Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2021, 22:23   #1

Wanted Sailboat in New Caledonia

I want to buy a sailboat in New Caledonia. Cat or mono hull blue water cruiser. 30-55ft options. Up to $100k USD.
Camostewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2021, 00:47   #2

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc
Re: Wanted Sailboat in New Caledonia

Bula from Fiji and Happy New Year,

Hoping that you'll gain help and useful information from joining and posting in the forum.

Perhaps do a little research on sites like inautia.com, boats.com, yachtworld.com, and see what is available in your price range. Perhaps when you find something that appeals ask the forum what others think of the listing. You'll be amazed how perceptive some people here are and many have a really good eye, even from photos.

Google 'buy a boat in New Caledonia' and there are a bunch of sites that allow searching by boat's location.

Always do feel free to post your own thoughts, questions and ideas here on CF. The forum only works when people post, and 95% of members here seem reluctant. Don't be a lurker. Good luck with your search and let is know if you find anything.
Old 20-01-2021, 19:51   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hello, Camostewart,

How's your French? (Your negotiations would go better in French; there is not so much English spoken there.)

So far, New Caledonia is still closed to international travel. But there are a number of charter cats there which are getting older, and some monos as well. Whether they might meet your idea of a blue water boat is another issue. It's just a question of getting there, and seeing what's available--and of course, where to go after you leave.

Fwiw, in your price range, I'd think you might do better in the US or Europe (if you're a Francophile). The French overseas nations have very high taxes (approx 100% on luxury items), and I would imagine boats there, similarly higher priced.

Ann
Old 20-01-2021, 20:07   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Hello, Camostewart,

How's your French? (Your negotiations would go better in French; there is not so much English spoken there.)

So far, New Caledonia is still closed to international travel. But there are a number of charter cats there which are getting older, and some monos as well. Whether they might meet your idea of a blue water boat is another issue. It's just a question of getting there, and seeing what's available--and of course, where to go after you leave.

Fwiw, in your price range, I'd think you might do better in the US or Europe (if you're a Francophile). The French overseas nations have very high taxes (approx 100% on luxury items), and I would imagine boats there, similarly higher priced.

Ann
Hi Ann, I currently work in New Caledonia so am in country. I have looked at the sites mentioned and there are almost no selection for sale compared to other South Pacific countries. Finding it hard to find anything. Plus no one messages me back when I enquire. Is there a French site I am missing from my google searches?
Camostewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 04:40   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camostewart View Post
Hi Ann, I currently work in New Caledonia so am in country. I have looked at the sites mentioned and there are almost no selection for sale compared to other South Pacific countries. Finding it hard to find anything. Plus no one messages me back when I enquire. Is there a French site I am missing from my google searches?
Have you tried leboncoin.fr?
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 08:56   #6

Boat: KP 46

I saw a HR 33 for sale in the Marquesas on facebook (Sailboat Swap Shop) yesterday. Pretty easy and enjoyable sail to New Cal from there. HR is a good boat. It is on the hard in Hiva Oa.

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 10:46   #7

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camostewart View Post
I'm told you can often find great deals on boats in the PI. That's not too far from New Caledonia. The dicey part may be importing the boat.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 14:21   #8

Boat: Prout

I spent a season there in 2019. Things are not cheap, I didn't see many yachts for sail. Much better, I'd say, if in southern hemisphere would be NZ/Australia........when borders open
inchcailloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2021, 04:25   #9
cruiser

Check this one out ->

https://www.raiatea-yacht.com/index.php?page=accueil

They have a couple of boats for sale in New Caledonia.
Speaking French (which I do) is not necessary as the broker speaks excellent English.
I just had the impression that they are a bit lame in handling things why I decided to take other means to find something suitable.

Good luck

.-.- . .
Feb2021 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, cal, New Caledonia, sail, sailboat, wanted