Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2021, 00:46   #1

WTB Vindo 50, 32 or 30

Looking for a clean Vindo in the US (Great Lakes region would be...well, great), preferably turn-key, although I don't mind completing routine maintenance. These boats are older now, so I'd like to find one that's been loved.

I've been looking at all the normal places, but thought maybe someone out there had a nice example they've been thinking about listing?

Thanks in advance.
Verichai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2021, 03:39   #2

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)
Re: WTB Vindo 50, 32 or 30

Here's one in Maine:

These are pretty rare boats, but sometimes they pop up on yachtworld in the US.

Fantastic boats with very high quality construction and finish. Just curious though, why are you looking specifically for a Vindö?
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2021, 09:54   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copacabana View Post
Just curious though, why are you looking specifically for a Vindö?
Quote:
Fantastic boats with very high quality construction and finish.
Copacabana, thanks for the link. I actually spoke to the owner of this boat, who was incredibly gracious and helpful, but unfortunately, it has been sold.

To answer your question, there are a few reasons I've zeroed in on Vindo. You've hit on some of them above, but essentially, I believe these boats are in the sweet spot in terms of quality of craftsmanship, materials, size, usability, performance and most importantly, cost.

We all know there is an element of emotion when it comes to buying a boat. Certain vessels speak to us while others leave us cold. For the last several years, my dream boat has been a Hans Christian 33, but these are large, aging vessels with a lot of complexity, lots of teak and lots of brightwork above and especially below. A HC33 is actually 41' overall, which I think is too much boat for me. However, I love the build quality and the 'feel' of these boats. If I'm going to spend the money on the boat itself, and then pay for slip fees, storage, insurance and maintenance, I just can't bring myself to buy anything that doesn't impart a sense of old-world maritime adventure, ya know? I want my boat to feel like a boat and for me, that means varnished wood below and teak up top (I could make an exception for the teak, honestly, but it's nice).

This brings us to the Vindos. They have that feel, but in a smaller, more manageable package. Yes, there will still be varnishing and teak maintenance, but on a boat that is 28-35' overall and under $50k.

As my research continues, I am very open to suggestions of other small well-made boats that feel like larger boats. A few folks have suggested I look at Flickas, which are also very appealing with their solid fiberglass construction and robust build, but I'm concerned about the hull speed of a twenty footer, and examples with the enclosed head seem to be quite rare. The Dana 24 is also an appealing option, but they seem to command a premium in terms of dollar/foot.

I'm still exploring, but I have really fallen for a few of the Vindos I have seen, beautifully made boats!
Old 22-03-2021, 10:11   #4

I agree with all your reasons for buying a Vindö. That's why I own one! They are great boats in every way. I will add that they actually sail quite well (compared to other full-keel boats). They are not too heavy, have enough ballast and a fairly fine entry. I think you'll like their sailing qualities. That said, there is a lot of wood to take care of...

I'm sure you already know these two channels, but in case you don't...

https://www.youtube.com/c/ThulaSailing/videos

(Vindö 45 / 33 feet. Will give you an idea of typical maintenance on a Vindö. They left from Germany and are now in the South Pacific.)

https://www.youtube.com/c/SailingMagicCarpet/videos

(Vindö 30 / 28 feet. Beautiful example of a smaller Vindö in great shape and lovingly maintained)

If I can be of any help, let let me know.
Old 22-03-2021, 10:23   #5

Quote:
If I can be of any help, let let me know.
Thanks very much! I did recently discover Sailing Magic Carpet as a result of my Vindo research and watching Aladino maintain that boat is a pleasure.

Appreciate the insights!
Old 26-03-2021, 13:11   #6

Boat: crawling back aboard: getting over long vax/covid!

yes, the vindö is a beauty of a boat: Elegance

do not have one but have been seriously tempted. and there are more of them, over here, on my side of the pond

you've surely found the owner's club website

just in case:

VindonetUK

hope you find yours

wolfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2021, 13:32   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgal View Post
and there are more of them, over here, on my side of the pond
Indeed you do! I saw a couple over there that were so clean, so well priced and so well cared for that I asked my wife if she would quit her job, fly over with me, buy the boat and spend a year exploring the canals and coasts of Europe.

She wasn't quite ready to execute that plan, but maybe one day.

Thanks for the link to the owner's site. I did come across that but it seems very old and not updated. Of interest though is that according to the owner's registry, there are a 4 or 5 of these boats with owner's who are relatively local to me, so they're out there!
Old 26-03-2021, 13:46   #8

Quote:
yes, the vindö is a beauty of a boat: Elegance

do not have one but have been seriously tempted. and there are more of them, over here, on my side of the pond

you've surely found the owner's club website

just in case:

VindonetUK

hope you find yours

I don't know if it's because of my location, but none of the site links work for me. I'd like to check out the "maintenance" link, but I get a dead link. Do they work for you?
Old 26-03-2021, 13:56   #9

hey vindö M!

try this

VindonetUK

if nothing comes up, i could copy/paste (is that legal?) it for you.
Old 26-03-2021, 14:00   #10

Hello Wolfgal!
The main page opens, but whatever I click on is a dead link.

[edit. I just tried again and now it works. Go figure...]
Old 26-03-2021, 14:04   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verichai View Post
Indeed you do! I saw a couple over there that were so clean, so well priced and so well cared for that I asked my wife if she would quit her job, fly over with me, buy the boat and spend a year exploring the canals and coasts of Europe.

She wasn't quite ready to execute that plan, but maybe one day.

Thanks for the link to the owner's site. I did come across that but it seems very old and not updated. Of interest though is that according to the owner's registry, there are a 4 or 5 of these boats with owner's who are relatively local to me, so they're out there!
yes, i noted one in Maine and in other northern parts over there. perhaps these folks know others who also have one (as it happens this way).

and, yes, true, there are a couple of pretty ones on the market over here right now, one though (that looks perfect) has been on the market for at least three years... for some time now, my thought has been that it has some hidden problem (as these boats do tend to sell over here). no idea... but still odd

as for your idea of quitting everything and going for it with your wife..., all i can say is, convince her!

keep us posted

wolfie
Old 26-03-2021, 14:05   #12

Quote:
Hello Wolfgal!
The main page opens, but whatever I click on is a dead link.

[edit. I just tried again and now it works. Go figure...]
ok will send you a pm with some pasted 'maintenance'.

Old 26-03-2021, 14:15   #13

Quote:
yes, i noted one in Maine
This one is actually a Vindo 30, although it is listed as a Vindo Sloop. I have been in touch with the broker and actually tried to track down the owner, so I could converse with him, since this one is in my budget, but it needs some work, the running rigging is all old, and there are some logistical hurdles. Having the boat shipped to me would run around $6,000. Which isn't a huge deal on a $90-100k boat, but that's 20% of the boat price just in shipping. The other issue is that I called three insurance companies, and none would insure this boat, claiming that it is "too old".
Old 26-03-2021, 14:23   #14

Quote:
ok will send you a pm with some pasted 'maintenance'.

pm won't let me send you the last bit, about the vindo 50 rudder and the vindo 40 steering...

will give it another try later on

if i remember correctly, you have a hard dodger on yours, right?
Old 26-03-2021, 15:17   #15

Quote:
pm won't let me send you the last bit, about the vindo 50 rudder and the vindo 40 steering...

will give it another try later on

if i remember correctly, you have a hard dodger on yours, right?
Thanks! I got the messages. Yes, my Vindö is really a custom boat. It went through an extensive refit that involved basically rebuilding the boat on the old hull. The new decks, cabin structure, cockpit and hard dodger are divinycell sandwich and glassed to the hull (monocoque). Almost no external wood today, except some handrails and decorative cockpit seats and floor (over fiberglass). The tropics would be hard on an original Vindö with all that external wood...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	now that's a calm anchorage!.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	437.8 KB
ID:	235292   Click image for larger version

Name:	470.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	252.7 KB
ID:	235293  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2663.jpg