Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2021, 07:28   #1

Boat: Kennex 420/445
Pro Kennex 420/445 Catamaran 6 cabins

43’ Sailing catamaran for sale by owner. Pro Kennex 420 / 445
It was launch from the boatyard as a Pro Kennex 420 model. But it is basically a Pro Kennex 445 with shorter transoms. Same molds used, same hulls, interior, layout, width, installations, sail plan, everything.
Please do not compare with wooden catamarans (plywood core or balsa core, like Lagoon, Fountain Pajot, etc)
Price is USD 260.000.- / € 223.000.-

6 cabins. 4 double berth with private head and shower + 2 single berth cabins with door access from fore doble berth cabins and hatch access from deck.
Located currently in Mexico (Isla Mujeres) on a private mooring (included in price, if sold while the boat is in Isla Mujeres).
Most likely sailing plan is (in order to arrange for visiting):
Panama (San Blas) from December 2021 to March 2022. USA (Florida) on April 2022. Altantic crossing to Portugal in May 2022. Ibiza from June to September 2022. Portugal (Algarve) from October to November 2022. Atlantic crossing, from Portugal to Caribbean, December 2022.
Ready to sail anywhere in the world right now.
The biggest catamaran cockpit of his range.
The widest (24.7' / 7.5 mts) catamaran of his range (this width if usually found in 50 foot or larger catamarans). Catamaran safety and stability is given by its width!!!
There is no wood, plywood, balsa anywhere in the superstructure (deck, walls, bulkheads, reinforcements) of this boat. Wood and plywood was used in the interior furniture only. It is all built in polyester resin over Airex (closed cells PVC foam), using vacuum bag and infusion technics. Hulls below waterline are solid fiberglass. Very light, reliable and durable.
All the bulkheads (8 per hull) are built in fiberglass over Airex sheets and glassed to the hull. Not sika-glued like most mass production catamarans.
Designed by the world renowned Van Peteghem and Lauriot Prevost (VPLP). Was built in France in 1992. The boat is capable of sailing around the world. This catamaran has had many upgrades over the years from new sails to galley stove and new engine (2004).

In the last 2 years a full deep refit was done:

New custom built hard top bimini, made of Nidacore and fiberglass (no plywood or balsa). Designed for solar pannels installation and rain water collection. Gelcoat paint underneath and polyurethane and nonskid on top.
New sunbrella cockpit enclosure.
New curtom built fiberglass and Nidacore dinghy davits (no plywood or balsa), gelcoat painted.
New Nidacore and fiberglass cockpit table, gelcoat painted.
New paint. 7 coats of Gelcoat (everything but deck, original nonskid surface kept).
New solar panels (1800 watts) and 3 victron energy MPPT regulators.
New Victron Energy Multiplus 3000 watts 120 volts pure sine inverter/charger.
New 4x220 amp/h deep cycle AGM Victron Energy batteries. Existing 3x110 AGM batteries still working fine. Total battery service battery capacity 1200 amp/h.
New Bottom paint (one coat of pure west system epoxy + 3 coats of epoxy barrier coat primer + 3 coats of high content cupper antifouling). No need bottom paint for at least 4 more years.
All new (12) underwater thru hulls.
All new (20) hutches plexiglass lens + new rubber seals.
All new (12) portlights rubber seals.
All New (12) fiberglass custom built portlight rain covers.
Most of the plexiglass windows replaced. Rest of the windows are cutted and ready to be replaces. Not done yet because not leaking.
New sumbrella window covers.
New rudder stock bushes.
New trampoline nets.
New ceiling lining and walls lining (faux leather fabric used) replaced (more than a 200 mts/yards of fabric)
New upholstery in dinnette and cockpit.
New furniture varnish.
New door frames varnish (on going).
New furniture formica laminates.
New rigid core PVC plank floating floor (water proof) in 6 cabins, dinnete, galley.
New window frames polyurethane paint.
New heads furnitures paint and formica laminates.
New head marine hoses.
New sinks and faussets in 4 heads.
New double stainless steel sink and faussets in galley.
New drawers and furnitures doors locks.
New 12 volts fans in the 6 cabins.
New top load 5 kg (11 pounds) electric washing machine.
All new flash mount ceiling LED natural lightning (cabins, galley, dinnette, cockpit).
Water maker: New membrane, new seal kit and o’rings replaced and new water pump on spectra ventura 150 deluxe (one water pump and one head pump as spare). With Z-brane system.
All 6 winches serviced in september 2021 (cleaned and greased).
Windlass was inspected, cleaned and serviced in october 2019. New brushes installed and new oil.
All new kitchen appliances (2 pounds bread maker,
New plates, cups and glasses for 8 people (never used)
New heavy dutty singer sewing machine.
Sails are in very good conditions.
Standing rigging was inspected by a rigger in November 2020 and no observations were received. Previous owner replaced in 2008.
Diesel Jerry cans for 220 liters (55 gallons).
Dinghy: Achilles (made in Japan) Fiberglass bottom, hypalon tubes 3.1 mts. Outboard Mercury 15 hp 2 strokes. Sumbrella covers (tubes and outboard) done in october 2020.
Two double kayaks with 4 paddles.

Saloon and Galley:
The cockpit entree to the saloon and galley is through aluminium/prexiglass doors with vertical hinges and can open to double width when wanted. The saloon with 6 ft plus head-room, has seating for 8. The saloon table has a fiberglass fridge cabinet underneath. Compressor and plate were not installed.
There is a built-in seating on three sides with a large amount of storage underneath. A navigation table is adjacent to the saloon table, of which the top opens-up to access the washing machine.
To the right of the navigation table is the Raytheon 24 mile radar, VHF radio, Hi-Seas Icom IC-M700 single sideband radio, Boss 644UA MP3-compatible Am/Fm radio & CD, and a simrad GPS + AIS transponder.
The galley with 6 ft. head-room, has a new stainless steel double sink, 4 burner stainless steel LPG electric ignition stove and stainless steel oven.
There is a plentiful amount of storage for glasses, dishes, food, etc. on the shelves and in drawers below the burner, the oven, and the 66 inch separator counter/cabinet in the galley area. The freezer and refrigeration is built-in to the bulkhead located below the large port/window in the Galley area. Second freezer is a portable 12v/110v Engel.
They each have separate doors and total about 5 cubic feet and the system DC compressor (Danfoss) controlled by a digital programmable thermostat. The 2 propane tanks that supply the 4 burner stove and the oven are located in a locker outside in the cockpit starboard side which has open ventilation in the bottom.
The propane tanks connect to a Trident Marine L.P. gas duel control & detection system including alarm sensors there and inside in and under the gas burners.
Two separate water tanks (one in each keel) each with a 400 lts capacity have separate pumps with individual on/off switches located in the saloon and each tank has a check-valve in the line, allowing either tank to supply water to any outlet on the boat without any effect on the other tank.

Port and Starboard Hulls:
On each side of the saloon is a stairway leading to the berthing in the hulls with headroom 6 ft. plus throughout. Each hull has 3 separate cabins, each with its own entry door. Two cabins have a double size berth and private head, wash basin with storage under, and a shower. Each shower area has a drain area and sump pump (there is also a fifth shower, at the outside steps aft on the starboard side, good for washing off the salt after swimming. The 4 cabins have both hanging cabinets and drawer cabinets for clothes. as well as a seat with storage under. The two aft cabins each have a writing desk with storage for paper, pads, pens, etc. In the forepeak of each hull is a single berth cabin for a total of 10 berths on board.

Propulsion:
Both 30 hp diesel (straight shaft transmission) are in very good working conditions. Might need a cosmetic touch up paint job, but starting right away and not consuming oil. Located in the aft of each hull are the huge engine rooms, with a watertight bulkhead (airex and fiberglas) separating them from the rest of the boat. Entry is by a large hatch from above at the top of the steps. Both engines are 30 hp 3 cylinder diesels. The port engine is a beta marine type BD1005, the starboard engine a Perkins. The footprint, dimensions, weight, HP, are the same. Transmissions are Hurth ZF-15 miv (2.134: 1) v-drive, propelling 16 inch 3 blade propellers. The steering is rack and pinion.

The Rig:
Mast Height about 60ft above the water. Fixed Bridges on ICW have 65ft clearance at mean High Water. The Main is Heavy Duty, Loose Footed with Lazy Jacks, an outhaul and three Reefing Lines from the sail over sheaves go through the Boom to cams at the Mast. The main sail cover is a Mack Pack (with lazy jack) with both a Zipper and Twist Snaps. Material SUNBRELLA®. The Jib/Genoa is PROFURL Furling and sail cover material is SUNBRELLA fabric. There are 2 Asymmetric spinnakers, including sheets, blocks, etc.

All Winches are Andersen, Two Speed, and Self Tailing. Six total, Two 52ST, and Four 46ST.

The Cockpit:
The cockpit has a nearly 4x5ft table (Nidacore, new) )that can seat 8 people. Yet, by folding down the leafs, it collapses to just 8 inches x 5ft. Underneath the sitting areas are large deep storage lockers. Below the Deck is the "Garage”. Lifting either of the 2 Deck Grates allows access to storage spaces, each about 3ftx 10ft.x 1.5ft. Running to the stern, where each half of the "Garage" has its own opening hatch, large enough to store a Surf Board, outboard, etc. Can be accessed from above or via the Deck Grates.

Specifications:
Builder: Pro Kennex Multicoques.
Designer: Van Petheghem/Lauriot Prévost
Make/Model: Pro Kennex 420
Year Built: 1992
Flag: USA
Construction: Vacuum-bagged process and composite sandwich technique including the use of carbon-fibre technology
LOA : 42 ft 9 in (13.15 m.)
LWL : 40 ft 4 in (12.3 m.)
Beam : 24 ft 7 in (7.5 m.)
Draft : 4 ft 0 in (1.2 m.)
Mast Height: 60' 0" (18.3 m.)
Displacement: 18000 lbs / 8165kg
Sails: Heavy Duty, Loose Footed, Full batten Mainsail
Genoa: PROFURL Furling, 500 sf, Sunbrella cover
Spinnakers : 2 ( Asymmetrical 1120 sf) (Triradial 1240 sf)
"Mack Pack" Sunbrella cover
Engines: 2 x Diesel (Starbd. Perkins 3 cyl. 30 hp. Port, Beta Marine 3 cyl. 30 hp. coupled to V-Drive, Hurth Transmissions
Keels: 2 (approx. 2 ft. x 12 ft)
Freeboard: 6 ft.(1.83m)
Opening Ports: 34 (all open/close)
Cruising Speed: 7 knots @ 2800 RPM
Water Tank: 2 (Stainless, in keels) 100 gallons / 380 ltr.
Fuel Tank: 2 x 75 Gallons (570 ltr.)
Holding Tank: 1 x 21 gal. (160 ltr)
Cabins: 6
Double Berths: 4
Heads: 4
Showers: 5 - ( 4 in cabins, 1 deck shower at rear boarding area)

Accommodations:
4 Double cabins with 8 Berths
Berth in each Hull Forepeak (making 10 total)
4 heads
showers : 5 (4 in cabins, 1 at aft boarding area)
Standing headroom: 7ft 2”
Fans in each cabin
Tons of storage under central seating area
Salon Hanging closets and dresser drawers
Reading Lights over Berths
Doors to all cabins
Doors to all Heads

Electronics & Navigation:
Steering compass at each helm
Autopilot at helm
3 Depth meters at helm.
IC-M422 Icom VHF Radio at helm (separate antenna on rail).
Self-Steering Fleming WIND VANE
INTERPHASE COLOR 1200 ft. Forward Looking 600 ft. Depth SONAR UNIT (stoped working suddenly last year. Must be checked by a technician.
ICOM IC-M700 PRO Single Side-Band Radio and ICOM antenna Tuner (currently not installed).
24 Mile Raytheon Radar
2 x VHF Radio

GALLEY:
LED lighting
4 burner stove
Separate oven
Fridge 5 cu. ft
TRIDENT Marine L.P. Gas Control
Gas Detection System with Alarm Sensors
2 cutlery drawers

Electric:
Shore power in transom.
XANTREX LINK 2000 Battery Monitor
Victron Energy Battery monitor.
6 large Solar Panels (1800 watts total) and 3 MPPT Victron Energy regulators.
Automatic Battery Switch Combiner
3 150 amp hour AGM house batteries
4 220 amp hour AGM victron Energy 2019 house batteries.
2 150 amp hour deep cycle start batteries
30 amp SOUTHWEST WIND GENERATOR
2 pressure pumps (1 for each water tank)
4 x 12V automatic bilge pumps
2 x manual bilge pumps

Cockpit:
Custom built Nidacore and fiberglass hard top bimini over cockpit
2 Steering Stations (1 each hull}
5 Ft. table (folding Leafs)
Seating for 8+
Large Storage lockers under seating
Large Storage below cockpit deck
Custom 2021 sumbrella cushions for all seatings.
Horseshoe Throw Life Saver

Engine & Mechanical:
SPECTRA VENTURA 150 Gal. per day WATERMAKER
Hot water system (11 gal hot water heater and engine heat exchanger)
Diesel Engine: Starbd. Perkins 3 cyl. 30 hp.
Diesel Engine: Port, Beta Marine 3 cyl. 30 hp
Water tanks: 2 (in keels) about 800 lts. total
Fuel tanks: 400 lts total.

Deck & Equipment:
5 Andersen 2 Speed, Self Tailing Winches
Andersen 2 Speed, Self Tailing Winch (on Mast)
Custom Sun Screen for Saloon Ports
Lots of spare parts and tools.
Custom built fiberglass dinghy davits.
Stainless steel Outboard crane.
Anchoring / Docking:
LOFRAN 1200 WATT ANCHOR WINDLESS
250 ft 3/8 Hi-Test Galvanized Anchor Chain.
Stainless steel 60 pounds custom built anchor
Fortress 20 pounds aluminium spare anchor.
Fenders and dock lines

Safety:
2 Emergency tiller
10 Person Inflatable Liferaft (last check is expire)
EPIRB (PLB new in 2019)
Flares
Medical kit
18 life vests (2 autoinflatable)
Fire extinguishers.
11 diesel jerry cans

Electric Tools:
2 Makita 115V orbital sanders.
1 Makita cordless drill.
1 Makita cordless impact driver.
1 115V generic drill.
1 Makita 115V Angle Grinder.
1 Weller 115V soldering iron.
1 115V Dremel multitool, 1 115V generic heat gun.
Several electric and mechanical materials and tools.

*Charter (at standard charter prices) with captain and cook (current owners) can be arranged for potential buyers. Actual buyer will receive complete charter payment refund.
*Delivery by current owner possible, after contract (free of fees or payment, marinas and diesel expenses only on buyer).
Email contact: kennex420@tutanota.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kennex 10.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	247198   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kennex int 2.jpeg
Views:	336
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	247199  

Name:	Kennex 45.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	247200   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kennex 60.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	247201  

Name:	Kennex int 5.jpeg
Views:	367
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	247202   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kennex int 9.jpeg
Views:	287
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	247203  

Old 22-10-2021, 08:04   #2

Boat: Fountaine Pajot / Venezia 42
Re: Pro Kennex 420/445 Catamaran 6 cabins

I have an ad looking for a Kennex. Obviously you did not see it.
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...an-246810.html

Interested, but this is way too expensive for a 29 years old boat. That's probably more expensive than price of new in 1992.

I guess, I will have to wait
Good luck
Old 22-10-2021, 08:42   #3

Hi SCARGO,
Thanks for your comment!

If you are looking exclusively for a Kennex, I am sure you already know that all of mass production "fiberglass" catamarans (even new, no matter age), are made of wood (plywood or balsa). So most of catamarans in the market are actually wooden catamarans. People don't realize...
I saw plywood bulkheads even in Catanas and Outremer !

This boat is not for someone that can not see the difference between a lagoon / Fountain Pajot and a Kennex. I know you can and that is why you are looking for one.

The boat is well priced according to actual condition, equipment, characteristics and building specs.

Anyway if you believe this one is not the righ Kennex for you, I wish you the best of lucks finding the one that fits your needs and expectations !!
Cheers !!
Cristian
Old 22-10-2021, 09:11   #4

Thank you Cristian,
What is the hull # of your Kennex ? you bought her new ? when did you buy her ?
Old 22-10-2021, 10:01   #5

You are welcome !
This is the hull number 2. I bought her in 2019. My original plan was to refit her completely, comfort and safety, big solar capacity and electric motors. I did it all (during the last 2 years, full time, no stop) but the electric motors.
Actual engines are working very well, it was just my dream to have electric.
Plans changed due to covid. I was expecting to do charter and to be able to receive friends and family onboard while far from home. Parents can not longer come (due to age and covid) and charter business future is unknown. So I decided to sell her and go back home and work on a normal job for a while.
Anyway (if not sold before) I will be sailing her in Caribbean until march and across the Atlantic to Europe in May.
That is why I am also offering to delivery her anywhere in the world, to enjoy her a little bit more after selling her!
Old 22-10-2021, 11:56   #6

[QUOTE=cristianf;3506663]You are welcome !
This is the hull number 2. I bought her in 2019. /QUOTE]

I see, this is Scot Free. I too was interested in buying her in 2019 when she was for sale for 79 900$ USD

Unfortunately I was busy with work.

I simply don't see what justifies the 225% increase in the price in two years. This market is insane

Name:	DOCKSIDE 007.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	412.8 KB
ID:	247209Click image for larger version

Name:	BuildPlate.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	247210
Old 22-10-2021, 12:30   #7

No, wrong! She WAS Scott Free.
Now she is a turnkey beauty = Scott Free + $65000 in materials + $120000 in labor during the last 2,5 years

The market is not insane. Money has less value every year due to inflation. Specially USD due to insane money printing...

By the way. Have you bought any boat in this 2.5 years?

Cheers
Old 23-10-2021, 09:11   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristianf View Post

By the way. Have you bought any boat in this 2.5 years?

Cheers

Since you asked ...

I sold my boat (-20% off the asking price. And I am a happy seller)
I helped 3 of my friends buy 2 monohulls and one multihull (Fall 2020). A 2008 nautitech 44 with new rigging and very low engines' hours. One owner, never chartered. Sold for 140K € (163K $ USD). I almost bought a 2004, 42ft Erik Lerouge design (with new engines and new rigging. This boat crossed the Atlantic in 11 days) for 87K € in Langkawi (a little bit too far from home. The galley had to be reuilt which is not a big deal for me).

Hope this will help you evaluate the real market value of your yacht. Please read this thread to help yourself.

Obviously none of these boats were sold or bought in the US. This last year particularly, the market is insane in the US. People were locked down (maybe, maybe not) watching YouTube celebrities telling them they can live for free on the water (not the ocean). Without telling them anything about boat maintenance, navigation or safety. So they bite at these kinds of ads.

My last comment here. I wish you good luck with your boat.
Old 23-10-2021, 17:17   #9

I just realize you came to my post to give useful and valuable unsolicited advises !!! Thank you, I really appreciate all kind of information a fender kicker can provide!

Please honor your word: "My last comment here. I wish you good luck with your boat".
Thanks again.
Old 25-10-2021, 23:22   #10

Boat: 1979 CHB 41 Trawler

Can you provide the headroom, particularly in the galley?
Old 26-10-2021, 11:33   #11

Yes, of course.
When standing in front of the sink, headroom is 1.75 mts (5' 9").
When standing in front of the stove, headroom is 1.80 mts (5' 11").
Old 26-10-2021, 11:43   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristianf View Post
Hi SCARGO,
Thanks for your comment!

If you are looking exclusively for a Kennex, I am sure you already know that all of mass production "fiberglass" catamarans (even new, no matter age), are made of wood (plywood or balsa). So most of catamarans in the market are actually wooden catamarans. People don't realize...
I saw plywood bulkheads even in Catanas and Outremer !

This boat is not for someone that can not see the difference between a lagoon / Fountain Pajot and a Kennex. I know you can and that is why you are looking for one.

The boat is well priced according to actual condition, equipment, characteristics and building specs.

Anyway if you believe this one is not the righ Kennex for you, I wish you the best of lucks finding the one that fits your needs and expectations !!
Cheers !!
Cristian
My Fountaine Pajot Mahe 36 is solid below the waterline and PVC foam cored, same as this. Not a bit of plywood or balsa in it. I'm sure yours is a nice boat, but trashing other brands isn't a great sales technique....especially when it's not even accurate!
Old 26-10-2021, 12:56   #13
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
My Fountaine Pajot Mahe 36 is solid below the waterline and PVC foam cored, same as this. Not a bit of plywood or balsa in it. I'm sure yours is a nice boat, but trashing other brands isn't a great sales technique....especially when it's not even accurate!
Same with my FP Marquises. I was going to let it go because it's so obvious that "all of mass production "fiberglass" catamarans (even new, no matter age), are made of wood (plywood or balsa)" isn't true. Now, my cabinets are made out of wood, and I like that.
Old 26-10-2021, 14:30   #14

Hi redneckrob,
I am not trashing any brand. I am sorry if you perceived that way.
Bulkheads, in most of mass production boats, are made of plywood. May be not the Mahe. I never inspected one, so I can not tell. I did inspected several Catanas and Outremer and they had plywood bulkheads. Also inspected Lavezzi, Belize, Salina..and many other of your brand... all Plywood bulkhead. All lagoons... plywood...
I am not saying plywood or balsa is good or bad. I am just describing this boat and advising not to compare with other that are not built the same way or with the same materials.
Should I hide the differences to avoid owners of other brands to feel frustrated? I don't think so. Might be many people out there who loves plywood or balsa or strip planking (wood) or cold molded (I love those) boats or solid fiberglass....
Different materials and different building technics have different building cost.
Some people is coming to the conclusion that if a manufacturer use the cheapest material in a structural part of the boat (just to save a couple bucks) then this manufacturer can not be trusted and as a result the value of this boats will depreciate.

I could trash some brands detailing about osmosis (below and above water line in a very well known catamaran brand. Or bulkhead issues in another very well known brand. Or rotten balsa decks where deck hardware is installed...even bulkhead glued with sikaflex instead of glassed to the hull and deck. Or decks glued with sikaflex to the hulls, instead of glassed.
But I am not doing this because it is not my business. I just want to
I just wanted to make clear that this boat will never have a rotten part in any of its structural components and it might be a plus / peace of mind for some prospect buyers.

I hope it is clear now
Old 26-10-2021, 15:43   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Same with my FP Marquises. I was going to let it go because it's so obvious that "all of mass production "fiberglass" catamarans (even new, no matter age), are made of wood (plywood or balsa)" isn't true. Now, my cabinets are made out of wood, and I like that.
Hi Palarran,
Thanks for your comment.
Yes, you are absolutely right and I should correct that.. I think I should have said "use wood" instead of "are made of wood" that could be understood as "completely made of wood", which is not the case in some cats like FP, Nauticech and probably others, where at least hulls are foam core.

I also like wood in furniture, cabinets and cosmetic parts of the boat.
If we talk about structural parts (Hull, Deck, Bulkhead) it is of my preference a material that is not affected by moisture or water.
It is just my preference and by explaining and describing the technical characteristics of my boat I am trying to reach those who have the same preferences.

BTW I like very much Marquises 56! How does she performs under sails?
I never had the chance to sail or to ask an owner before. I would guess that she can make 55/60% of apparent wind speed in most conditions (between 10 and 18 knots of true wind speed), but just guessing...

Thanks again.
Closed Thread

Tags
airex, cabin, catamaran, cruising boat for sale, divinicell, foam core, kennex420, kennex445, liveaboard, prokennex, turnkey