Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2021, 16:52   #1

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 44
Tayana 37 for sale

Hello all,

I am posting for a boat I am in the process of buying. It is a Tayana 37 in poor condition but savable for the right person. It is coming with the slip I am purchasing and I already have a hole in the water and do not need another one. I can proc=ived survey from 5 years ago and some photo....

Here is what I know so far

The Good:
Ta Yang interior intact and looking good.
Newer cushions.
Engine starts and runs (Perkins Prima M50)
Bilge dry
Stanchions and deck intact and tight.
No deck rot noticed from walk around.
Bowsprit appears in good working order.
It floats.... a good thing

The bad:
Wooden mast is rotten at base and at deck
I ran engine for 20 seconds and it filled interior with smoke. Needs work but runs strong. Much more I am sure but I do not take possession until Friday, More will be revealed.

I just really need this out of the slip, located in Newport Oregon. If I did not have a sailboat that I am currently outfitting i would take this on in a heartbeat. I would like 10,000 as is, obviously negotiable. To be clear, it will need a new mast and standing rigging, engine runs strong but needs attention, could be a world cruiser again. It is a great looking boat and deserves to go to someone who will restore and sail her, the locals here want me to scrap her and sell the parts for profit but that would be a travesty.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tayana.jpg
Views:	801
Size:	431.8 KB
ID:	241624   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tayana port.jpg
Views:	1358
Size:	445.3 KB
ID:	241625  

Calabasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 18:04   #2

Re: Tayana 37 for sale

Nice. Do you have interior pictures? These had several different layouts
jpwdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 20:03   #3

I will soon, I take possession on Thursday. And will spend several days just cleaning and going through the systems. It is the cutter layout, all original.
Old 06-07-2021, 11:10   #4

Boat: Islander 28

Looks like it's moored at the Embarcadero? Good luck with sale and enjoy the new slip!
BoondocksHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 14:55   #5

Boat: CL52

If you are willing to put in a couple thousand hours and 40 grand, i bet you will have a real world cruiser .
Captain Bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 18:25   #6

Yes, it is the Embarcadero. Tough to find a large enough slip in this area for my other boat, a Bruce Roberts Offshore 44. I love the Bruce Roberts and am not willing to give it up for another project......really, all I need is another project.....Hopefully this Tayana finds a good home, if no one is willing to take it on I have a friend who will put it on his land as a guest house, would be a shame but may end up being its fate.

Below is pic of the GIGGLR GIGGLE, my BR Offshore 44
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1867.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	433.4 KB
ID:	241667  
Old 07-07-2021, 08:20   #7

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

We had an Offshore 44 about 20 years ago, a surprisingly good sailor, so I understand.

Good luck with the sale!
Old 07-07-2021, 08:36   #8

What year? If you really want it gone, consider paying someone 10K to take it off your hands! LOL
P3sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 09:33   #9

Boat: Islander 28

Nice one! (The Offshore 44)
I'm in Newport, as well, but I'm with ya on the projects: too many. Dang, I've got a big soft spot for those Tayanas.
BoondocksHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 18:08   #10

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bligh View Post
If you are willing to put in a couple thousand hours and 40 grand, i bet you will have a real world cruiser .
$40 grand? Sure...if you let a yard do all the repairs. Not all the DIYers are dead yet. Engine exhaust is probably rotted out ($500) max. Used spar $2k-$5k.

My concern would be the teak decks.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 23:18   #11

Celestial sailor, you are right about the exhaust, rotted out at the baffle in the lazarette, less than $500 to fix. Idid find a keel stepped used mast for $1,100 that would work. Then it would just need wiring, spreaders, sheets, halyards, mast light, wind instrument, standing rigging, turnbuckles, a boom, perhaps a sail boat needs sails, maybe a wench or two. HAHA, I know boats and know better, even though I do all my own work I know how the costs add up which is why I stick to one hole i the water at a time.. The teak deck appears good, defiantly not one of the top 20 issues with the boat. I am far more concerned with the thru hulls, hoses attached to said thru hulls, the steerage cables, the fuel tanks and lines etc. It needs gone thru from one end to the other before crossing the bar. Not insurmountable by any means, boat is definitely worth it, just not for me right now.

I have had a chance to spend more time on the boat and it runs well, the exhaust leak is easy fix and it shifts to forward and reverse. It could move but there is still the issue of a rotten mast, a really rotten mast at the keel to the point that the standing rigging is loose, far worse than I initially thought.

I have decided to back out of the purchase, the rotten mast is too much of a liability and the reality that It will likely cost me 5 grand plus to safely move the hulk instead of being able to sell it makes for a math problem for my bank account. Thankfully the owner is understanding and this has motivated him to come to town to inspect the boat, which he has not seen for years, and to face the reality that it is not the majestic and seaworthy beauty it once was. Heartbreaking in a way.
Old 07-07-2021, 23:46   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calabasa View Post
Celestial sailor, you are right about the exhaust, rotted out at the baffle in the lazarette, less than $500 to fix. Idid find a keel stepped used mast for $1,100 that would work. Then it would just need wiring, spreaders, sheets, halyards, mast light, wind instrument, standing rigging, turnbuckles, a boom, perhaps a sail boat needs sails, maybe a wench or two. HAHA, I know boats and know better, even though I do all my own work I know how the costs add up which is why I stick to one hole i the water at a time.. The teak deck appears good, defiantly not one of the top 20 issues with the boat. I am far more concerned with the thru hulls, hoses attached to said thru hulls, the steerage cables, the fuel tanks and lines etc. It needs gone thru from one end to the other before crossing the bar. Not insurmountable by any means, boat is definitely worth it, just not for me right now.

I have had a chance to spend more time on the boat and it runs well, the exhaust leak is easy fix and it shifts to forward and reverse. It could move but there is still the issue of a rotten mast, a really rotten mast at the keel to the point that the standing rigging is loose, far worse than I initially thought.

I have decided to back out of the purchase, the rotten mast is too much of a liability and the reality that It will likely cost me 5 grand plus to safely move the hulk instead of being able to sell it makes for a math problem for my bank account. Thankfully the owner is understanding and this has motivated him to come to town to inspect the boat, which he has not seen for years, and to face the reality that it is not the majestic and seaworthy beauty it once was. Heartbreaking in a way.
Over my years of messing around with boats, I've brought back from the dead around 6 boats and built 2 steel boats from scratch. I just loved finding a yard full of DIYers and going to marine swap meets. I hope someone buys her who is money poor and dream rich.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 10-10-2021, 20:53   #13

Just checking...did yo sell her?
Old 06-11-2021, 21:30   #14

Boat: Northwest 21 & Islander 36 (too many boats problem)

I'm also interested to know what happened to it. I'm in Salem and maybe in the market for a project.
Old 06-11-2021, 22:09   #15

It was purchased and in a barn now being restored.

Tags
for sale, sale, tayana 37