Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2019, 17:50   #1

Turn Key Cruising Sailboat under 30K in Florida

My wife and I are currently in Florida for a week on a boat buying mission. We came to Jacksonville yesterday and had a look over a few boats that interested us.

All of our criteria are flexible, but we're looking for something that is NOT a "project" boat. We realize all boats have their small projects, but want to avoid boats that need work on major systems. Basically, as close to ready to full time cruise the Bahamas / Eastern Caribbean as possible.

We've been through Craigslist, YachtWorld, SailboatListings, and Facebook Marketplace, but were hoping the members here on CF might be able to point us to some that we may not have found already.

We'll be driving around Florida for the rest of the week in search of our first sailboat. We're ready for a cash sale for a boat under 30k that will accommodate the 2 of us + occasional friends/family for a year long Caribbean cruise.
tommycook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 18:30   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Turn Key Cruising Sailboat under 30K in Florida

Wow, what fun. Remember, boats that have sat even for a season, look a little funky. Also "turn key" means it starts, you need to be a little careful. Don't get something with a lot of wood or a greasy engine.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 19:12   #3

Dig around in the later pages of the below thread.......

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ds-147098.html

A few to pick from if your willing to travel, you will have to determine how turn key they are though.....

https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/...926185474.html

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2019, 10:37   #4

Because I'm really bored here's a few possibles.

https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/boa...926466192.html

https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/boa...941723296.html

https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/boa...936029533.html

https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/boa...908334093.html
WSMFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2019, 17:02   #5

Thanks for the links! We’re in Daytona now and will probably head up to Fernandina to check out that o’day 37.
We toured the Watkins 36 today. It was raining heavily in Clearwater and the boat was leaking very badly. It also had a few soft spots on deck that were cracked and leaking through to the interior. We loved the massive aft cabin, but it was a bigger project than we were up for.
Old 25-07-2019, 17:15   #6

How fun.

Let us know which boat you end up with!
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2019, 06:49   #7

Hi TCook,

That Tampa Hunter looks in good nick - and a Yanmar! (My fav engine!) But then, make sure you want a Hunter... Take her out for a sail if you can.

Stay away from the Cheoy Lee Clipper in Jacksonvulle. I would venture to say it's time for new teak decks - which could run you (I've heard estimates of) up to $40,000 on a 42' boat. Maybe others on the Forum could provide more accurate numbers than I can, though.

Good luck!
LittleWing77

(Too bad about the Watkins. Don't know much about them, but her hull profile, sailboat data and pics made it look like it fit your criteria pretty well.)
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2019, 07:29   #8

This Pearson looks really nice

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/81446

34 O'Day with alot of extras

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/81362

34 Catalina that was apparently in fresh water until 2017

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/80888
WSMFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2019, 08:35   #9
cdy

Places I would.look, Ft Peirce marinas , Green Cove Springs - 2 marinas , if you have cash for a quick sale you should easliy.find something , although late July is not.the time.for many to be advertising their boat for sa!e - it should help.you if you find one price wise but not a big selling time

There is a Cal 36 for.sale in WPB area that was my dad's - its on Fb marketplace - asking $24k but $15k should buy it , my dad did a lot.of work to it 10 years ago , great sailor.and good cruiser - it's the 36c
cdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:15   #10

Thank you all for the links and direction. We ended up seeing quite a few on our journey. We ended up in Jekyll Island where there was an Island Packet 31 for sale for $25k. It needs a little love, but seems to be in pretty good shape overall. We're scheduling the haulout this weekend, and with a little luck we'll be calling her home in the next week or two.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:26   #11

Boat: Tartan 40

Hope it works. Generally you only get 2 out of 3 unless you get very lucky:
1. Size
2. Price
3. Condition
malbert73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:29   #12

Boat: Searunner, 37

Our Tartan 34c is for sale in Titusville.

https://tampa.craigslist.org/hdo/boa...944149128.html
AKscamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 02:42   #13

An Island Packet for $25! All your searching has paid off. Hope the survey is good.

Fingers crossed!
Warmly,
LittleWing
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:56   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommycook View Post
My wife and I are currently in Florida for a week on a boat buying mission. We came to Jacksonville yesterday and had a look over a few boats that interested us.

All of our criteria are flexible, but we're looking for something that is NOT a "project" boat. We realize all boats have their small projects, but want to avoid boats that need work on major systems. Basically, as close to ready to full time cruise the Bahamas / Eastern Caribbean as possible.

We've been through Craigslist, YachtWorld, SailboatListings, and Facebook Marketplace, but were hoping the members here on CF might be able to point us to some that we may not have found already.

We'll be driving around Florida for the rest of the week in search of our first sailboat. We're ready for a cash sale for a boat under 30k that will accommodate the 2 of us + occasional friends/family for a year long Caribbean cruise.
I have a bluewater cruiser I'd like sell. we went to Europe and returned about a year ago. and my bucket list is now complete. It strong and ready to go anywhere. It is also well equipped. give me a call.....561 588 5527 I am in the West Palm Beach area the boat has just been listed on Craigs List
frankds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 08:41   #15

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommycook View Post
Thank you all for the links and direction. We ended up seeing quite a few on our journey. We ended up in Jekyll Island where there was an Island Packet 31 for sale for $25k. It needs a little love, but seems to be in pretty good shape overall. We're scheduling the haulout this weekend, and with a little luck we'll be calling her home in the next week or two.
Can you tell us how you found it? Yachtworld? Also, is it the centerboard version? Hope you're aware of the chain plate issue.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, cruising, cruising sailboat, florida, sail, sailboat