Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2016, 09:29   #16

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Looking for a Bluewater Sailboat for under 20k

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Hit the boat yards. Cheap boats normally do not appear on places like Yachtworld since most of them are not broker represented. A lot of good buys can be found by finding yards where they acquired boats for back due bills that were unpaid. Most boats that are over 40 years old can not be insured, nor financed directly, or are expensive to insure. Also local classified ads in newspapers can be a good source. For $5k, you should be able to find a good 33+ foot sailboat in reasonable condition.

Fads and fashions rule prices. So find something that is out of fashion.
Exactly, hit the boatyards and always ask if they have any boats for sale.

The boat I bought in 2011 didn't have a for sale sign on it.

It had been on the hard for 5 years.

The boatyard was out in the boonies about 6 mile from a town of 1,800 or so. Boats with 4' draft can only get in there near high tide
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:14   #17

Not necessarily true on not being able to insure older boats. BUT, you will have to agree with BOAT US for example as to an agreed value of the old boat. They will chargE premiums according to the agreed value.
skipper53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:28   #18

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Hit the boat yards. Cheap boats normally do not appear on places like Yachtworld since most of them are not broker represented. A lot of good buys can be found by finding yards where they acquired boats for back due bills that were unpaid. Most boats that are over 40 years old can not be insured, nor financed directly, or are expensive to insure. Also local classified ads in newspapers can be a good source. For $5k, you should be able to find a good 33+ foot sailboat in reasonable condition.
The OP does not know anything about boats. He's in no position to evaluate boats of this type and know whether he's found a great deal or hole in the ground.

I have to say that every boat that I've seen that has been seized by a yard as a result of unpaid bills is pretty much of a wreck. I'm sure there is the very occasional diamond in the rough, but again, the OP is not in a position to identify it.

I agree that cheap boats don't for the most part end up on Yachtworld, but going to the other end of the spectrum, abandoned boats, is not going to serve him well.

Ideally, he needs a knowledgeable friend who can help him in the search since he does not have the knowledge required. Then, he might be able to find that diamond.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:36   #19

Boat: Westsail 28

Here you go every thing you asked for plus it's magnetic .
Tahitiana 32' for sale - Guatemala Yacht Broker - Rio Dulce
Here is another possibility . http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1974...s#.WCIcqfkrLIU
markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 12:46   #20

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Ask, and you shall receive. Full keel Mason 33 in good shape and lots of gear.
Asking price is $9500 CDN...thats about $7000 USD...so you'll have lots of room left in your budget for "toys". Depending on the outcome of the election today, the price might be even better (if the USD goes up)...or worse (if the USD plummets).

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ce-175305.html

For those of you with limited wifi, here's the cut and paste:

33 foot steel hull cutter, designed by well-known naval architect Mason, custom built for original owner in steel in Hamilton. Sailed until 2015, must sell. Includes roller furling on jib and staysail, sails are good, 4 person Avon liferaft, dinghy, 6-post cradle, VHF, GPS, Loran-C, radar, 3 anchors plus 200 foot chain rode, manual anchor windlass, 25hp Volvo MD2B diesel, nice old-fashioned brass pressure kerosene heater, custom full size kerosene cabin lamp, all-welded heavy pulpit and stern rails, electric autopilot, wind vane self-steering, tiller steering. Boat is 6,8 tonnes, full keel, designed and equipped for blue water passage making. Very strong rig with steps for climbing it, stepped on deck for easy lowering. A lot of boat for a little price. Nice to windward. No spinnaker or gear. Sleeps two forward, two amidships, two in quarterberths. Nice galley with Pacifica 3 burner gimballed propane stove with oven, good electrically cooled fridge/icebox. Lots of headroom. Good liveaboard vessel. Has fixed 3-blade prop installed but fully feathering variable pitch 3-blader also included. Very nice nav station opposite galley. Can be seen on the hard at Loyalist Cove Marina yard.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/king...ationFlag=true
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	135490   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	412.5 KB
ID:	135491  

Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	430.4 KB
ID:	135492   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	394.3 KB
ID:	135493  

hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 14:39   #21

Boat: CLC Skerry

Try looking for a Bayfield 32 in the Great Lakes.
rhubstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 15:10   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubstuff View Post
Here's a nice one, but it's at the top of the OP's budget:

Model Bayfield 32C Cutter Year 1977 Colour beige Immaculate | sailboats | Oakville / Halton Region | Kijiji

Asking price is $25,000 cdn = $19,000 USD
Old 08-11-2016, 15:11   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubstuff View Post
Love the lines on that boat.
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 15:22   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater-bound View Post
Ive looked at the Albergs and I absolutely fell in love with this Alberg 37 but it sold before I could get my hands on it.
The Albergs have a skinny beam and deep keel, which acts like a pendulum...a very roll-ey boat when the waves get big, or even at a choppy anchorage. Also, the narrow beam means not a lot of space inside, for a 37' boat. And the deep keel will get you in trouble when you're looking for a good spot to anchor. The good news about Albergs though...if you hit a rock, the rock breaks and the boat is fine.
Old 08-11-2016, 15:39   #25

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
The Albergs have a skinny beam and deep keel, which acts like a pendulum...a very roll-ey boat when the waves get big, or even at a choppy anchorage. Also, the narrow beam means not a lot of space inside, for a 37' boat. And the deep keel will get you in trouble when you're looking for a good spot to anchor. The good news about Albergs though...if you hit a rock, the rock breaks and the boat is fine.
What, do I hear disparaging words of a classic? Our classics are only roll-ey if you take the sails down! And once in the anchorage I like to swing out the ol' flopper-stopper before popping open a cold one... (right after careening through and clearing out those pesky rocks too!)
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 19:15   #26

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
The OP does not know anything about boats. He's in no position to evaluate boats of this type and know whether he's found a great deal or hole in the ground.

I have to say that every boat that I've seen that has been seized by a yard as a result of unpaid bills is pretty much of a wreck. I'm sure there is the very occasional diamond in the rough, but again, the OP is not in a position to identify it.

I agree that cheap boats don't for the most part end up on Yachtworld, but going to the other end of the spectrum, abandoned boats, is not going to serve him well.

Ideally, he needs a knowledgeable friend who can help him in the search since he does not have the knowledge required. Then, he might be able to find that diamond.
Do your home work well, I would stay away from project boats, the W32 in New Bern looks like it has teak decks, the listing doesn't say, but from one of the pics it looks like it does, I would not go there, you can really screw up buying a hole in the water, I would up my numbers to 35 to 45k asking price, make sure you don't need to repower unless the price reflects it, be patient or you'll wish you had, if you can't afford a well maintained, cared for boat, wait until you can, I looked for years to find mine and it paid off, seek out knowledgeable advise,
SKG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 23:46   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper & Nicholson, Nicholson 32, 32', Fals Cappa

Classic long keel world cruiser: the Nicholson 32. In your price range and many well equipped
Althebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 01:34   #28

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Looking for a Bluewater Sailboat for under 20k

I am still scratching my head a little here. Why a full keel boat?

I have nothing against them per se, but I would not restrict my search on that criteria.

I think Suijin has it right, there has been a bit of googling that has brought up this as somehow desirable. But much of what is desirable from a full keel boat is also present in a 3/4 keel, or cutaway forefoot design. And there are some superb boats with those sorts of keels.

So, to the OP, I would suggest you remove that restriction for now, lest it steer you down the path of overly aged "project boats", which nobody wishing to maintain their sanity needs in their life.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 09-11-2016, 02:00   #29

Boat: CSY 33
Send a message via MSN to wunderluster

1969 Allied Seabreeze 35 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Check out this Allied.
wunderluster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 05:52   #30

Boat: Nonsuch 30

I would also not start with the assumption that a full keel is best. If you go to obscure parts of the world (say Ecuador or Mauritius) the significant majority of cruisers are not full keelers.

Tough to balance the fixer upper/equipped thing. Some fixes do not require much money, just hard work so those are fine. Others can be very costly so you need to research which are which. On the other hand older boats with a lot of equipment may have a lot of stuff that just needs to be replaced. I noticed the Mason mentioned previously had Loran-C. If that is listed (it is obsolete) it makes you wonder about the age/usefulness of other stuff onboard. There is no substitute to doing lots of homework.

Tags
Bluewater, sail, sailboat, water