Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2020, 14:45   #31

Smile Re: WTB: 40-50' Queen aft cabin blue water cruiser

We own and are actively cruising a highly modified Cal 2-46 that would meet all of your criteria plus much more, but the price would be a minimum of double your indicated budget.

If interested in viewing:

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1976/cal-2-46-3681220/

I can send you a write up of the history of the boat and her modifications, if interested via an e-mail request to:

svmollyj@yahoo.com + lisadehart09@yahoo.com (double address to avoid spam).

Best wishes in your hunt!
Jon Hansen
Jonathan Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 15:00   #32

Re: WTB: 40-50' Queen aft cabin blue water cruiser

There is one of the best bluewater cruising yachts available for sale at Ensign Australia. See S&S 51 pilothouse 1987. Has all but you are after and in very good condition. I have sailed on this boat numerous times.
Bomoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 15:00   #33

wow..that is nice! unfortunately, its over our budget. thanks!
Coconuts333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 15:01   #34

You'll have to go a bit older but take a hard look at a Moody 425. True blue water boat and probably the best layout for a 42 foot boat out there.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 15:07   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomoh View Post
There is one of the best bluewater cruising yachts available for sale at Ensign Australia. See S&S 51 pilothouse 1987. Has all but you are after and in very good condition. I have sailed on this boat numerous times.
that is nice! but out of our range..thanks
Old 28-08-2020, 15:19   #36

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rearsteer View Post
Check out a Hallberg-Rassy 39. May have to up your price a bit, but nice boats with a aft cabin.
Most HR 39, center cockpit do not have a real queen center, but more likely a split one - they’re just too small for a real full side aft cabin.

Regardless, one of the best offshore cruisers in the world.
Old 28-08-2020, 15:26   #37

yea..julie not a fan on that cabin for that reason
Old 28-08-2020, 15:41   #38

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

A good and reasonable wish list. I had exactly the same (plus, plus...) when purchasing my last cruising boat two years ago.

- First, better focus on a center cockpit, cutter - if possible, these are basically the only boats that offer you a full side aft cabin.
- the boats listed below are usually 70-80’s. It may be very difficult to find a really (super) well maintained boat of this circa. You can also look at Bristol 45. - that’s before any of the upgrades you are talking about for long offshore cruising.
- The expected refit alone on any (good) older boat can easily run between $30-70K.

Most US made boats of the later years 90’s + , are aft cockpit design, so your best bet would be the European made - not too many can be found in the US and their basic cost will probably be way above your budget. Here I can list few and I wouldn’t recommend to go below 1990...:
- Hallberg-Rassy 42-44
- Oyster 435
- Moody 425, 44
- Contest 43, 44
- Najad 44

If you just search for a center cockpit boat at the usual sites, you can see what’s available and where. Even after taking, say, 30% off the asking price, it might be difficult to accommodate your wish list - again, considering that ANY boat you purchase will require a certain level of refitting.

It took me a year to find my Contest 43CC and I traveled throughout the US, Europe and the Caribbeans to find a good boat within my budget (that was higher than yours, and counting... ) and another six intensive months for refitting.

Best of luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconuts333 View Post
My wife and I are looking for a 40-50ish foot fiberglass hull blue water cruiser. She prefers the queen aft cabin for a live-aboard. We have looked at several Irwin 40's, a Morgan Marek, and Stamas 44 and are considering one. We like the looks of a Gulfstar but have not seen one in person. Any other suggestions or boats for sale on the forum? We have only started our research and are open to suggestions and advice due to the large number of boats available. Its hard to research them all and could use some free advice.
we are looking for something more sail ready and not a fixer upper as we are retired and desire to sail sooner than later. Our budget is around 100K depending on condition, electronics, and amenities. Ideally, we would like AC, water maker, nice galley, fridge/freezer, hot water heater, washing machine, furling jib, self tailing winches, cockpit control, but none of these are a must. We are located in Texas.
Look forward to visiting with everyone!
Old 28-08-2020, 21:54   #39

Boat: May Flower 48 - Stadel 48
Send a message via Skype™ to Jack C

We have a 1981 Mayflower 48/Stadel 48. Center cockpit. King size aft bed, half bath, enormous open saloon.
Look for eighties cruisers like this but for around $100k expect a major refit which will be very expensive unless you can do most of the work yourself.

I think your quest may be mission impossible.

Good luck
Jack C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 23:52   #40

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 44

Coconuts333,

I sent you a PM

Cheers,
Rick
michaelratinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 00:14   #41

Boat: Spindrift 46 Center Cockpit

Would suggest looking at a Spindrift 46, Kelly Peterson 46, Formosa 46. All out of a similar mold. Earliest years around 1978. Similar layout to Hylas 47 except for our compassion way to the aft cabin. Some of the Hylas designs also have another stateroom on the port side which we do not. Ours is the Spindrift 46 from 1983. It seems that most of these boats are sailing around the world somewhere. Except ours, though that could change. We certainly won’t sail ours.
Most don’t have ALL of those wants.
We have a center cockpit, with a companion way to the aft cabin as well as to the main salon.
The aft berth is a queen, as is the forward v-birth. Each has a full head.
Their is a pilot berth in the starboard side and with the table down and using the pilot berth in the main salon you could sleep 8. We’ve never done that because I think you can’t have more than 2 people per head.
So mostly it’s the two of us and our dogs, or just me when my wife can’t go.
We have a cutter rig which means it’s difficult to tack the sail around the staysail stay. Some folks get rid of the staysail or have one that’s removable.
My wife doesn’t like to day sail. So, since we are always sailing to a fairly distant destination, we rarely need to tack.
It’s hard to beat a cutter rig for flexibility in a sail plan to match the weather.
We have a large fridge and separate freezer. The heads are electric. We have a dinghy on davits, a stack pack. Both the staysail and Genoa roller fuel. We have a digital radar and other modern instruments. We hold 280 gallons if water and 180 gallons of diesel.
It’s a modified full keel.
But, no ac, no water maker, no washer and dryer, no electric winches. We could add them but probably won’t.
If you go to the KP44 forum you will find some for sale. The KP came in both 44 and 46 versions. Spindrift only produced the 46. Typical prices are about $100,000.
Lots of external wood including teak decks which we really love.
We will never sell the boat as long as we keep sailing. I’m 72 and my wife is in her late 60’s but we have several more years to go before we stop. It’s really easy to single-hand our boat. We feel comfortable in almost any weather. Check one out.
frantzjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 04:33   #42

Boat: Montevideo 43

Sailed from South Africa to Maryland USA. Montevideo 43. Interprotect on hull. Bow thruster. Busy with antifoul. Glass bead blasted all antifoul off. Garmin forward looking sonar, radar, VHF, AIS, 720xs chartplotter, wind , speed. Hf radio. Iridium go, windgen , solar array. Completely off grid power. 6V trojan house batteries. 690Ah. Then dedicated starter batt for 54 hp Yanmar. Dedicated battery for windlass and bow thruster. TV , FM radio. Electric Lewmar 65 winch. Assym spinny in sock. Spectra watermaker, drawer type Fridge freezer. Propane stove and oven. Electric toilet . Lots more. This is our current home. Not a dockside vessel. We are travelling the globe. Want to buy a trawler to do the great loop. $65k Removable hard top. Centre cockpit. Dinghy with 2.5 suzuki, LED nav and inside lights throughout, inverter, solar control. Roller furler foresail, stackpack and lazyjacks,6 man liferaft, EPIRB, fans throughout, NO AIr con. Domestic unit ( 110V)for dockside...
Jannie Radiance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 05:04   #43

Boat: Elan Impression 434

Good luck with the search. It’s always a process. We bought an Elan Impression 434 in Grenada and have been super happy with it. It was sailed by the previous owners from South Africa. A bit north of your budget, but check it out, in the end it’s more the crew than the boat! We’re now in Maine and glad we came up this way. Here’s a link: https://m.sailboatlistings.com/view/86958
markbmatthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 07:36   #44

Boat: Hylas 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakkum View Post
I have a HYLAS 44 1991 FOR SALE

€50. 000.Of course she needs some work

but...

Really good price for your Hylas 44. I sold mine more than twice this price last year in three days. Best boat I ever own, fast, seaworthy, confortable. I had this boat for 15 years.
See the broker video made last year
https://youtu.be/enfFOpFyAkY
Northbound44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 08:26   #45

Boat: Pearson 367

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northbound44 View Post
Really good price for your Hylas 44. I sold mine more than twice this price last year in three days. Best boat I ever own, fast, seaworthy, confortable. I had this boat for 15 years.
See the broker video made last year
https://youtu.be/enfFOpFyAkY
Getting a 50k euro hylas is like getting a $2000 Mercedes. Buyer beware!

The Bristol 41.1 would fit your budget but I think the aft queen berth is awarthship. Great boats, you might be able to get a good deal on a 45.5 but don't hold your breath.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue water, cabin, cruise, cruiser, water