Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2019, 11:12   #61
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Help find my boat...stolen

If it’s true that we are here to help others, then what, exactly, are the others here for?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 11:29   #62
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

The best reasons to exercise our altruist qualities are selfish ones.

Not sure how the question of "purpose" comes into it, meaning is something each of us create / construct for ourselves.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 13:01   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgal View Post
You must have jumped out of your skin when the young, European couple told you they saw her! There's hope now... Let's hope!

Your post is all over FB now (including the women's sailing groups, live aboard groups, Leaky Teaky, etc. - a shout goes to Zee for her help) with hopes that you're gal will be spotted by someone in our community.

Good luck to you and your Jade Queen, Warren.

Fingers crossed for her swift return.

wolfie
Eish.....the sarcasm is thick on this page/site!!!

The theft of Warrens boat has been posted on numerous pages on FB within the Caribbean extending into the Pacific.

Warren, we hope all the best for you
Psy at SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 18:30   #64

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec195 View Post
Good grief. Yet another thread hijacked. Just help the man find his boat, and concentrate on your own affairs and moral compass. Good luck to you sir in your search.
: thumb:

Really

I just looked back and see that, in the middle of a long post trying to help with locating the boat, after spending an hour on line with marinetraffic.com and boats for sale listings, I see that I mentioned that "It's a pity..." that we weren't brought in sooner. I don't see that as dissing the owner, although it might qualify as stating the obvious. Simply put we are looking for a needle in a haystack, and a needle that has likely been disguised to boot, in a haystack that is getting larger as time goes by. We can't change the past, but it is worth keeping in mind for the future. It is a valid point that I will stick with - with no disrespect intended.

What I will happily disrespect are those posts that are devoid of anything to help find the boat, but instead are spent moralizing. This includes those that are critical of possible lack of insurance (unknown) or timeliness, or this inane discussion of empathy/sympathy, AND those that simply criticize those posts and who are thus doing the same damn thing: feeling superior about themselves by criticizing others without actually contributing to finding the boat. Think about it.

Now, back on topic. The OP has been asked in several posts for additional information: nationality of the new owners, whether the boat had an AIS, what the MMSI is, additional photos that might help to identify it. There are a fair number of us who genuinely want to help, and who have wide-ranging contacts and some ability with sleuthing the internet. More information would be very helpful. I hope the OP will see fit to rejoin the thread and help us help him.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 15:02   #65

Boat: Vagabond Voyager 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
I’m assuming you had insurance which paid off your loss in which case it isn’t really your boat anymore. If you didn’t want to pay for insurance, it’s difficult to empathize with your situation particularly as you were in the hurricane belt.

For others reading this, insurance is only expensive if you never need it.
To S/V Illusion: Thank you for your kind, sensitive and empathic concerns. Yes it was insured but doesn't pay for the 3 years I put into making it 'my boat'. If the boat is found I have first right to get it back … at a price. My condolence to those who count on you for comfort during difficult times.
Offjetnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 15:16   #66

It occurs to me that, given the fair number of Vagabond 47s around, the best bet for locating her is to learn the new name. If there is a high confidence that she was in Curacao in the February-March timeframe then the Curacao Port Captain would have that information. It might take a request from a LEO to get him to spend the effort to search the records, and of course the new paperwork might describe her as a Wanderer 48 or some such invented design, but there won't be very many boats that could potentially fit the bill, and those can be whittled down with a little research.

For those who have not been there, the Dutch Antilles and especially the islands involved in the oil business are remarkably well run. I have no doubt that their record of yacht entry/exit is in very good order.

Greg
Old 03-06-2019, 15:38   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
It occurs to me that, given the fair number of Vagabond 47s around, the best bet for locating her is to learn the new name. If there is a high confidence that she was in Curacao in the February-March timeframe then the Curacao Port Captain would have that information. It might take a request from a LEO to get him to spend the effort to search the records, and of course the new paperwork might describe her as a Wanderer 48 or some such invented design, but there won't be very many boats that could potentially fit the bill, and those can be whittled down with a little research.

For those who have not been there, the Dutch Antilles and especially the islands involved in the oil business are remarkably well run. I have no doubt that their record of yacht entry/exit is in very good order.

Greg
Thank you, and you are quite right. I am working on that aspect and not only in the Antilles but elsewhere also. I appreciate the ideas that have been sent to me and I am attempting to put them into action.

Just to answer a few questions that have arisen … yes it's been a while since the boat went missing, but until recently I could only speculate that she was indeed stolen. Lloyds and the USCG do not offer much help. That could change with the USCG. For those of you who love your boats … you understand. It's more than dollars. Again, thanks to all who have offered ideas and will keep a look out for her.
Old 03-06-2019, 15:57   #68

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

I hope you get it back. Can you share more detailed information that makes you sure it was stolen?

Did you receive a payout from your insurance company?

This drone video was filmed in Nov 2018. Not sure if the time frame matches and you can spot your boat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=RwB5ITySQyc
Old 03-06-2019, 16:28   #69

Have you tried to PM s/v jedi? A lot of yacht traffic goes through the Shelter Bay Marina where he is moored in Panama. If the boat didn't transit the canal it may have gone to Boca del Toro, a popular area for US retirees, at least. Or perhaps they are enjoying the San Blas for the start of the hurricane season. In any event Shelter Bay is a good place to start as it is a bit of a crossroad.

Greg
Old 03-06-2019, 16:36   #70

It is my understanding that insurance companies frequently have contracts with security companies to find stolen boats. Depending on the arrangements for their finder's fee you might consider them either an ally in your search, or a competitor. If the former you might be ahead by sharing your leads with them. Just another something to consider...

Greg
Old 07-06-2019, 08:35   #71

Boat: Gulfstar 42

Hallo we saw a boat looking like yours in Curacao, end Jan.. a young American couple who had just bought the boat. We were having some Wood work done and they asked me to translate for them as they wanted to change the Name on the stern, but out Wood worker didn‘t have the tools .
They were having Problems with the Motor (My Husband thinks it was the transmission)....
One other thing....Was there a Magnum gas grill wrapped up on the boat with loads of tape...as mine had given up, they let me see it incase I wanted it
Not sure of this is at all helpful
Good Luck
Airborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 08:58   #72

Boat: Mariner 39' Le Freak

Must have a had some flag, when I see a boat and talk to the "owners", to the point where they confide about a bargain because if Irma. I would remember Name and Nationality (port). All you have to do is report to Colombian and or Panamanian Authorities. It's not that easy to be hopping around in the Caribbean
Le Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 09:05   #73

Let me ask the obvious:

How deep was the anchorage?
dreuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 09:09   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offjetnow View Post
Hi Folks; Stolen from Biscayne Bay, Miami, after Hurricane Irma. "Jade Queen" HIN# BYB473130883;
USA Documentation# 904841; Engine Serial # L014420U868121J (Perkins 4-236).
I was sailing with a friend a few weeks ago in St Maarten and ran into two sailors from Europe who saw my boat in Curacao. (Amazing story too long to tell here). A young couple bought it, and got a "great deal" because the boat had been through Hurricane Irma! (That's when she was stolen, here in South Fla.) After MANY calls to the USCG, I realize the only way to get my boat back is by flooding the internet with pictures and info. I will also contact my Senator and have him contact the USCG; perhaps then something will happen. It seems that the couple that bought the boat (from the thief) are victims also. If they contact me, I might work with them to mitigate their loss. According to the sailors, the couple were planning to sail to Panama, but not to the Pacific. This sighting was in February/March. Information was limited, but enough to convince me that my boat was seen. I intend to send a file by email to every country/immigration site in the Caribbean rim. I want my boat back. Offjetnow@gmail.com or 305-910-8075

I was at Dinner key a day after Irma. Anchored just outside of the mooring field. I don't recall seen that boat. Can tell you it was a real mess in there. Sunk boat everywhere, other on top of each others etc. There was no electrical power for few days, they had security guards at the gates of each peers. It didn't take long that salvage barge came in. There is a possibility that one of them took it away. Crooks can be very imaginative at time.

As for the coasties good luck with that. Same with F&W and Miami city police.
dancor01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 10:54   #75

All of that is true. However I scoured ALL the sites that FWC was using to bring vessels ashore and handed out flyers to the Officers involved. As I said before I flew around the area as well, (illegally low in fact) and one thing I can say for sure is Jade Queen was no longer in Miami-Dade county. I can't thank this community enough for the helpful response I've experienced. I owe you all a debt I could never repay. Blessings to ALL!

Tags
boat