Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2020, 08:12   #1

www.catamaransite

Beware - many of the listings on this site that are listed under the "For Sale by Owner" section are actually :"For Sale thru Broker" and Rick, the websites owner, is OK with that lie. Just saying.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 08:19   #2

Boat: Amel 53, Super Maramu
Re: www.catamaransite

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
Beware - many of the listings on this site that are listed under the "For Sale by Owner" section are actually :"For Sale thru Broker" and Rick, the websites owner, is OK with that lie. Just saying.
I guess I find it really hard to get my knickers in a twist about it. Really, who cares? I only care about the price and condition of the boat, who is the salesman is pretty irrelevant to my calculation. In most (not all) cases I find a broker a lot easier to deal with than a private seller.

It has been my experience that many (not all) of boats "For Sale By Owner" are being listed by the owner because they couldn't find a broker who agreed with their highly inflated value of their boat.
SVHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:13   #3

Boat: Planet, Earth LOA∞

True, Owners tend to overvalue their boats and catamaransite has a good sample of very overpriced cats (that's the owner's choice and I'm fine with that).

OTOH, lying is not ok, and I thought catamaransite was fsbo. Also, I'm not ok with overly pushy sellers seeping into -and polluting- fsbo sites such craigslist/offerup/etc.
Thanks for the warning OP.
fcftampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 05:53   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVHarmonie View Post
I guess I find it really hard to get my knickers in a twist about it. Really, who cares? I only care about the price and condition of the boat, who is the salesman is pretty irrelevant to my calculation. In most (not all) cases I find a broker a lot easier to deal with than a private seller.

It has been my experience that many (not all) of boats "For Sale By Owner" are being listed by the owner because they couldn't find a broker who agreed with their highly inflated value of their boat.
Many people have had negative experiences with brokers who inexplicably as a group often can't be bothered to answer their emails or know anything about the boats they are listing. And it is without question that their commission subtracts from what the owner gets from the sale. As a result, many would rather not deal with them if at all possible, and go to fsbo sites on purpose to avoid them and have the chance to talk directly to owners.

One can certainly disagree with that assessment of brokers or their impact on ultimate price paid, but at the end of the he day one should be free to choose to pursue fsbo boats if they want to. And those people are generally a bit peeved when a broker pretends to be a fsbo seller, or a site that purports to be fsbo isn't. If one is fine with both brokers and businesses that use deceptive marketing practices, then this wouldn't bother you. The OPs warning isn't for you, you can just ignore it. For the folks who aren't fine with it, it is helpful information.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 08:17   #5

Boat: Fountaine Pajot / Venezia 42

According to the Catamaran For Sale By Owner FAQ

Are There Broker Listed Boats on this site?
  • Not to my knowledge
So which boat is a broker listed boat ? just that we know
scargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 08:50   #6

Boat: Planet, Earth LOA∞
Thumbs up Re: www.catamaransite

Quote:
Originally Posted by scargo View Post
So which boat is a broker listed boat ? just that we know

There are several that might be fsbo & by broker which would be ok for me; although I will venture to say that contacting atleast one of them through catamaran site will yield the broker.

https://www.popyachts.com/catamaran-...florida-198800

https://www.edwardsyachtsales.com/bo...hts/440/17140/

https://www.boats.com/sailing-boats/...rd-40-7050362/

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...rd-40-3182729/

these are in both sites; there are many more.
fcftampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 08:38   #7
Marine Service Provider

A friend referred this thread to me, and I want to clear the air. All listings on CatamaranSite.com are paid FSBO listings. What happens is that after a period of time, some boats just don't sell. Could be the boats in a tough location, or that the owner has his asking price set too high. But for whatever reason, the owner then contacts a broker and lists his boat.

So, what happens is since he's already paid us for his listing we allow a copy of any inquiry to go to his broker.

That's how this happens.

Rick
CatamaranSite.com
310423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 09:26   #8

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

I’d like to add something here as well.

Rick has spent countless hours creating this website as a service to us. A hobby. It’s not a big profit money making site. It’s a side hobby from a man who loves boats. He has a real job outside of that site.

I can also say he’s a kind, honest man always willing to help a fellow sailor out.

He in no way matches anything in the posts above.

Give the guy a break. Really. He’s one of the good ones.

He would never do anything deceptive or underhanded.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 09:30   #9

Rick,
Don't know you but good job coming here and explaining the situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatamaranSite View Post
A friend referred this thread to me, and I want to clear the air. All listings on CatamaranSite.com are paid FSBO listings. What happens is that after a period of time, some boats just don't sell. Could be the boats in a tough location, or that the owner has his asking price set too high. But for whatever reason, the owner then contacts a broker and lists his boat.

So, what happens is since he's already paid us for his listing we allow a copy of any inquiry to go to his broker.

That's how this happens.

Rick
CatamaranSite.com
B23iL23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 03:42   #10

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Catamaransite has Always done good by me. We have sold 3 of our catamarans through his site. He's always been professional and on top of his game with his website
Some people ,,,,,[emoji849]
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 04:43   #11

Boat: Dragonfly 920 / 30 ft

I think that's a reasonable way to do it - but should have more transparency on the site or a filter. I'm in the market for a boat and find "Contact Catamaran Owner" deceptive when a broker then replies to the enquiries.
Simon.Sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 05:36   #12
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon.Sails View Post
I think that's a reasonable way to do it - but should have more transparency on the site or a filter. I'm in the market for a boat and find "Contact Catamaran Owner" deceptive when a broker then replies to the enquiries.
Your inquiry always goes to the catamaran owner. The broker is copied. No promises, but I'll see what we can do.
310423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 06:56   #13

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

I like the site. So much more detailed than normal broker listings.

There is nothing Rick can do to stop someone listing their boat elsewhere without his knowledge.

In fact my boat was listed on there. Then when I came time to buy it, I found out that it was also listed with the broker I'd been using. The seller and broker came to deal to, as I found the boat in Rick's site, but wanted to use the broker for paperwork.

Since I run various websites for a living, I know it's not easy, and it's not like catamaransite has hundreds of boats on it, so the income it generates isn't huge.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2020, 03:31   #14

Boat: Dragonfly 920 / 30 ft

Personally I just hate interacting with brokers, they don't know or care about the boat and just want to push you to visit without answering any enquiries which could result in some *gasp* work for them.
Simon.Sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2020, 04:57   #15

I bought a small trawler thru a well known So Florida broker, They woudnt lift a finger regarding the documents transfer-would not even say they person selling actually oned the boat. Just said that's not our work -go hire a agency!!
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran