Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2019, 08:09   #31

Re: looking for the right boat and seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I once surveyed a 42' Catalina for a fella that had never been on a sailboat before. After purchase it took him two weeks to move aboard and the first time he left the dock (Lake Ontario) he went to Trinidad. He has been a good friend for over 20years now and is still out there.

Go for it.
Ha! Man—-I am in a similar situation to you, except I’m now single & a live aboard. I too picked up a Catalina 42 as my first (& last) vessel. They’re well built, comfortable, simple, sturdy, easy to sail & work on & you can pick one up in good shape for less than $150k. And they are ‘A-rated’ Ocean capable vessels. Despite the BS you read on forums about ‘production’ boats & Blue Water, the crew will give out long before the boat will - there are Catalina’s, Hunters, Beneteau’s all over the world- they sure as hell didn’t fly there!
Sofa King Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:10   #32

Boat: William Atkins 26' tops'l gaff cutter

The very idea of a 'turn key' boat is sort of laughable. Especially in a used boat. Especially at a price point below 20 K. The prospects of a reliable blue-water-capable boat at that price point is vanishingly small.

Boats are complicated collections of systems that interact in unpredictable ways. Sailing skills are a small fraction of what is necessary to succeed happily. A competent skipper needs the experience to anticipate their failure modes, and fix them when they go wrong. Your spare parts store alone is unlikely to be less than 5K. Upgrading systems on a used boat will be expensive (or did you imagine that a seller will put several thousand dollars into a boat they will sell for 20 or 25K?).

The writer of this post asserts many skills that will help him succeed. But the underlying premise... 'this is what I want to pay, this is when I will go, it will all be fine because I'm skilled and adaptable'... is deeply flawed. The sea has lessons to teach, and plans may suffer as a consequence. As long as you understand this, and can accommodate it, you'll do fine. Good luck!
Old 09-08-2019, 08:14   #33

When I became earnest about shopping for a boat there were two books that influenced my decisions that I still think are worth reading.

1.) Cruising Sailboat Kinetics by Danny Greene, N.A.

https://www.amazon.com/Cruising-Sail.../dp/1888671084

2.) Desirable and Undesirable Characteristics of Offshore Yachts by The Technical Committee of the Cruising Club of America

https://www.amazon.com/Desirable-Und.../dp/0393033112

The first helped me understand the forces at work on a sailboat and why boats are designed as they are. The second helped me form a critical eye as to which things where most important to me and more importantly which things I should walk or run away from.

Before I found the boat deal as you describe here, I would read and learn and I would charter a few boats and find out for myself whether that center cockpit, aft cabin, wide beamed rolling pig of a boat is really what I want to own!

You say that moving up through different boats is a waste of money. I got a chuckle out of that. Buying the wrong boat to begin with is a huge waste of money and time.

There is a comment her about sailing on OPBs. It's a good idea. You might look to see if there are weekly races held by any of the local clubs and sign up as crew. The more you learn before you buy, the better the chance you will get a boat that suits you. If the advice to read about sailing and going sailing first seems like too much work, then I wish you good luck with your purchase.
rvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:36   #34

Boat: Cape Dory 28; Cape Dory 30B

I have a Cape Dory 28 which is located in the northern Chesapeake Bay. I am open to your conditions. Also have a Cape Dory 30 in Florida Keys so "lessons" could take place in either place...however the 30 is not for sale

V/r

Pete
psjanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 04:53   #35

I can get you into a 26’ Lindenberg for half that price. new 3Di sails (jib late last year; main this year) and fresh Black Widow bottom paint this spring. mostly around the beer can races on the Potomac and every month or so, longer (50+ mi) races.

we finished second in St Mary’s Gov Cup earlier this month and have logged thousands of miles up and down the Chesapeake Bay. she sleeps four adults comfortably, so falls short on the “plus children” requirement, but good/ fast boat to learn on in preparation for the Big Blue.

if you’re anywhere near DC, I’ll take you on for beer can races on Tuesdays or a more casual sail to Mt Vernon and back.
Grinder33411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 05:10   #36

Boat: Presently between vessels

Sailing a good boat doesn't require more skill than sailing a small cheap boat.
Skill is important when dealing with docking, weather, maintenance, navigation
Take the time to learn how to care for and operate the global traveler. You can do the day sailing and coastal cruising with the boat you really want.
RobPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 05:26   #37

Boat: Bowman 57 Ketch : Searcher

For those of you looking forward to a life cruising and offshore passages. There’s a lot more to learn than how to drive the boat with the sails.
Anchoring is one skill that takes a lot practice, and a mask and snorkel. You can read a great deal about anchoring, and please do, but putting the hook down, with the right gear, in the right place, is the art of it.

If you’re going offshore, a 1200 NM trip across the Bermuda Triangle is nothing like a day on the Bay. Rigging for heavy weather iOS another skill you don’t often Get on the Bay.

Offshore weather information, routing to avoid storms, sea sickness the right crew used to rough seas, and night watch standing, lots to learn and experience, before you go.

Sign on as a crew on a boat making an offshore voyage to get real offshore experience and knowledge from a seasoned skipper. One 10 day to 2 week trip from Norfolk to the BVI will teach you more than years of sailing on The Bay.

Hundreds of boats leave the Coast each fall for the trip south, offshore. There are three Rallies that depart late October, early Nov. The NARC from Newport to Bermuda to the Islands; The Salty Dawg that departs Norfolk area, and the Carib 1500 also departing from the Norfolk area. Many of those boats are looking for crew. Make sure the skipper on board has made the trip before.
DHLyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 20:10   #38

@stuartweibel. I never said all will be fine because I'm adaptable. I said I'm a quick learner and that I'm confidant I can learn. You make it sound like I arrogantly dismiss the learning process. "Deeply flawed"? Really?
Midtownsails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 08:00   #39

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midtownsails View Post
@stuartweibel. I never said all will be fine because I'm adaptable. I said I'm a quick learner and that I'm confidant I can learn. You make it sound like I arrogantly dismiss the learning process. "Deeply flawed"? Really?
You must first learn to walk before you can run Grasshopper.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 08:35   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvich View Post
When I became earnest about shopping for a boat there were two books that influenced my decisions that I still think are worth reading.

1.) Cruising Sailboat Kinetics by Danny Greene, N.A.

https://www.amazon.com/Cruising-Sail.../dp/1888671084

2.) Desirable and Undesirable Characteristics of Offshore Yachts by The Technical Committee of the Cruising Club of America

https://www.amazon.com/Desirable-Und.../dp/0393033112

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I'd add Nigel Calder's Cruisers Handbook. It's a lot more "readable" for a newcomer.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 10:57   #41
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal Cruising 46 - SATORI

Price reduced Must sell $14,500
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0477.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	417.7 KB
ID:	198137

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcal46skipper View Post
I have an Endeavour 37 Sloop w/recently rebuilt Perkins 4.108. This is one of the 476 Endeavour 37's built. Why? Because they are stout, well built, great design, comfortable, {yes, you can sleep 6}, good sailor w/4' draft.

I just spent over $3,000 in cosmetics and upgrades like 3 new marine batteries, new battery charger, bilge pump & switches +++ She is setting at my dock by my home on Bayou Chico, Pensacola, FL. Call, come see and stay at our guest cottage or on the boat. If you call, speak slowly and loud as I am hearing impaired 850-572-twelve twenty five, or reply 2dogsfishin@gmail.com with your Email and I can send pictures.

I was a sailing instructor, raced (Cal 25 National Champion 1972) lived aboard and cruised our Cal 46 for 14 years. I will teach you basic sailing, no extra charge. OHH, by the way asking price is $22,500, will discuss any reasonable offer.
oldcal46skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 11:44   #42

Boat: Bowman 57 Ketch : Searcher

Don’t buy a boat, not yet. Not until you’ve sailed on a few OPBs. Other People’s Boats.
There a few ways to do this.
1. Let people at the yard or marina know you’re available as crew. Specify the size boat.
2. Crew on a delivery. Fall is coming and hundreds of boats will be looking for crew on extended voyages, many offshore. Check out www.sailOPO.com. This is a crewing service for skipper and owners looking for crew on deliveries up and down the coast as well as offshore to the Caribbean.
3. Check the bulletin boards in yards, marine stores and websites for owners looking for crew
Crewing on OPB gets you first hand knowledge on a variety of boats leaning from experienced skippers.
Buying any boat should come only after you’ve amassed a few hundred miles on OPB.
DHLyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 13:42   #43

Boat: Hunter Legend 40

I have a great started boat. At Cal 34 that you can live on. In good shape, per survey done 6 months ago. Asking $7500. It is listed on CR. Just search for CAL.
Capt D Scott is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat