Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2018, 12:33   #1

Boat: 1968 Haïda 26, Flush deck
* Wanted * Trailerable

Greetings,

We are looking for a trailerable sailboat that can handle coastal weather with a cabin that can accommodate 2 adults.

Something like:
Smallest Montgomery 17, nicest (and biggest) like Bill Garden 'Family Cat' 26.

Will consider ''needing TLC'' vessels.
Also interested in Gaff rig vessel and possibly interested in wood construction.

Our location is Vancouver BC Canada.

Kind regards,

a.
Coyote24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 14:30   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Watkins 27
Re: * Wanted * Trailerable

I have owned many small trailerable sailboats.

Think about the cabin height and berth height.
Do you want a cabin that you can
1. stand up in
2. sit comfortably in
3. or just a crawlspace.
I have owned all three types and at the time they were just what I wanted.

Currently I have an Alacrity 19 twin keel sailboat.
Great boat but when I am sitting on one of the berths my knees are above my hips making it harder to get up.

This was not a big problem but just something to think about.

Good luck in your search
Captain Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2018, 09:16   #3

Boat: 1968 Haïda 26, Flush deck

Thx Cpt Graham.

I have owned up to 43' but now in BC I want to be able to trailer to all sorts of areas and still be able to get to Salts Spring for example. My 'want' is '2' It is NC it gets cold it gets rainy!

Alacrity, designed by Petenson and built by Hurley in Michigan, nice boat.

I just missed a nice William Garden design 'Family Cat 26' that would have been very nice. There is a Montgomery 17 for sale but the asking price is $8.5K USD which I find outrageous for a 17' boat.

Cheers,
a.
Coyote24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2018, 14:32   #4
Marine Service Provider

If you google "sailnet boat check" you will find boat reviews from owners.

Here is my entry for my Venture 17 that I had for 8-9years
I paid $900 US for the boat, trailer, sails, everything.

Pros: Good daysailer and overnight
Cons: Not good for long sailing - see Directional Stability below

Background
I have been sailing for 35 years on a variety of sailboats and have owned my V17 for 8 years. I sail in a variety of lakes in northeast Ohio about 50% of the time on Lake Erie.
This boat fits my needs today but I will be moving up to a 23-25ft boat in a few years.

Size: Great
Boat on the trailer can fit in my garage and it is easy to trailer.

Setup time: Great
30 Min alone, 45 Min if the kids help.

Launching: Good
I have a large SUV and have no problems launching the boat.

Stability: Great
During a good breeze (30 MPH) in a small lake (no real waves) my nephew and I tried to heel the boat as far as it would go. It got to about a 40 deg heel with no water in the cockpit. This excellent stability is due to the 4 foot 200 lbs swing keel that locks into place. I have taken the boat out many times during small craft advisories in open water on Lake Erie with no problems, just double reef the main and use a storm jib.

Directional Stability: Poor
The ability to lock the tiller and have the boat stay on course is poor compared to a full keel boat. The swing keel is only about 1 ½ ft front to back & 4 ft deep allowing the boat to pivot like a top when hit by a wave. I keep thinking about sailing across Lake Erie but having to hold on to the tiller the entire way (50 Miles @ 3 Knots is about 16 Hours) would be very tiring.

Pointing into the wind: Poor
Also due to the keel design the boat does not point into the wind well.
It points best if the heel is keep at about 15 Degs.

Speed: OK
Having a heavy keel and being 17 ft long the top speed in Lake Erie is about 5 knots.
Once as a test I have removed all extra weight in the boat, when out on a small lake during a good breeze and was able to plane (get the boat on top of the water) for a few moments. I would guess I was going about 7-8 knots for a few moments.

Over night: OK
The cabin is really a crawl space. It can sleep 2 adults and 2 kids but it will be tight.
Most of the time, I put a board down in the cockpit and sleep outside and have 2 kids sleep in the cabin. It is a lot of fun going out at night and watching the stars with the kids.

Wifeability: Poor
My wife does not like the boat because it does not have a head. So if you want to get way from your wife this is a great boat.
Old 29-12-2018, 18:27   #5

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

I was considering the West Wight Potter 19 at one time.

GF has a Halman 19? 20? But these are not easy to find. Trailerable, very salty little boat. Averaged 5 knots crossing Lake Pontchartrain on a broad reach from its old berth on the North Shore to Orleans Marina. I could see a single person with few interests or belongings living aboard either one. Coastal cruising, maybe. Lakes/bays/sounds day or weekend sails, perfect.

Probably the most spacious trailer queen you will find is the McGregor 26. These were originally very cheap boats but now they have sort of a perverse cult status, and are priced above what they are. Still, lots of room, yeah. Mediocre sailers. Some models take about as big an outboard as you care to mount, and sort of plane. Waterskiing, anyone? LOL. Sort of flimsy, and you can see the boat panting up in the bow in moderate sea states. Water ballast. Never had one so I am not the expert on these!
Old 30-12-2018, 13:54   #6
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
I was considering the West Wight Potter 19 at one time.

GF has a Halman 19? 20? But these are not easy to find. Trailerable, very salty little boat. Averaged 5 knots crossing Lake Pontchartrain on a broad reach from its old berth on the North Shore to Orleans Marina. I could see a single person with few interests or belongings living aboard either one. Coastal cruising, maybe. Lakes/bays/sounds day or weekend sails, perfect.

Probably the most spacious trailer queen you will find is the McGregor 26. These were originally very cheap boats but now they have sort of a perverse cult status, and are priced above what they are. Still, lots of room, yeah. Mediocre sailers. Some models take about as big an outboard as you care to mount, and sort of plane. Waterskiing, anyone? LOL. Sort of flimsy, and you can see the boat panting up in the bow in moderate sea states. Water ballast. Never had one so I am not the expert on these!
The MacGregor 26 Power Sailor is one of the most popular boats on the market today.
IMHO it is a floating camper that does not sail well or power well.
But who am I to argue with what other people like.

Funny story.
I had just spent the night out on Lake Erie on my Venture 17, with 2 of my boys.
The weather all night was a small craft advisory but the V17 can easily handle it.

Well as I was lowering the mast in the parking lot a MacGregor 26 owner came up to me and said "So you chickened out just like I did"
He had just gotten to the ramp area and looking at the weather conditions decided he was not going to go out.

We had a little chat and I explained to him that we had just spent the night out and it was just fine.

We then walked over to his boat and he gave us a nice tour.
My boys wanted me to buy one because of the nice interior.
Old 30-12-2018, 19:38   #7
Marine Service Provider

I have owned the following Trailer-able Sailboats with Cabins
1. V17 - Just a small crawlspace paid $900.
2. Yankee Seahorse 24-Low cabin that can popup- Paid $2,000
It had a raccoon living in it so it needed a lot of work
3. Kingfisher 20 Twin Keel - deeper cabin and roomy inside but not standing headroom- Paid $1,600
4. My current boat is an Alacrity 19 Twin Keel - Going back down in cabin size but still good enough-Paid $500.

If you go cheap like I do, make sure the sails are in good shape, they can cost more then the boat.
Old 30-12-2018, 20:01   #8

Going into year 12 with a Sandpiper 565. Somewhat similar to a West Wight Potter 19. We currently keep her at a slip on Lake Ontario, but we've also towed her somewhere different each summer. With planning, a couple can be out for 3 or 4 days between marina stops.

Fun to sail, moves in a puff but can also handle 20+ kt. I've crewed on another Sandpiper when we sailed one from Leamington ON to Pelee Island and then to Put-in Bay OH, in 20+ kts (measured).

We are thinking about a larger boat (maybe 25') to keep at the slip, but we also plan on keeping the Sandpiper as well, for towing to the larger cottage lakes we have around.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 19:32   #9

I have a 26-foot Catalina Capri wing keel sailboat on 2 axles factory built trailer. The cabin has a 6-foot head height. If you The boat is in Louisiana.
If you are interested you can call me 337 277 2032. My name is Mac.
ketchpearson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer, wanted