Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2019, 10:02   #121

Re: Help find my boat...stolen

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Inherent to any charge of fraud, is proof of fraudulent **intent**
or at least to a conviction...
KC375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 10:04   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Inherent to any charge of fraud, is proof of fraudulent **intent**
Sure..not saying the OP would do this but...

OP collects from insurance company for total loss of the boat.

OP finds boat and takes possession of it.

OP intends to not notify insurance company that he got the boat back and thus intends not to refund of the claim money (or at least allow for an adjustment if the loss of use is covered)

Hence the recommendation to be clear with the insurance company exactly what happened, so there is no misunderstanding regarding the intent.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 15:12   #123

Boat: 1978 True North 34

Warren, One other suggestion. Seen this done before.

Your BOLO on Facebook sites will be buried by new posts and soon forgotten.

Make a one page poster with a picture of your boat’s outside view – include all your BOLO information and contact information. Ask cruisers or marinas in the areas you suspect it might be at or going to, to post it on the marina’s bulletin board for all to see – you forward copy of your poster electronically and they can print and post on your behalf. You just need a few volunteers out there.

Many cruisers are smarter than all of us and elect to be social media disconnected and therefore will not be aware otherwise.

Joe Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2019, 09:54   #124

Boat: Irwin, 44

Did you file a stolen vessel report with the appropriate agency? Perhaps Miami Dade Police ? What is the case number? Was it listed as stolen in FCIC/NCIC ?

Tom
gtwashio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2019, 10:09   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Abbott View Post
Based on what I read on Irma, most insurance companies that paid out did not claim ownership of the vessels - if they did, then they would be liable for the recovery, cleanup, and disposal.

The owner of Jade Queen never stated he had to endorse the USCG COD or transfer title by legal bill of sale to the insurance company so I assume ownership remains his.
That would probably be true if the insurance company had actually seen the boat and evaluated any damage.

For a missing boat, you'd think the insurance company who paid out would still have an interest in it.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2019, 11:43   #126

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat

I’ve been thinking about this for awhile. Not saying they did anything illegal but the couple who bought the boat indicated they got a great deal or something to that effect. So at what point in time does a transaction between two parties become more than a good deal? When does it reach a point that they are complicit in knowingly purchasing stolen goods? Depending what the “good deal” was this couple probably knew something wasn’t quite legit. If that’s true they are probably doing everything they can to change the appearance of the boat. Name, paint, sails, dinghy, everything.
Old 21-06-2019, 11:53   #127

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

I don't think price alone can prove knowledge of stolen goods. Things are sold under market price all the time, and I'm sure there was a good story told by the thief selling it - family emergency, any number of lies. But - they will lose the boat if it is discovered, and lose everything they paid to the thief. Theft hurts everyone.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2019, 04:35   #128
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Tom.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2019, 05:45   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by category4jay View Post
I’ve been thinking about this for awhile. Not saying they did anything illegal but the couple who bought the boat indicated they got a great deal or something to that effect. So at what point in time does a transaction between two parties become more than a good deal? When does it reach a point that they are complicit in knowingly purchasing stolen goods? Depending what the “good deal” was this couple probably knew something wasn’t quite legit. If that’s true they are probably doing everything they can to change the appearance of the boat. Name, paint, sails, dinghy, everything.

You're starting with multiple layers of hearsay, and adding conjecture.

It's a bit much, isn't it?
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2019, 19:55   #130

Boat: Pearson 365 and Jeanneau 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Insurence can be a double edged sword.
I witnessed the Insurence company basically steal an old man’s Maule. He had owned it forever, and it was insured for what he had paid for it 30 yrs ago. He had a hard landing, Insurence showed up and wrote him a check for what it was insured for, and turned around and sold it for more, cause it was underinsured.
Then it’s entirely possible to have more in a 40 yr old boat than it can be insured for, then there is the very real cost of Insurence, some may not can afford it.

And you have to read the “fine print”. Some insurance companies will let you insure for whatever value you wish to designate to Hull value, others will define as market value. If you over insure, your choice or your loss. You can V-ref yourself or choose the level of loss depending on conditions. Meanwhile, back at the hangar, you just lost your vintage cub and ended up with less than market value because you didn’t read the out (exclusion) in the policy. Really boring, no plot and incredible consequences.
piloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2019, 12:44   #131

Boat: Vagabond Voyager 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Sure..not saying the OP would do this but...

OP collects from insurance company for total loss of the boat.

OP finds boat and takes possession of it.

OP intends to not notify insurance company that he got the boat back and thus intends not to refund of the claim money (or at least allow for an adjustment if the loss of use is covered)

Hence the recommendation to be clear with the insurance company exactly what happened, so there is no misunderstanding regarding the intent.
I would like to again thank Joe Abbott for his insightful and informative advice. It was truly most appreciated. For those who continue to castigate me and question my efforts to recover my boat, with ridiculous assertions acquired through mental masturbation, I can only respond with something my mom told me many years ago regarding such people..."we fear others, for we know ourselves". I don't care if someone wishes not to help, but please don't fetter those who caringly, and in the cruiser's spirit, attempt to assuage my loss with assistance. The insurance company can have the money, I want MY boat back!
Offjetnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2019, 06:31   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offjetnow View Post
I would like to again thank Joe Abbott for his insightful and informative advice. It was truly most appreciated. For those who continue to castigate me and question my efforts to recover my boat, with ridiculous assertions acquired through mental masturbation, I can only respond with something my mom told me many years ago regarding such people..."we fear others, for we know ourselves". I don't care if someone wishes not to help, but please don't fetter those who caringly, and in the cruiser's spirit, attempt to assuage my loss with assistance. The insurance company can have the money, I want MY boat back!
I suggest re-reading my post. I was addressing someone else's post and specifically stated that I WAS NOT saying the OP (Ie: you) would do this.

So unless you are saying you would hide recovery of the boat from the insurance company, no castigation involved.

If you would purposely hide it, castigation deserved.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:27   #133

Ill have a look next days
alseocreaciones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:54   #134

Boat: Vagabond Voyager 47

To All; My remonstrations were not directed with specificity to anyone in particular. However as the cogitations of the forum begin to evolve into areas of unhelpful, and untrue accusatory rhetoric I became increasingly dismayed and felt like I was being victimized twice. Like a rape victim being asked unscrupulously why she didn't have more locks on her door and who installed your locks, you or someone else... Really?
I bought a boat I loved. Spent four years restoring her at great expense; not only monetarily. Fact: Someone stole the boat. It still belongs to me and I want it back! All this talk about insurance is like superciliously asking the rape victim if she enjoyed any part of it, so by inference she doesn't deserve justice or it really wasn't a crime. My goal was to alert the cruising community and entreat, plea for their assistance in locating my boat. Nothing more. Again, my most heartful thanks to those who have expressed willingness to keep a vigilant eye out, and those who have given beneficent advice. Blessings!
Offjetnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 04:21   #135
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, alseocreaciones.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat