Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2018, 18:25   #1

Please Help us find our Liveaboard Catamaran

Right now my wife and I are in the beginning stage of looking for our used (new) to us catamaran as our home for at least the next five years to see as much of the world as we can. We have absolutely no sailing experience but plan on this being part of this next learning curve of our lives.
Our house went under agreement the other day. We are looking to close on August 31.
Our plan is to drive down to Pompano Beach sometime around September 20th to start our search.

We are looking for an owners version between 40-46 feet. Our budget will be somewhere between $275-300,000 cash. Our plan is to take our time looking for the right boat that will be the “right boat for us” and one that will fit within our budget.

We have been researching just about every boat out there online over the last couple of years and reading many, many forums on each. Learning the positives and negatives of each manufactured model of the big three production and the semi production models. We have gone to boat shows and talked with many brokers about what our plans are.
Yes, we have been told more than once that we should charter a couple of different catamarans that we might be interested in to see what we like. With our limited budget above, I think we need to save the money for the boat.

I know that there is no perfect cat out there and there are compromises for each individual. First, we want an owners version as first and foremost it seems they would hold their value more than a 4 SR charter version. Something that can perform well under rough conditions. We also want a boat that is in excellent well taken care of condition that was recently refitted or will not need any refitting for a few years well equipped and low engine hours.

Some of the cats that we have our eyes on are Leopards, Privilege (expensive) Catana (expensive) not quite sure about performance on Fountain Pajot and Lagoon. Any other (special) manufactured cat that has the above qualities would also be of interest to us.
Any cruisers out there finishing there cruising adventure and ready to sell in late September early October please let us know.

I would certainly appreciate any feedback on your thoughts.

Thanks in advance for all of your input.
swpalmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 03:14   #2

Boat: Com-Pac Eclipse
Re: Please Help us find our Liveaboard Catamaran

I think the question is, in addition to the initial expense, what is your budget for ongoing expenses? You may be better off scaling down, with lot's of budget for repairs and unexpected expenses, than tipping the scale at what you can afford up front.

Also, there's nothing to say you can't upgrade in a couple of years. Learning to sail should be easier in an under 40', but then, I grew up sailing. I'll let you know after I've taught my wife to captain, whilst I man the sheets.

All the best and good luck!
NCGunDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 04:56   #3

NCGunDude, thank you for the quick reply. I should have mentioned that we are budgeting $275-$300,000 for the boat and should have $25-35,000 for our living budget to start with plus monthly income coming in also.

Part of our plan is to hire a certified captain (ASA)instructor to spend maybe a week to 10 days on board teaching us the ropes and the systems of the boat. From that point baby steps and spreading our wings as we go; for a year or so as we develop more confidence and learn, learn, learn. Believe me when I say we are going to be very humbled going into this but yet sponges to learn and gain experience.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:01   #4

Just to mention and ad to our previous thread; we certainly would not be opposed to traveling to distant place if the circumstances are right.
Thanks
Old 12-08-2018, 08:28   #5
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

There is a nice Privilege in your price range here at my marina - https://www.denisonyachtsales.com/ya...eorgia/6667317

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 08:35   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Hey, that’s my boat beside of it.
Seriously the owners are nice people, Canadians by the way, not that, that matters, but they are very experienced cruisers. Have cruised for 11 yrs so the boat is most likely well maintained with logical upgrades made by experienced cruisers, not equipment picked from brochures etc.
This isn’t a Boat that was chartered and has been owned by five different owners etc
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 08:37   #7

Boat: Lagoon 420 42 feet

i like your style and wish you the best of success. do not listen to those people that tell you not to do this or to purchase a smaller vessel. by as much boat as you can afford. i jumped right into sailing 5-years ago, purchased a boat 1-year later, and single handed her for most of the time that i have owned her. i have a 420 lagoon owners version. it is a 2009 and in excellent condition. the $250,000 to $300,000 price range you are looking for might land you an older boat, or one without many amenities or one that is beaten up and will need work. remember that even with a boat that is in great shape the cost of ownership will be equal to about 10% of the purchase price. i am now looking to purchase a power cat and have listed my sailboat for sale at $350,000. mine is loaded and is a turnkey boat that has never been chartered. my broker is mark lipkus. give him a call at 305.360.2399. the boat will be in norfolk until mid-october
johnnyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:16   #8

Just have to wonder, if you can't afford to charter a few boats, how are you going to fare once you've purchased one?? Keep in mind, that with cats you will be charged double for a slip, at many marinas, because the cat may take up the space of two mono-hulls. Also, you will have two engines and any related systems to maintain and think about. Myself, I would look into a good used mono-hull and go from there but, then again, I'm partial to mono's!
Best of luck to you and your venture, many of us don't have the "brass" to do what you're about to jump into!!
P3sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:32   #9

I’ve been keeping an eye on that “Just Imagine” for some time now. Not sure why it hasnt sold other than maybe it’s priced a little high for its age. We had planned to view it on our way down to Fla. if it’s still available.

Thanks for those inspiring word JohnnyH. I will pm you.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:35   #10

Boat: PDQ, Capella 36 catamaran

Gotta start somewhere, I applaud your courage. Did exactly the same 15 years ago. Buy that boat and stay in coastal sailing mode for a while to get some salt on you.
Observations- boats in your size/price range are up to 50K cheaper any place other than the USA. Just sayin, think about it.
A fast boat won't carry weight like a slow boat - if you want lots of stuff on board then get a "Lagoon" like boat.
You sail 10 percent of the time and sit at anchor the remainder.
Find a boat with solar panels and enuf batteries to hold that power.
Windmills are a joke .... one solar panel on an overcast day will out produce it.
Get a bread machine, vacuum food sealer, BBQ and a microwave.
Stay on the hook and you will never need A/C ... ok maybe 2 nights a year?

have fun
Spartanacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:49   #11

P3Sailor We hope while searching for our boat that maybe we will have some opportunities to trial a couple of cats on our list.
To go out and charter 2 maybe 3 vessels would be a cost we are unlikely to make.
As I stated, spending $5 to $10,000 would effect the initial cost of the boat. We will have some reserve funds to improve the boat with what will be needed. We also have a monthly income that we would be able to also improve and make some upgrades as we go.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:59   #12

Thanks Spartanicus, taking notes. I know it’s crazy but I’m reading and watching YouTube’s where many couples are doing the same. Just look at SV Zangaro�� and Tula’s Endless Summer and how relentless but happy they are on their budget, right up to The Wynns and the La Vagabond.
We couldn’t be more excited to get going on this adventure.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:14   #13

Boat: Lagoon 410 S-2 2005 41'

hi
we are a family live aboard on a Lagoon 410 in Rio Dulce, Guatemala - a paradise for boaters. sadly, we have to stop sailing and depart from our beloved boat. you may write to me: yuvalohali47@gmail.com, and i share my experience, and may be our boat will be appealing to you.
rio dulce is perfect place for begginers.
YuvalOhali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 12:40   #14
Marine Service Provider

This is what I said to the other poster who asked a similar question.

Good advise to visit the Catamaran Company in person. Most listings can also be seen on Yachtworld.com, Moorings Brokerage and other websites with plenty of photos and sometimes even videos. Note: Leopards are US import duty exempt if not already imported.

Also, most really good marinas have locked access to the docks.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 14:11   #15
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy and Welcome Aboard CF!

The following is written in a friendly tone of voice, with the sole intent to help you.

You wrote in your opening post that you have “absolutely no sailing experience.”

The suggestion that you should charter a cat or several cats first (before buying) is a wise suggestion.

My Suggestion: Take a “liveaboard” sailing course at some place that teaches classes on large catamarans, to learn about sailing a big cat and so you and your spouse can see what it is like to be on the boat offshore and at anchor etc. Do this PRIOR to selecting or buying a boat.

Most importantly, you would gain some practical instruction and some experience on a boat of similar size and in conditions you are likely to encounter (some ocean sailing in Caribbean). This experience would help you determine which boat features and designs are most important to you.

Here is an example of such a place.

For example, you could go to Grenada and take classes ON large cruising catamarans at LTD Sailing (a CF Member). That would give you some Caribbean sailing experience (they have “stay aboard” classes) and a nice vacation too.

https://www.ltdsailing.com

I don’t claim to be the most experienced sailor, but I have recently finished 2,400+ nautical miles of offshore sailing/voyaging on two (38 and 52 foot) cruising catamarans. Those experiences offshore gave me a much better appreciation of the differences between monohulls and catamarans, and some notable differences in catamaran designs, relative comfort, features, desirable things I would want on a cat, etc.

In other words, my experience on those two boats showed me that some things make a difference TO ME. I think you won’t get that feeling from watching a YouTube video or reading a comment on a forum. You really need to feel it yourself, while the boat is sailing in ocean waves (and not sitting at a dock or motoring around some marina or sailing in 10 knots of wind in a sheltered bay). I think the only way you will get that is by sailing on several boats offshore, especially in wind (above 15 knots) and waves (higher than 3 feet).

Good luck on your boat hunt and Bon Voyage on CF too.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, lease, liveaboard