Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2017, 11:49   #16

Re: Westerly 33 Ketch, have to sell

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
Has the osmosis been fixed and how many hours on the engine ?
Hi!
It had a anti osmotic treatment done in 2015. She got 9layers epoxi + 6 layers epoxi primer back then.
Isaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 12:00   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yowieboy View Post
If this boat were located in Europe, I would be interested, but unfortunately I don't have enough experience yet to buy it in the Caribbean and sail it back myself.

Nevertheless, a few questions if I may (answer at your discretion):

The diesel engine has obviously been replaced by an electric motor and a large battery bank. How did/does that solution play out? I imagine that even with 750AH, the range for motoring would be quite limited.

The description mentions 1000W of solar panels but the photo from the mast top shows only what may be two panels mounted vertically on the lifelines (?). Where are the other panels mounted?

Can the battery bank for the motor be charged from solar, and where does the power for running the water maker come from?
Hello Yowieboy,

Ok, let's see. The pic from abov was when we painted the deck beige & we didn't have davits at that time so the old solar panels wereounted on the rail.

Right now, we have two new 250w 24v solar panels mounted on the davits. This giving 500w @ 24v & 1000w @ 12v.
We also installed a flex max f80 solar regulator that allowed to charge the engine bank @ a different voltage than the house bank as it can charge anything from a 10 to 96v bank.

Also, the watermarker runs currently of the engine bank as we hardly depleet the engine battery bank more than a 15% normally. Also, here in the Caribbean with 1000w solar the house bank & engine bank are charged in not too much time.

Regarding how it turned out, i would say great as electric is becoming everyday more common and soon i hope electricity storage to be more advanced, however we haven't come into a siyuation where the bank was empty after cruising a year in the Canary islands and now 6months in the aaribbean.

I would however maybe consider (if i were to cross to the Pacific) to double the bank (@ a cost of around 1000$ just for more range although having a boat with electric motor means that you are not very keen in using the engine for days on end.

Hope this clears your doubts,
Feel free to ask any more questions!
Old 04-08-2017, 12:04   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguy68 View Post
I'd be interested if I had the experience to sail it from sint maarten to the us....I'm a strong believer in electric propulsion (what brand?). The price of the boat with all that's on it, is amazing......I'm sure you'll sell it pretty quick.
Hi Shyguy,

The motor is made by montenergy @ medium revs for high thrust.

I could offer to sail her up to the east coast of the states but, that would have to Ben in October or so, but as i really have to sell to be able to go back to Europe, we could negotiate the price so you can store here here in a port or on the hard until me or someone else can sail her up.

Sadly I'm in a rush & can't find a few weeks to sail her right now.
Old 04-08-2017, 12:30   #19

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Wow...thats a lot of boat for the price!

What is the range with the current batteries....take a guess if you have to. And what speed does she do under electric power...cruise and max?

Not to be rude, but how much is the current monthly fee for the mooring ball?

Thanks.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 12:42   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Wow...thats a lot of boat for the price!

What is the range with the current batteries....take a guess if you have to. And what speed does she do under electric power...cruise and max?

Not to be rude, but how much is the current monthly fee for the mooring ball?

Thanks.
Guessing, 6hours or so.

It depends on how much wind/waves there are obviously.
Max might be around 5.7-6 & cruising 4.2-5..As with a 30-40hp engine

No, no probs..The mooring buoy is 150€/month and it's basically in the lagoon & it belongs to a marina.
Old 04-08-2017, 16:39   #21

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Thanks for the quick answers. I love the idea of the electric drive. Really makes it a sailboat. Quiet, clean, no fumes, no dragging fuel cans around. I've been on too many deliveries where we just run the engine and never crack a sail.

So, just to be clear, if I give you money I can basically move onto the boat and start living the dream...no 2 years searching for the right boat, followed by another 2 years of rebuilding (and spending more $)...just buy it and go...sounds too good to be true.

Final question. Price in Canadian dollars?
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 16:59   #22
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy Isaak!

Nice looking boat. I saw it posted on Facebook earlier today and admired the photos.

I like that the interior has some wood facing added (the pine wood). Is that fixed to the hull with glue or screws or how? IF you did that yourself, please describe.

Also, I liked seeing the photos, and the photo of your forward V berth cabin is very nice (looks inviting and "light" and cozy. However the one photo I saw of your saloon area (seen from the POV of the Companionway) appears less quality (light on lens) so that it is not showing the entire saloon area very well. Since the saloon is a key selling point of any boat, I encourage you to take another photo(s) to show that wide view looking forward.

Since you are trying to sell it yourself (For Sale By Owner or FSBO), you should also consider posting your boat on "Sailboatlistings.com" which is one of the larger FSBO sale listing sites, very popular, and I believe free to advertise your boat (some types of listings may have some fees). I think it is one of the best "FSBO" sites around. Make sure you mention the electric motor in your description or title, to get attention.

http://www.sailboatlistings.com

Also, I suggest you post some info about your boat in another thread here on CF that is focused on boats for sale that are asking price Less than $30K. Here is a link to that thread.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ds-147098.html

Feel free to post your boat there, along with photos, and a link to this listing you have in this forum. Someone did already post a link to this sale post, but it does not say anything or have any photos. Photos are important, along with mentioning it is an ELECTRIC powered boat.

Good luck on your sale and future sailing!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 17:06   #23

Boat: Yamaha "Mylady" 25 ft

Hi Isaak,

thanks for the informative answers!

I think you're a bit of a pioneer, because there don't seem too many small(ish) blue-water cruising sailboats with electric propulsion out there.

And it sounds like you almost have a sale already!

Best,
Yowieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 17:10   #24
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Isaak,

Because your boat is unusual with its Electric Power, I also encourage you to post a link and PHOTOS and a description of your electric conversion (your power or motor and SOLAR and battery) along with a good description of how it has worked for you, AND with a LINK to your sale listing in the Classifieds forum in the following ongoing thread I started that features descriptions of Electric Boat conversions (including boats I find for sale).

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ps-183966.html

I encourage you to write something about your experience with the Electric Motor on your boat, (range, how it does for moving your heavier cruising boat), how it works and tips or suggestions too. The thread is read by people who are interested in Electric Boats, so make sure you give a very good description (and photos) of your boat, in addition to the info on your current sale listing.

Hope that helps.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 17:52   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Thanks for the quick answers. I love the idea of the electric drive. Really makes it a sailboat. Quiet, clean, no fumes, no dragging fuel cans around. I've been on too many deliveries where we just run the engine and never crack a sail.

So, just to be clear, if I give you money I can basically move onto the boat and start living the dream...no 2 years searching for the right boat, followed by another 2 years of rebuilding (and spending more $)...just buy it and go...sounds too good to be true.

Final question. Price in Canadian dollars?
Hi again,

Well yes, that's one of the main reasons why we went electric.

Yep, we've basically crossed on this boat from Europe around 6months ago, so she's ocean going. And since then we've been cruising around the Caribbean so, she's fully functional but, as i mentioned in the extended description, i recommend buying a electronic throttle which costs from 20-200$ but, if you dont feel like spending the 200$, the one installed works just fine.

The installation of a new one is really easy. Basically it's a 3pin plug & play socket.

And regarding the price, Google & XE.com tell me that 24.000€ are 35.765 cad$

Isaak
Old 04-08-2017, 17:54   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Howdy Isaak!

Nice looking boat. I saw it posted on Facebook earlier today and admired the photos.

I like that the interior has some wood facing added (the pine wood). Is that fixed to the hull with glue or screws or how? IF you did that yourself, please describe.

Also, I liked seeing the photos, and the photo of your forward V berth cabin is very nice (looks inviting and "light" and cozy. However the one photo I saw of your saloon area (seen from the POV of the Companionway) appears less quality (light on lens) so that it is not showing the entire saloon area very well. Since the saloon is a key selling point of any boat, I encourage you to take another photo(s) to show that wide view looking forward.

Since you are trying to sell it yourself (For Sale By Owner or FSBO), you should also consider posting your boat on "Sailboatlistings.com" which is one of the larger FSBO sale listing sites, very popular, and I believe free to advertise your boat (some types of listings may have some fees). I think it is one of the best "FSBO" sites around. Make sure you mention the electric motor in your description or title, to get attention.

http://www.sailboatlistings.com

Also, I suggest you post some info about your boat in another thread here on CF that is focused on boats for sale that are asking price Less than $30K. Here is a link to that thread.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ds-147098.html

Feel free to post your boat there, along with photos, and a link to this listing you have in this forum. Someone did already post a link to this sale post, but it does not say anything or have any photos. Photos are important, along with mentioning it is an ELECTRIC powered boat.

Good luck on your sale and future sailing!
Thank you very much for all the suggestions & help out in this community.
I'll try to get her posted tomorrow as i don't have much time right now

Isaak
Old 04-08-2017, 18:24   #27

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

40 year old boat? What do you suppose the NADA book is
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 18:42   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfin View Post
40 year old boat? What do you suppose the NADA book is
Sorry? NADA book?
Old 04-08-2017, 21:29   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

1000 watts? Power is V * I = P. 500 watts is 500 watts.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 22:21   #30

Info on the model - also read the guide notes.

WOA boats

Tags
ketch