Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2020, 19:39   #1

Looking for a sailboat

Howdy everyone, I'm currently in the market to purchase a sailboat. Purpose is long distance solo sailing. Annapolis, to the BVIs, through the Panama Canal and out west! Hope to depart in 2 - 3 years. I've browsed every possible website so this request is a little different. If it's on a website, it's already on my list of potentials that I'm browsing - but feel free to shoot me a recommendation. I'm primarily looking to see if anyone knows someone who might have a boat and would consider selling, but doesn't have it posted. Hoping word of mouth might be a different venue.

Here's what I'm looking for as best I can list:
- Monohull
- 30' - 39'
- Price less than $55,000.00 +-
- Condition on par with good, I'm knowing full well I will have to put money into it
- Fiberglass
- Year range (Mid 70's to early 2000's)
- Spade rudder to full keel all considered
- Not too worried about engine condition, sail conditions, or rigging condition, but would like something with at least a solid deck and hull
- I live in Annapolis, so am primarily looking for something in the Maryland, DC, Virginia region (I have limited availability to travel due to work)
- Boats I have on my list to give you an idea, but I'm keeping an open mind: Southern Cross 35, Sea Sprite 34, Contest 36, Hunter Legend, Cape George 31, Alberg 37, Cal 39, Vancouver 36.

There are a few others, but as you can see, some variety.

Thought I would try seeing if collectively, I could knock on some more port lights to find a potential boat. Thanks everyone.
Daleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 23:06   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Looking for a sailboat

Hi Daleguy, I don't know your neck of the woods, but I often see what I think are good boats for sale in New England. But first you don't mention what kind of experience you have so far. Your boat choices are all potentially good boats, but they represent very different design philosophies. They do share that they are between 30 and 40 feet though. With a list like that you'll get 11 different opinions from 10 different people! I suspect you will do well to do as much sailing on other people's boats as you can while you are searching because I think your tastes will change and narrow down to a particular design style (like fin or full or long keels.) Or you may narrow down to a particular builder. Anyway, I don't know if that helps, but good luck on your path to find the boat that is looking for you!

BTW have you seen this site?
https://sailboat.guide/blue-water-boats
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 07:14   #3

Boat: 05 Hunter 44ds

I have a boat about identical to the you tubers “shaggy seas”. A 1985 Catalina 36. Great boat. Located in Baltimore. It’s listed on sailboat listings now. Just listed the other day. Lots of stuff in sail away condition. Fridge, 2 cabins, new cpt autopilot plus a backup autopilot. Stack pack, Bimini, dodger, cockpit cushions, Garmin chartplotter. On and on. Sailed it Tuesday to old bay marina to get hauled out. Asking 24k. OBO.
Mm
Grandwagoneer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 17:47   #4

Thank you! I have several years racing one designs, and ocean mileage experience. I have a few people mentoring me who have circumnavigated several times since the 70's and am thankful for some great insights into various boat styles. I'm not really looking for opinions per say, just hoping someone might have a boat they might consider selling not already listed! Thanks for the link, looks like the Blue Water Sailboat website doesn't work anymore and that appears to maybe be a remake of it!? Do you have a Columbia? Nice boat!
Old 09-03-2020, 17:51   #5

Thanks for the offer on the Catalina 36, unfortunately looking for something with a little more bones to take on the oceans. Those are nice boats though. Hope you find a buyer.
Old 10-03-2020, 02:55   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1981 Sea Sprite 34 Sold, now living ashore. Bristol 27

You may have seen my Sea Sprite 34 listed on this site. She's in excellent condition all around and ready to go anywhere. I just took the winter cover off Sunday.
canvasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 04:49   #7

Have you looked at Grab bag sailboats in edgewater md? My boat,an Aloha32 is for sale there,might fit your requirements. If not he usually has a dozen or so boats in your size and price range.
Denallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 04:50   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daleguy View Post
Thank you! I have several years racing one designs, and ocean mileage experience. I have a few people mentoring me who have circumnavigated several times since the 70's and am thankful for some great insights into various boat styles. I'm not really looking for opinions per say, just hoping someone might have a boat they might consider selling not already listed! Thanks for the link, looks like the Blue Water Sailboat website doesn't work anymore and that appears to maybe be a remake of it!? Do you have a Columbia? Nice boat!
In the corner of Bert Jabins there a old swan 36

I think it’s a 36

The boats been out of the water a long time , deck covered on mold

You might swing by have a look and ask questions

Always best to get a pedigree fixer upper
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	75F1D9B5-7E35-4362-87E3-789316D5D438.jpeg
Views:	123
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	210408  
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 17:32   #9

Oh, a Swan ... you have peaked my interest good sir or ma'am. Thanks a heap!
Old 10-03-2020, 17:37   #10

Thanks for the mention of the SS34 ... I have a few on my short list! Not sure I have the time to go to Rhode Island due to work commitments, but I'm keeping an eye on it - great boat and looks amazing.
Old 10-03-2020, 17:38   #11

Thanks for the mention of Grab Bag Boats, I check that often. The Aloha is a great boat but might be a little light for my plans. Hope you find a buyer soon!
Old 11-03-2020, 17:59   #12

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Wow an original Swan... that would be nice. I’m not sure you’ll find all Columbias of interest considering your criteria, but you might check the old 38 and 40. They’re also built stoutly and there is a 38 near me here that sure looks like she’s able to carry a log more sail than the rest of us when the wind pipes up
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2020, 22:21   #13

Check out my Patti Lynn 1989 35ft O'day she is strong!
svpattilynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 09:57   #14

Boat: Ohlson 38

Our Ohlson 38 Iroquois, is priced at more than the $55,000 you specify but you will not not need to spend any money on it. The boat is ready to do today exactly what you want. Contact me and I can answer any questions that you might have.
Jack
jack2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 14:29   #15

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Quote:
Howdy everyone, I'm currently in the market to purchase a sailboat. Purpose is long distance solo sailing. Annapolis, to the BVIs, through the Panama Canal and out west! Hope to depart in 2 - 3 years. I've browsed every possible website so this request is a little different. If it's on a website, it's already on my list of potentials that I'm browsing - but feel free to shoot me a recommendation. I'm primarily looking to see if anyone knows someone who might have a boat and would consider selling, but doesn't have it posted. Hoping word of mouth might be a different venue.

Here's what I'm looking for as best I can list:
- Monohull
- 30' - 39'
- Price less than $55,000.00 +-
- Condition on par with good, I'm knowing full well I will have to put money into it
- Fiberglass
- Year range (Mid 70's to early 2000's)
- Spade rudder to full keel all considered
- Not too worried about engine condition, sail conditions, or rigging condition, but would like something with at least a solid deck and hull
- I live in Annapolis, so am primarily looking for something in the Maryland, DC, Virginia region (I have limited availability to travel due to work)
- Boats I have on my list to give you an idea, but I'm keeping an open mind: Southern Cross 35, Sea Sprite 34, Contest 36, Hunter Legend, Cape George 31, Alberg 37, Cal 39, Vancouver 36.

There are a few others, but as you can see, some variety.

Thought I would try seeing if collectively, I could knock on some more port lights to find a potential boat. Thanks everyone.
Although I’m naturally biased, if you can get a Contest 36 at your targeted budget and condition, you can’t go wrong. Contest Yachts (Coniplex, B.V. The Netherlands) are among the world’s best blue ocean cruisers. Extremely well built for Lloyds of London specs with all first class rigging, components and systems. The 36 has been one of their most successful models.

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat