Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2021, 13:35   #1

Wanted: Morgan 41 Out Island

Hello. First, I really enjoy this website/forum. Such a tremendous learning tool and community. We are searching for our first boat, going on 4 months of searching now. We recently surveyed an Endeavor 37 that didn't turn out very well on the survey. BUT...we got to tour a neighboring boat which was a Morgan out Island Ketch. Wow, what a great boat!

Our budget is up to 75k, and we are currently in Hilton Head area. So looking for a boat within driving distance....Florida, SC, NC, etc. I've looked extensively online at Yachtworld, Sailboatlistings, etc. Checking every day. If you are out there with one for sale, we would love to see your boat! We are NOT looking for a project boat. Thanks and Cheers.
silvyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2021, 14:33   #2

Re: Wanted: Morgan 41 Out Island

Just bought a Morgan classic 41(the late model Catalina version) a few months ago myself. I’d lean towards the classic if you can it’s a nice improvement. I really love it! Good luck on your search.
Electricsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2021, 15:01   #3

The morgan out island 41 are excellent boats for what they were designed for. Had one for a while.

Two things ....well two things that stood out, really turned my stomach.

Fuel tank in keel. I am not going to comment, it should be self evident.

Bulkheads delaminating from the hull because woven roving was used to tab them in. Once again, no comment.

Before all the screaming starts....i do not know if this is how all the OI's were built, I dare say not.
The one I had was. Thats all I am saying.

So, perhaps that little tid bit of information will be of use to you in your search.

Best of luck!

This post is for the OP, I do not care to argue or deal with the trolls.
Allied39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2021, 09:33   #4

Boat: 41' Morgan Out Island Ketch
Thumbs up Re: Wanted: Morgan 41 Out Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvyr View Post
Hello. First, I really enjoy this website/forum. Such a tremendous learning tool and community. We are searching for our first boat, going on 4 months of searching now. We recently surveyed an Endeavor 37 that didn't turn out very well on the survey. BUT...we got to tour a neighboring boat which was a Morgan out Island Ketch. Wow, what a great boat!

Our budget is up to 75k, and we are currently in Hilton Head area. So looking for a boat within driving distance....Florida, SC, NC, etc. I've looked extensively online at Yachtworld, Sailboatlistings, etc. Checking every day. If you are out there with one for sale, we would love to see your boat! We are NOT looking for a project boat. Thanks and Cheers.

There are a bunch of them out there. I sent about 8 links to my wife the other day from 41 morgan OI for sale for layout ideas for ours. We bought a 72 OI Ketch in fair shape. Its a project but we are already hip deep into it. Got the boat for a song and dance basically, so cannot complain. I have a few pics posted on the monohull section here.
nolakennedys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2021, 10:04   #5

Boat: Whitby 42

I know it's not a Morgan and it's in TX, but check out my ad on Sailboatlistings for our Whitby 42, a CC Ketch. Same ad on CF.
BobHorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2021, 10:50   #6

While the Morgan OI has some great features - sailing upwind isn't one of them. I'd take the Whitby over an OI.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2021, 13:21   #7

Unfortunately we don't have unlimited budget to travel and are really only able to travel the East coast in our vehicle. We are definitely open to other boats as time and distance allows. There are Morgan's available yes, but traveling far costs money I'd rather spend on a boat a boat purchase and refit.

On a side note, just getting brokers to call me back is its own challenge. I'm hearing from brokers that this is the busiest sales year of the last 20. Boats sell fast.

We will find our boat, for sure. Covid added extra challenges in our search. Thanks for the input all.
silvyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2021, 14:35   #8

Brokers were never good about calling back - they assume everyone is a tire kicker. (and in fairness to them -- 9 out of 10 are)

To get a broker to call back - call (never email) and say "Hi, I'm planning to buy an Out Islander 41 in the next 30 days and have narrowed it down to three boats - one of them is your listing. I'd like to come by Wednesday morning to see it"

Resist the temptation to ask a lot of questions on the phone. They rarely know anything that's not written on the listing sheet. And if you aren't willing to take the time to see the boat, you confirm the brokers suspicion that you aren't serious.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2021, 15:43   #9

Boat: 41' Morgan Out Island Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvyr View Post
Unfortunately we don't have unlimited budget to travel and are really only able to travel the East coast in our vehicle. We are definitely open to other boats as time and distance allows. There are Morgan's available yes, but traveling far costs money I'd rather spend on a boat a boat purchase and refit.

On a side note, just getting brokers to call me back is its own challenge. I'm hearing from brokers that this is the busiest sales year of the last 20. Boats sell fast.

We will find our boat, for sure. Covid added extra challenges in our search. Thanks for the input all.
Keep looking. Make the trips. We saw three different boats in person before we made our first offer. Got ours for a good price. Real good. Will we have a lot to do? Yes. But it’s worth it.
nolakennedys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2021, 07:21   #10

Boat: Passport 51

I have seen a number of these in Florida in the past, and sailed one around Bahamas. Would follow Craigslist and FSBO type sites too.
XtaSea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
morgan, wanted