Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2020, 08:26   #1

Looking for a sailboat and advice

Hello Sailors,

I'm looking for a boat for a family of 5, with forward looking to blue water. We are flying to St. Lucia in a couple of weeks from Canada and will be stying on the island/ moving around " in the bubble", hoping to find a suitable boat. I think 4 cabins are minimum. Budget: 80k USD, all in.

Does this even make sense?

Thanks for the advice!
dmytryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 08:43   #2

Re: Looking for a sailboat and advice

There's nothing in St Lucia as far as boat shopping goes really. ? You are trying to buy a boat already in the Caribe? Check the Canada/Gr Britain related islands that have charter fleets maybe?
Pretty tight budget for 4 cabins, probably have to find an ex charter boat for all those cabins.
Good Luck!
Trinidad is a place people end up , then decide they are done cruising, so some boats are down there in the yards.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 18:20   #3

Boat: Fountaine Pajot / Venezia 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmytryk View Post
Hello Sailors,

I'm looking for a boat for a family of 5, with forward looking to blue water. We are flying to St. Lucia in a couple of weeks from Canada and will be stying on the island/ moving around " in the bubble", hoping to find a suitable boat. I think 4 cabins are minimum. Budget: 80k USD, all in.

Thanks for the advice!

There's a Canadian family of 9 (yes you hear it right ... 9 plus a dog) from Quebec, sailing around the world on 43ft steel sailboat. If you read french go check their FB page, otherwise contact them, they speak English.
https://www.facebook.com/brumeetpinocchioautourdumonde

Here's a 43 Bruce Roberts steel ketch in Grenada, 43ft, looks nice, but has only 2 cabins and in your budget.

https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/1...ketch-3608673/
scargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 19:20   #4

Thanks scargo. I'll check it out. 2 cabins are tight, I have 2 boys and a girl, teenage age.
Kids speak french, will make them translate
Old 27-10-2020, 19:23   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
There's nothing in St Lucia as far as boat shopping goes really. ? You are trying to buy a boat already in the Caribe? Check the Canada/Gr Britain related islands that have charter fleets maybe?
Pretty tight budget for 4 cabins, probably have to find an ex charter boat for all those cabins.
Good Luck!
Trinidad is a place people end up , then decide they are done cruising, so some boats are down there in the yards.
Thanks Cheechako. There are couple 50' beneteau in the area under 100k, any thoughts?
Old 28-10-2020, 12:17   #6

Boat: C&C

4 cabins for $80,000 US all in !? Don't know what your planing on buying but I'm thinking your dreaming a bit unless your thinking of something really really old custom built that needs lots of work! I will be listing my 37 ft FP cat pretty soon but for slightly more than that. It has 4 berths, only problem is that it's in Florida and I'm in Canada. Hoping to get clearance soon to go down there?
You can PM me if you want details and to discuss this a bit?
wannacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2020, 12:27   #7

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Hello Sailors,

Thanks for the advice!
With four cabins, you're mostly stuck with cats which is not necessarily a bad thing except that you'll need to get realistic about the budget. For anything that big that will actually float. you'll need to be wiling to go $220,000 or more (and that probably still won't be all in) Even well kept boats will need something.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2020, 13:14   #8

I know 80k is pushing it for the size, but there are a couple of old 50 footers in St.lucia.
moving it 120k returns a lot of hits: https://www.yachtworld.com/boats-for...ce=1000-120000

Mind you I do not know if any of these boats are worthy...
Old 28-10-2020, 13:24   #9

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Thanks Cheechako. There are couple 50' beneteau in the area under 100k, any thoughts?
The Bene's would be just fine for cruising the Carib (which is what they were made for) but not the boat I'd choose for rounding the horns. What you'll get in that size is berths for six, two cabins and a couple of pilot berths (not four separate cabins) and probably a couple of heads and a decent salon/galley.. If these are excharter. you'll need to plan on some repairs.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2020, 13:31   #10

At that price and size you will absolutely be looking at a boat that likely needs extensive work. The way fixer upper boats work is this, when you get an idea of how much you think it will cost to get the boat ready for cruising then double that amount and you are starting to get close. Buying the boat is the easiest part of boat ownership. The real expenses in my opinion come after (moorage, haul outs, repairs, upgrades, insurance, etc.).

That said it's doable. Here's an example of a boat close to your price range but it might not do it for you since it only has 3 cabins.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/b...221310177.html
docrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2020, 18:35   #11

Boat: Hylas 44

Quote:
Hello Sailors,

Thanks for the advice!

This Catalina 50 is a bit over your budget but, considering the equipments included and all the amenities, I think it worth a look.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199...na-50-3164232/
Northbound44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 05:48   #12

Thanks @Northbound44 By the looks Catalina is 3 cabin, but nice looking boat. not much details on the website...
Old 29-10-2020, 06:04   #13

Quote:
Thanks @Northbound44 By the looks Catalina is 3 cabin, but nice looking boat. not much details on the website...

Hi there,
I think this one is the four cabin version. Here’s the layout:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4408.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	170.4 KB
ID:	226085
Old 29-10-2020, 06:11   #14

Quote:

Hello again,

This one would be a better fit for you. Good price, more recent, not as equipped but four cabins:
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...y-49i-3182199/
Old 29-10-2020, 06:50   #15

cabins aside, which one do you think is a better boat?

Tags
sailboat, sail, boat