Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2018, 09:04   #31

Re: In Search of My Future

My email is bucketpennington@gmail.com
fucifino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:15   #32

Location: Sold the Full Moon in PR, now on St Simons Island, GA
Boat: Hunter, Deck Salon, 44, Fullmoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwhit View Post
Hi folks,

I am about to take off on a two week road trip from Maine to Florida in search of my future boat and I'm looking for some recommendations. Recommendations of places to shop, of boat models that would work for me AND letting me know if you so happen to know of an appropriate boat.

To give an idea of what size and style I'm after here are some models I am interested in: Valiant Esprit 37, Valiant 40, Passport 40, Fast Passage 39, Pacific Seacraft 37, Freya 39, Southern Cross 39. My price cap is 70K and I'm not looking for a huge project, but I have plenty of sweat equity to invest as well, with some experience in fiberglassing, woodworking, vessel systems, and engine repair.

I'm already planning on stopping in Annapolis, Charleston, St. Augustine, and St. Petersburg among other places. What other spots would be likely to have such boats for sale?

This will be my first "big" boat and although it won't be my last, it would be great to find THE boat for years of cruising to come.

Any tips are truly appreciated!

- Jesse
Brunswick Landing Marina in Brunswick, GA. Only about 15 easy minutes off I-95 at exit 36. Also a few at the Morningstar Marina at the end of the causeway going to to St. Simons Island, GA. Less than 20 easy minutes from exit 29 off I-95 and there is a great restaurant there. I live on St. Simons Island now, after living on my boat in the BVI for 18 months. Would be happy to meet you there for lunch and share my experiences. Happy Hunting
Fullmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 12:01   #33
So many boats, so little time.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FYC Club boats, 22 to 40.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americat30sail View Post
Buy my 30' Americat sailing Catamaran �� 2 Queen births, easy single hand, $39k on Craigslist still Petersburg FL - in slip at Home | The Club at Treasure Island - Treasure Island, FL Helen 727-688-6826 oncallre@gmail.com
Please post a link - google takes me to St. Pete RU - russia?!!
td0tz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 12:57   #34

Hi Jesse,

A few quick notes:

1. Get a notebook and take notes. After you've seen 5 or 6 boats you won't be able to remember details of any of them. (Trust me on this!)
2. Whether you take photos with your phone or a camera, always have the first picture in the series be the boat name (either on the transom or a life-ring, etc.
3. Get going SOON! Northern boatyards start to get cold very soon... boats are getting covered now which will make it more difficult to get a good look.
4. I have looked at boats in New England and Florida. In general, the ones up north are in better shape. Boats down south are often uncovered with the sails and running rigging still exposed to the weather. The UV/sunlight just destroys boats and everything on them.

I agree with the poster who suggested going to the boats, not the cities. Look on yachtworld and sailboatlistings, but don't forget Craigslist as well.

Best of luck. Let us know how it goes!!

wa1bda
wa1bda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 13:37   #35

You have listed the boats you like. Will you be the only one sailing or will their be crew or a significant other? I bring this up due to the number of cruising couple fails or changes.
In one instance a couple were getting their sailing experience and going for certificates- took a monohull out on Fl west coast on a windy day and spouse freaked out over the heeling of the boat. They ended up getting at catamaran. Another was a sailing/cruising family that after 1 year couldn't stand the rolling and heeling of a monohull and switched to a catamaran and are much happier.
A lot of people are not comfortable with the heeling of a monohull for a lot of reasons and studies show sailors begin to lose sharpness and capacity past 15 degrees heel for extended time and loss of sharpness and capacity becomes dangerous past 30 degrees for extended periods.
Check with your significant other if appropriate. Depending on answer, you might expand your search to include 34-39' cats.
drcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 15:05   #36

Newport, Rhode Island
Oriental, NC
eltha12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 04:31   #37

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 37

Thanks for the ideas!
Jwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 04:45   #38

mbiv2000, thanks for your response! I’m sorry to hear your plans had to change, Prague sure is nice though. I am going back to work this Friday, then I’ll be back on the hunt as soon as I’m back on shore, the beginning of December.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:52   #39

Hey Fullmoon, thanks for your reply! I’m not sure why I wasn’t seeing newer responses until this morning. It’s always great to meet fellow sailors and have a yam. Next time!
Old 07-11-2018, 10:49   #40

Oriental and New Bern NC.
JanezTealz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 13:39   #41

Hey y’all,

The offer I made on a Pacific Seacraft 37 in Naples, FL was accepted. Survey and sea trial will happen once I get back from my next hitch, Seattle to Hawaii and back. I appreciate all of the input folks left on the thread. I look forward to cruising together!

Cheers!
Old 07-11-2018, 13:56   #42
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Wow, nice boat!
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 14:55   #43

Boat: Scout 30

Excellent choice!
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 10:38   #44

Boat: Halvorsen Freya 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwhit View Post
Hi folks,

I am about to take off on a two week road trip from Maine to Florida in search of my future boat and I'm looking for some recommendations. Recommendations of places to shop, of boat models that would work for me AND letting me know if you so happen to know of an appropriate boat.

To give an idea of what size and style I'm after here are some models I am interested in: Valiant Esprit 37, Valiant 40, Passport 40, Fast Passage 39, Pacific Seacraft 37, Freya 39, Southern Cross 39. My price cap is 70K and I'm not looking for a huge project, but I have plenty of sweat equity to invest as well, with some experience in fiberglassing, woodworking, vessel systems, and engine repair.

I'm already planning on stopping in Annapolis, Charleston, St. Augustine, and St. Petersburg among other places. What other spots would be likely to have such boats for sale?

This will be my first "big" boat and although it won't be my last, it would be great to find THE boat for years of cruising to come.

Any tips are truly appreciated!

- Jesse
Hi. I have a Freya 42 in Corten steel listed in the Classifieds here, if you’re still looking for a serious Blue Water cruiser. It’s in Sydney Australia.
BunnyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 14:18   #45

Hi i have an Endurance 44 for sale

Needs some work in Fort Lauderdale

set up for cruising
SV DELPHINUS

Available with dock
phi3984 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc