Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2020, 10:59   #1

Looking for a good place to start

Hi, I'm new here but sailing is a dream I've had for years. I'm just asking if anyone knows where to find a boat, working or not, for relatively cheap. I'm low on money and just need some pointers. If this isn't in the right thread my bad ��

If you need to contact me you can do so at my email (oldsoldier410@gmail.com) or Snapchat (Cleavos)

Thanks, safe travels
GatAttck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 11:03   #2

Re: Looking for a good place to start

it would help to know where you are.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 11:07   #3

Louisiana, United States
Old 07-03-2020, 12:30   #4

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

Even knowing Louisiana is not much help. Are you looking for a boat to sail on lakes or the ocean? Are you thinking something you can stay (sleep) aboard or something just for day sailing? If you just want to learn to sail your best bet for both learning and low cost is to find a small open boat, hopefully with a trailer. Something like a Laser, Sunfish, etc. You will learn to sail much faster on a small boat because it is easier to quickly recognize how what you are doing affects what is happening.

Again, I don't know Louisiana, but I'd try Craigslist. I have bought several small boats off Craigslist for a pittance.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 12:33   #5
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatAttck View Post
Hi, I'm new here but sailing is a dream I've had for years. I'm just asking if anyone knows where to find a boat, working or not, for relatively cheap. I'm low on money and just need some pointers. If this isn't in the right thread my bad ��

If you need to contact me you can do so at my email (oldsoldier410@gmail.com) or Snapchat (Cleavos)

Thanks, safe travels
I see cheap boats on Craigslist all that time that are sitting in people's yards
Old 07-03-2020, 12:40   #6

Ahh my apologies for lack of detail. I want a boat to sail the ocean and also liveaboard. I agree something small to start with would be preferable. I've been browsing around and Craigslist is a great site. eBay seems good as well. And my other question is how big would you recommend a boat for short to medium ocean travel? Ex. Florida to the Caribbean. Sorry if my questions are shallow lol
Old 07-03-2020, 12:44   #7

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

There are numerous versions of your question that have been posted to this, and probably every other, sailing site. Spend some time looking for and reading those.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 12:45   #8

Copy that, thanks for the assistance
Old 07-03-2020, 12:52   #9
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Ahh my apologies for lack of detail. I want a boat to sail the ocean and also liveaboard. I agree something small to start with would be preferable. I've been browsing around and Craigslist is a great site. eBay seems good as well. And my other question is how big would you recommend a boat for short to medium ocean travel? Ex. Florida to the Caribbean. Sorry if my questions are shallow lol
Well ............................. in that case you don't want a craigslist boat. Those are about boat projects not sailing.

Any size sailing boat can sail from Florida to the Bahamas and into the Caribbean. Has WAY more to do with the sailor than the boat. heck you can go from Florida to Grenada with only 1 night sail if you plan correctly and wait your weather windows.

What you really need to decide is how much you can afford and the size YOU need to be comfortable.

It's Saturday, so there there is a chance you will be the last to ask the question this week good luck
Old 07-03-2020, 12:58   #10

Gotcha, thanks. That made me realize more, thank you. I was under the impression that you would need a decent size boat to not capsize lolll. I didn't know that haha. Yeah I'm currently saving up until I find the right price. And size for me isn't too much of a worry. I'm adaptive to living spaces. Yeah good ol Saturdays lol, thanks for the info. Safe travels
Old 08-03-2020, 09:57   #11

Boat: Catalina Mk1 36

My nephew just got a 1983 Cal 31, local to us in NY for under $3k. Owner donated money to charity, just wanted a nice couple to continue to sail his boat. Had a new universal engine in there, dripless shaft, good sails, really, there are bargains out there.
You might have a friend come along to look it over.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:00   #12

Boat: Hunter 46

Quote:
................ I'm just asking if anyone knows where to find a boat, working or not, for relatively cheap.......
Welcome to the forum!! That is a wide-open request. Suggest deciding how much you can afford to pay for the boat, sales/use/personal property tax, berthing, maintenance, safety upgrades, etc. Look for sailboats on Yachtworld, Boat Trader and at marinas and yacht clubs.

I started out with a budget of $5000 for used boat and ended up spending a lot more for my first 31 foot sailboat then significantly more for a 13-year old 46 foot sailboat within 10 years.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:13   #13

Boat: Catalina Mk1 36

Sorry, forgot to say EBay
Old 08-03-2020, 10:35   #14

Boat: Hunter 46

Also check SailboatListings, Boattrader and Vivaboats in the links below:

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/location/Louisiana
https://www.boattrader.com/boats/type-sail/state-la/
https://www.vivaboats.com/Louisiana/B/Sailboats
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:46   #15

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

There is a Forum or Sub-Forum on CF entitled “ Free or close to free boats”, it shows up to me as email notices. For the life of me I can’t find it in the CF directory. It would be a great source for people like the OP who are searching for an inexpensive boat to begin on. Even though I am not looking for this type boat I must have subscribed to it, I find it interesting. Does anyone know how to find it on CF ?
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote