Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2018, 10:28   #1

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 37
In Search of My Future

Hi folks,

I am about to take off on a two week road trip from Maine to Florida in search of my future boat and I'm looking for some recommendations. Recommendations of places to shop, of boat models that would work for me AND letting me know if you so happen to know of an appropriate boat.

To give an idea of what size and style I'm after here are some models I am interested in: Valiant Esprit 37, Valiant 40, Passport 40, Fast Passage 39, Pacific Seacraft 37, Freya 39, Southern Cross 39. My price cap is 70K and I'm not looking for a huge project, but I have plenty of sweat equity to invest as well, with some experience in fiberglassing, woodworking, vessel systems, and engine repair.

I'm already planning on stopping in Annapolis, Charleston, St. Augustine, and St. Petersburg among other places. What other spots would be likely to have such boats for sale?

This will be my first "big" boat and although it won't be my last, it would be great to find THE boat for years of cruising to come.

Any tips are truly appreciated!

- Jesse
Jwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2018, 11:21   #2

Re: In Search of My Future

south shore of Connecticut ,
Rye New York
New Rochelle, New York
City Island, NYC

north shore of Long Island specifically
Port Washington, Oyster Bay and
Port Jefferson
Cheers
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2018, 11:29   #3

Search Yachtworld or other online ads. Find location of boats you are interested in. Plan the trip boat to boat, not city to city

Example: Annapolis may not have the boat you want, but across the bay in Maryland within a 4 hour drive are numerous marina's that will have at least one of the boats you are looking for.

Along the east coast you will find more boats that you can look at in 2 weeks. When I was looking I spent 2-3 hours on each boat.

While in Annapolis check our Bert Jabins Yacht Yard, not necessarily a place to buy a boat, but lots of boats on the dry and you can drive around and learn a lot, ask owners or contractors who are working on their boats questions.
Panama Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2018, 11:42   #4

Thanks for the input and info!
Old 23-10-2018, 11:46   #5

It seems like you're doing this backwards. I would have a series of boats lined up to look at, then I would plan my trip. Not the other way around. What if a Valiant 40 shows up in New London, CT?

Picking the timeline, then choosing the cities then hoping a boat is present is way backward.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2018, 11:51   #6

Agreed, not ideal, but this is the time that I have to shop the east coast. Back to work on the Pacific second week in November. Plus, I do enjoy a good road trip!
Old 23-10-2018, 12:08   #7

Forgot Mamaroneck and Larchmont
between Rye and New Rochelle
Cheers
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2018, 12:16   #8
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Go View Post
south shore of Connecticut
Rhode Island, very fertile
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 08:46   #9

Boat: LeComte NE 38

Spend time on yacht world and look for boats. There are so many used boats on the market and you can save time and make a much more efficient trip if you travel to look at boats, not places. Newport and Jamestown RI a great place for used boats. There is a major boat yard, New England Boatworks just north of Newport with several brokers and many cruising boats for sale.

Annapolis and the Chesapeake also some great brokers and boats for sale but best to target boats and focus the trip that way.

Just in case you might be considering a 38' sloop, I am probably going to be putting my boat Sequitur, up for sale this winter or next Spring. She is a LeComte NE 38, designed by Bill Trip Jr., looks very similar to a Hinckley Bermuda 40 but she is 2 feet shorter and has a better underbody with molded fin keel and skeg hung rudder. I have had her for 20 years, put in many upgrades and sailed her all over the eastern seaboard.
The price is $ 52,500 and she is ready to sail.

Sequitur is in Newport Harbor now and I will be sailing her to Bristol RI on Saturday to put her to bed for the winter at Bristol Marine.

If you have interest, I can send you a listing and other photos. I have attached one picture of Sequitur at her mooring. I am seeking a 43' boat which is my reason to sell. You are welcome to call or email me directly.

Good luck in your search...

Paul Alter
646 259-2426
palter@skolnick.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sequitur in Sag Harbor July-2017.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	330.7 KB
ID:	179547  
PAlter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 08:48   #10

Boat: LeComte NE 38

JWhit,

Typo in my message - my mobile is 646 259-2425

Best wishes,

Paul
PAlter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 09:00   #11

Boat: Boatless

Go to www.sailingohana.com and read “Hunter, Really?”

After that hit this link.

70k, turn key right down to the galleyware and linens ;-)

https://m.sailboatlistings.com/view/63799

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 09:07   #12

Boat: Camano 41

Jesse, you can see the advice offered from a few points of view. I agree with spending time on Yachtworld to narrow your scope. There may be other boats well suited for what you mention as a target boat, but your use, time spent aboard, location of use, amount of people and ultimate resale, you mention this may not be your last purchase. Just getting between the goalposts is different than a perfect fieldgoal. 2 feet and $20K will always be a problem if you don't set your parameters first. We bought and cruised a boat we never thought we could own, lived aboard for 5 years and sold it 14 years later for what we paid. We used up the improvement costs. Value and cost.
Greg Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 10:07   #13

Boat: Valiant 40

Honestly 90% of the boats you mentioned will be up on Yachtworld. Driving around haphazardly looking for candidates will be a waste of time.

While in Annapolis I suggest you stop in at Port Annapolis Marina and talk to two brokers there. David Walters Yachts and Crusader Yachts.

David Walters (formerly Rogue Wave Yacht Sales) specializes in Valiants and they have about six sitting in the yard right now. Most of them are 42’s and 50’s but there is at least one 40. Getting into a 40 at your budget might be tough unless you’re willing to go with a blister era boat, but you might get lucky. Talk to Bernie Jakits if you can. He’s very knowledgeable about Valiants having owned two himself and knows the market for them and lots of individual boats out there very well.

Crusader Yachts has a whole row of Pacific Seacrafts for sale, so you can check a few boxes at one yard.

The market for these boats has taken a real beating in recent years. So now is a good time to buy. That said it’s never going to go back up for them so there’s no rush.

Look at as many boats as you can. Most of these are semi-custom and can vary widely from boat to boat. The more of them you look at, the better positioned you’ll be to spot a good deal on a well maintained, intelligently outfitted one when you see it.
Old 24-10-2018, 10:09   #14

Buy my 30' Americat sailing Catamaran �� 2 Queen births, easy single hand, $39k on Craigslist still Petersburg FL - in slip at Home | The Club at Treasure Island - Treasure Island, FL Helen 727-688-6826 oncallre@gmail.com
Americat30sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 10:38   #15

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
It seems like you're doing this backwards. I would have a series of boats lined up to look at, then I would plan my trip. Not the other way around. What if a Valiant 40 shows up in New London, CT?

Picking the timeline, then choosing the cities then hoping a boat is present is way backward.
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc