Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2020, 12:15   #46

Boat: Elan Impression 434
Re: WTB: 40-50' Queen aft cabin blue water cruiser

Good luck with the search. We went with a boat that was being actively cruised and bought it in Grenada from a couple that sailed from South Africa. Boats don’t like to sit, has been my experience. We’re a bit north of your budget, but she’s served us well.

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/86958
markbmatthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 12:24   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr180 View Post
Three thoughts: 1) Take a look at a Gulfstar 47 Sailmaster. In your price range. Nice aft cabin and galley. Center cockpit has excellent visibility. While not typically thought to be a blue water boat, ours has been to Trinidad and back and to the Bahamas many times. 2) Our experience in the used boat market has been that, unfortunately, the condition of most of the boats for sale will not meet your expectations. This has nothing to do with the brand or manufacturer or age. It is all about how the owners have maintained and upgraded (in most cases neglected). I have been told and found to be true, you are really buying the previous owners care as well as the boat. Interestingly, the more expensive and high end boats are not immune. 3) Must be patient to find one equipped like you want and in good condition.

Lastly, I sent you a PM.
we are patient...with you guys help here, we have already eliminated some boats and aer learning more every day...i love the looks of the GS 50 but will look at the 47 too. thanks!
Coconuts333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 12:26   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelhemington View Post
In your budget, I'd be looking for a center cockpit in the $80.000 range considering any boat you buy will need some upgrades. Your wish list is not all that impossible as these things can be added later as you find you really need them but a boat in the size you're looking at should have space to accommodate them. You'll find that roller furling and self tailing winches are the norm now on most boats. Hallberg's are great but usually outside your budget. Get one with a sound hull and bulkheads, good motor and dry decks as these are the high ticket items to fix after purchase. Be prepared to locate a good surveyor where ever you look (some of these guys are booked up well in advance. Here's an interesting one well within your budget. Aside from the high engine hours, it seems to tick a lot of your boxes. https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...ar-50-3558079/
I agree....most of that list was desires but wanted suggestions on good reliable boats that others with more experience could recommend.. Ill take a llok and thanks!
Old 29-08-2020, 12:27   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
Did OP say he was looking for a new or used boat?

We all have different definitions of "Blue Water Boat" but I think for a 1980ish boat with a good reputation, with used but useable gear in decent condition, ready to go across oceans, you could easily have all of those wishes for under $200K.

And 50' not necessary. Plenty of good layouts with queen berth in aft cabin on boats 40' and up.
Old 29-08-2020, 12:28   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Hansen View Post
We own and are actively cruising a highly modified Cal 2-46 that would meet all of your criteria plus much more, but the price would be a minimum of double your indicated budget.

If interested in viewing:

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1976/cal-2-46-3681220/

I can send you a write up of the history of the boat and her modifications, if interested via an e-mail request to:

svmollyj@yahoo.com + lisadehart09@yahoo.com (double address to avoid spam).

Best wishes in your hunt!
Jon Hansen
thanks
Old 29-08-2020, 12:28   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomoh View Post
There is one of the best bluewater cruising yachts available for sale at Ensign Australia. See S&S 51 pilothouse 1987. Has all but you are after and in very good condition. I have sailed on this boat numerous times.
Nice!! we will do some research on it.
Old 29-08-2020, 12:53   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack C View Post
We have a 1981 Mayflower 48/Stadel 48. Center cockpit. King size aft bed, half bath, enormous open saloon.
Look for eighties cruisers like this but for around $100k expect a major refit which will be very expensive unless you can do most of the work yourself.

I think your quest may be mission impossible.

Good luck
Nah...not impossible but "choosing a boat is full of compromises"
Old 29-08-2020, 13:00   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbmatthews View Post
Good luck with the search. It’s always a process. We bought an Elan Impression 434 in Grenada and have been super happy with it. It was sailed by the previous owners from South Africa. A bit north of your budget, but check it out, in the end it’s more the crew than the boat! We’re now in Maine and glad we came up this way. Here’s a link: https://m.sailboatlistings.com/view/86958
thanks!
Old 29-08-2020, 13:31   #54

I have had a great time emailing lots of you guys with questions and advice...we have now narrowed some of the search down to gulfstar 50, Wauquiez 43, morgan marek 45, and maybe a moody 425, bristol, or CT if i spend a bit more....our intention if coastal cruising from Texas to florida and carribbean but she would like to be able to sail to europe and the med in afew years. I am retired and we work part time. Plan is to sail 6-9 months, work a few months and repeat.
Ive had some great input here and realize we may have to purchase an older boat and refit it over time...not a problem. I restored antique vehicles and planes before....boats are EASY!!
My question for the more seasoned in our gallery: which of these boats can coastal cruise but also handle deep water crossings (atlantic, not cape horn!)
I eliminated the Irwin as it is a good boat but has some short comings in this area....I think i have my personal list as :
1-Moody
2-Bristol
3-Wauquiez
4-Gulfstar
5/6-CT or Morgan..its a tie.
Thoughts?
Old 29-08-2020, 14:33   #55

Boat: 1980 Gulfstar 47 Sailmaster

There are actually two Gulfstar 50s: 1) Traditional center cockpit, which If memory serves me well, may not have queen aft cabin. BUT the lines are beautiful and it sails well. 2) Sailmaster 50, also a center cockpit with the aft cabin you are looking for. Pricing somewhat more but not a lot. The Sailmaster, both 47 and 50, are raised salons with large port lights (windows) and are motorsailers with trawler livability. Lots of tankage (320 gal water and 200 gal fuel on the 47). Both Sailmasters actually sail well but won’t point as high as the original 50. Have fun in your search!
cr180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 14:52   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconuts333 View Post
I have had a great time emailing lots of you guys with questions and advice...we have now narrowed some of the search down to gulfstar 50, Wauquiez 43, morgan marek 45, and maybe a moody 425, bristol, or CT if i spend a bit more....our intention if coastal cruising from Texas to florida and carribbean but she would like to be able to sail to europe and the med in afew years. I am retired and we work part time. Plan is to sail 6-9 months, work a few months and repeat.
Ive had some great input here and realize we may have to purchase an older boat and refit it over time...not a problem. I restored antique vehicles and planes before....boats are EASY!!
My question for the more seasoned in our gallery: which of these boats can coastal cruise but also handle deep water crossings (atlantic, not cape horn!)
I eliminated the Irwin as it is a good boat but has some short comings in this area....I think i have my personal list as :
1-Moody
2-Bristol
3-Wauquiez
4-Gulfstar
Thoughts?
Don’t know if anyone can answer your question. Guess is all of those boats would take more punishment than you or me are willing to endure. My personal experience is that it is all about weather and corresponding sea conditions. And the patience to wait for good weather. Furthermore, the nastiest sea conditions exist where there is current with the opportunity for opposing wind. Also know folks that shipped they’re boat to the Med (obviously have way more $ than me). All of that said, my wife and I originally had long ocean passages in mind, but have found that extended watch standing is not for us and have opted for Van Zant’s Thornless Path. By the way his book “A Gentleman’s Guide to Passages South” is well worth the read.
Old 29-08-2020, 15:17   #57

Quote:
1-Moody
2-Bristol
3-Wauquiez
4-Gulfstar
Thoughts?
Another thought. The true blue water boat would be a double ender with a narrow beam, very small aft cockpit (that would not present large volume) and wind vane steering. Accommodations below would be a vee berth and quarter berth. Probably cutter or ketch rigged. Purists would have a sea anchor to ride out severe weather. SO, again in my experience, to get the wife to go, this type of boat never made the cut.
Old 29-08-2020, 16:19   #58

Suspect I’ll draw a lot of fire here, but be wary of both brokers and surveyors. There are certainly good and not so good. My experience is way more the latter. Best to approach prospective boats as if you had to fix it all. And you will when your offshore. So what do you see when you view the boat? Trust your instincts. Certain that folks on this forum can help you with checklists and evaluation of what you see. I, and guess many others on this forum as well, have walked away from boats that brokers and surveyors have applauded.
Old 29-08-2020, 17:38   #59

Boat: Nauticat 44 Pilothouse

We have a Nauticat 44 for sale that ticks most of your boxes. Here is a link to the ad
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/b...176654644.html. The boat is in Anacortes, WA.
gardeningal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 18:13   #60

Boat: Northstar 80/20
Send a message via AIM to yesthatsue Send a message via Yahoo to yesthatsue Send a message via Skype™ to yesthatsue

Quote:
My wife and I are looking for a 40-50ish foot fiberglass hull blue water cruiser. She prefers the queen aft cabin for a live-aboard.
We just bought a Northstar 80/20 (aka Hughes 40) -- the one pictured in my user icon -- for $22k US. She has a *king* aft cabin, and two heads with showers, even a hot water heater. There are a lot of centre cockpit ketches out there that would foot the bill; just hop on Yachtworld or similar, and start looking at specific boats.
yesthatsue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue water, cabin, cruise, cruiser, water