Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2016, 19:58   #1

Boat: Tanzer,1976,26'
Looking to buy?

Yeah I'm looking for a sailboat or cruiser that floats, preferably with a motor, wood would be OK. I'm new to boating, but as I am a swimming pool technician/chemical plant technician by trade, I am more than capable of restoring any boat. That said I'd prefer not to spend more than $1000.00 on a vessel. Mostly looking for a good project boat that is liveable, by liveable I mean no mildew or mold of course. Please respond with any information that may be useful to me.

Sincerely Eric Stinnett

Words from a pool builder turned boat fanatic: as a youth it was about keeping the water in, now it seems I'm trying to keep it out:-)
Ericsstinnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 03:36   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Looking to buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericsstinnett View Post
I'm new to boating, but as I am a swimming pool technician/chemical plant technician by trade, I am more than capable of restoring any boat.
Ah, the confidence of naivete!

All the best
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 03:48   #3

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
That said I'd prefer not to spend more than $1000.00 on a vessel. Mostly looking for a good project boat that is liveable, by liveable I mean no mildew or mold of course.

Hey Eric, Welcome to CF.

Any idea how much a $1,000 boat is really going to cost? Or let me ask this way, How much are you able to spend immediately on the $1,000 non-mildew, non-mold boat, should you find one?
Old 30-08-2016, 03:53   #4

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Gee I do hope you dropped a zero there. $10k I can understand but $1k might as well burn it and flush the ashes. Been there, done that, never doing it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 30-08-2016, 08:23   #5

I'm in Texas, from time to time I find fully sailable boats with out a motor, by that I mean mast,ringing, sails, every thing except motor. Wondering if a couple outboards on a 37 foot hull would be a better investment. Sure I'll need mast,sails, rigging, electrical wiring, electronics, probably new perperlar( or some way to plug the perperlar shaft hole, but hey, 37' or 24' for a liveabord. Any thoughts?
Old 30-08-2016, 08:33   #6
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Yeah I'm looking for a sailboat or cruiser that floats, ................... I'd prefer not to spend more than $1000.00 on a vessel. ................... Mostly looking for a good project boat that is liveable, by liveable I mean no mildew or mold of course.
Best one today so far. I wish you luck and a rapid recovery
Old 30-08-2016, 08:40   #7

Sounds like the wiser is to buy something that's actually functional. Thank for the input everyone.
Old 30-08-2016, 15:37   #8

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Sounds like the wiser is to buy something that's actually functional. Thank for the input everyone.

Yeah, sorry to rain on your parade but I think many of us here have either had first hand or close by experience of these sorts of boats. I doubt any of us have seen a happy outcome.
Speaking from my own experience I got off lightly. My super cheap boat only cost me a few months work, some timber and some paint, before I realised the futility of it all and took it to the tip. Full points to the guy who sold it to me, he not only made a few dollars selling it to me but also saved himself the tipping fee.

Does not mean you need to spend a million dollars, but it is worth finding something at least vaguely functional to begin with.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 30-08-2016, 16:57   #9

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Yeah I'm looking for a sailboat or cruiser that floats, preferably with a motor, wood would be OK. I'm new to boating, but as I am a swimming pool technician/chemical plant technician by trade, I am more than capable of restoring any boat. That said I'd prefer not to spend more than $1000.00 on a vessel. Mostly looking for a good project boat that is liveable, by liveable I mean no mildew or mold of course. Please respond with any information that may be useful to me.

Sincerely Eric Stinnett

Words from a pool builder turned boat fanatic: as a youth it was about keeping the water in, now it seems I'm trying to keep it out:-)
https://geo.craigslist.org/iso/us/tx

Hope it works out.
Old 30-08-2016, 19:55   #10

Boat: 36' Racer-Cruiser

Hi Eric,
I have to admit my first reaction when reading your post was, “bwahahaha.”

After my fit of laughter subsided, I remembered that someone I know recently got a Catalina 22 that had been sitting on the hard for more than 10 years for $1,500. The original asking price was $4,500 and included a working outboard and a full set of sails purportedly in good condition and a trailer, but my friend was looking for something ready to splash; i.e., not a project because he knows better. However, the seller’s wife was so desperate to have the thing gone, she managed to convince both guys that $1,500 for the boat was a good deal all around. And, frankly my friend could sell the pieces of the boat for more than what he paid, so a very low risk to him. I’m pretty sure there’s a moral in this story somewhere. In the meantime, last time I spoke to my friend, he felt that he could have the boat in the water in about a month of work on it and he is pretty handy and has some experience working on boats, so I believe the boat is probably in the water by now.

Anyway, I tell this story to suggest that your goal may not be completely and utterly ridiculous, only partially ridiculous. And, further, to suggest that you look into the Catalina 22s. Some of the advantages of the Catalina 22s are:
1) they have been a very popular pocket cruiser for many years, so there about of zillion of them around
2) because there are so many around, parts and support are readily available
3) they’re trailerable, so it's easy to get a change of scenery
4) there are pop-top versions that give you a bit of head room
5) they are cheap!

The biggest downside obviously is that a Catalina 22 would be a very small boat to live aboard on.
There’s a good summary of them here: https://whichsailboat.com/2015/08/22...ina-22-review/

My friend found his boat through a notice at a local sailing club; it wasn’t even listed in craigslist. The owner wanted his pet boat to go to a good home, not just to some random stranger. Boat owners tend to be very attached to their boats. Understanding that will help you find good deals.

So, my suggestion to you is to join a local sailing/yacht club and learn to sail, assuming you want to sail your boat and not just live on it. Meeting people that can help point you in the right direction is invaluable. Some places have community sailing programs where the boats are shared, which is a great way to start. Crewing on race boats is great way to learn fast and is fun, too. Offering to help a boat owner work on his/her boat is a good way to gain some experience with boat work. There is a lot to learn, even for already handy people, especially in a marine environment. Be patient and look for the right deal.

Also, be aware that people who live aboard tend not to sail their own boats very often because stuff not stowed well gets tossed around under sail. The better the sail, the more things land on the cabin floor.

I hope I gave you some useful things to consider. Best of luck to you and welcome to the sailing world.
BlueSlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 13:47   #11

Boat: Morgan 41 Out Island "Sugar Bear"

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Ah, the confidence of naivete!

All the best
Have a Morgan 42 for sale excellent condition. 40,000 Us e mail for more info and pictures alengst@gmail.com

alibaba.e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 16:30   #12

Boat: Whitby 42 Ketch, 42ft

Hi Eric, I have a Whitby 42 Ketch that I was living on and need to sell, had it for sale at 90K but would take 55K. She is in great shape and worth the 90K. send me you email or call me and I can send you all the info and pics. I live in Panama City Beach and the boat is in Houston. I would be happy to help you sail her and show you all the systems. This boat don't need much fixing but it could use a generator and a/c if you like those things. I had no problems without them. It does have a wind generator and solar panels.

Ken B.
kburkemper@yahoo.com
405-850-9242
kjbiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 14:33   #13

Boat: Catalina 22

Eric,
I have a 1980 Catalina 22 for sale that would take a few days to get back in the water. (it needs trailer tires and I would paint the deck if I was going to keep it.) Fully rigged, sail inventory, spares, radios, Selftailing winches, everything run to the cockpit, swim ladder, Cunningham, Vang, Adj backstay, long track jib cars, outhaul, travelers, anchor and rode, etc, etc.
$1,250 without the outboard. (It has the desireable OMC self lifting mount.)
It is in Arizona.
Sandbox Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 15:26   #14

Location: hailing port: Pensacola on the stern, bodies in Fort Myers
Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37'

Eric, I had that size of Catalina for a few years, she was nicely dry and an OK size for a pocket cruiser and surprisingly good clearance belowdecks -- do check that you will be able to at least sit comfortably in anything you get :-) Standing up straight comes with those bigger boats, or if you happen to be fortunate enough to be not too tall for most clearances. Choosing our boat (catamaran) depended a lot on my husband's ability to stand up in the amas -- but none of us can stand in the central salon, although it's fine for sitting. Just sayin', if you are planning to liveaboard you need to make sure you will be physically comfortable in the boat, to be *in* it without feeling like you are wearing it.
AquatiCat is offline   Reply With Quote