team at Ultra to be much less than pleasant to deal with - be careful of them!

Mantus gave us the swivel to test because they could not say that it would cause the anchor to right itself every time - but they said they have never had anyone say that was a problem. We've found their customer service nothing short of excellent!

I'll post a side by side photo in a few days after I install it.
CookiesnTequila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 06:19   #42

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Hmmm...I wonder if they are printed

Hah maybe.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 06:21   #43

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Mantus

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.taylor View Post
Zboss, we will replace any broken gates free of charge and will include a spare if you request. Sorry for the problems. We are looking at material changes to improve durability.

Deneen

deneen@mantusanchors.com

I had actually called you guys about that and was told that we needed to buy new ones. Thanks and I'll remember this for next time.

I'd suggest a galvanized gate of some kind.

Also, your swivel is great but might benefit from something other than seizing wire to keep the retainer on. Maybe a bolt or something.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 19:33   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
By the way, it seems that jonathan neeves of practical sailor continues to be biased against mantus, if anyone read latest article. First long ago he raised all the issues about their slimmer profile shanks despite no one I know has actually bent one. I think less weight in shank helps it set in softer substrate. Now this idea that shallower set angle of mantus may help ease of setting at cost of holding power? This despite that setting tests in chesapeake soft mud, which should have exposed the Mantus if PS was right, showed the mantus to have more holding power than most/all new gen anchors except for fortress. Then terrible editing which calls a comparison anchor the "rocna supreme" and tries to suggest that angles are different despite the anchors being oriented differently. What a bunch of garbage- I am tempted to cancel my PS subscription after this blatant bias against an anchor which I have no stake in, except I'm on my second Mantus on second sailboat, and I've never had an anchor set so quickly and securely.

If someone can explain picture 4 and the caption perhaps I won't feel as dumb for having read it.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1486438421.992691.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	140835

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 07-02-2017, 04:18   #45

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
If someone can explain picture 4 and the caption perhaps I won't feel as dumb for having read it.Attachment 140835

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

I think a photo like that just illustrates how poorly written the article is.....fwiw, I'm hoping the wrong photo was used.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mantus