Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2018, 10:13   #1

Boat: 1967 Pearson 35
Firefly Oasis 116Ah 12v batteries (lead carbon foam)

I have 4 Firefly Oasis 12v 116Ah marine batteries for sale, located in St. Augustine, Florida. Brand new, still in box, $500 each all four must go, firm price.

https://staugustine.craigslist.org/b...748919992.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181113_121157.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	407.5 KB
ID:	180597  
Cyrus Safdari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2018, 18:59   #2

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Re: Firefly Oasis 116Ah 12v batteries (lead carbon foam)

Please check your messages.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2018, 19:17   #3

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

Nice, I paid $486 for mine ++6% sales tax and waited four months for delivery.
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2018, 19:27   #4

Boat: Outremer 55L

Why selling them?
fxykty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 05:42   #5

Boat: Pearson 323

This is probably not the place to post this, but I had never known that this battery technology existed before seeing this 'for sale' ad.

They look like a Group 31 size and the AH rating fits that size too. But are they really worth twice the price of what I consider a premium AGM battery of similar rating?

Last year I replaced all my batteries with Trojan Group 31 AGM @ $240.00 each. I consider them one of the best deep cycle AGMs on the market.
mjscottinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 05:58   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjscottinnc View Post

They look like a Group 31 size and the AH rating fits that size too. But are they really worth twice the price of what I consider a premium AGM battery of similar rating?.

Yes they are.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 06:09   #7

Quote:
This is probably not the place to post this, but I had never known that this battery technology existed before seeing this 'for sale' ad.

They look like a Group 31 size and the AH rating fits that size too. But are they really worth twice the price of what I consider a premium AGM battery of similar rating?

Last year I replaced all my batteries with Trojan Group 31 AGM @ $240.00 each. I consider them one of the best deep cycle AGMs on the market.
It depends:

From a sulfation standpoint, not necessarily for their early lifecycle but certainly as the batteries age. Regular AGM's will begin a steady downward capacity somewhere midlife while the firefly's are much more resilient, meaning much more capacity is retained compared to normal AGM's well before either battery is ready for replacement.

From a capacity standpoint, you can fit more Ah into the same footprint for the equivalent lifecycle count. This means you can run an extra day without charging when needed, which means that tomorrow may be sunny, which means I may not need to run my generator. For space challenged boats this is a plus...
Old 15-11-2018, 06:35   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
It depends:

From a sulfation standpoint, not necessarily for their early lifecycle but certainly as the batteries age. Regular AGM's will begin a steady downward capacity somewhere midlife while the firefly's are much more resilient, meaning much more capacity is retained compared to normal AGM's well before either battery is ready for replacement.

From a capacity standpoint, you can fit more Ah into the same footprint for the equivalent lifecycle count. This means you can run an extra day without charging when needed, which means that tomorrow may be sunny, which means I may not need to run my generator. For space challenged boats this is a plus...
Have you owned them through 2 replacement cycles? If so how long between replacements? What is your normal daily Ah usage? Do they need to be recharged using a different charge algorithm?

My Torjan's are rated at 105 Ah and the posted batteries are rated at 117 Ah and if they are both Group 31 in size, I'm not sure I understand 'more Ah in the same footprint'. Yes 12 Ah is more, but not significantly more.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to discredit anything. I'm an electrical engineer and want to understand them better.
Old 15-11-2018, 08:22   #9

Boat: Nordhavn 47

Quote:
Have you owned them through 2 replacement cycles? If so how long between replacements? What is your normal daily Ah usage? Do they need to be recharged using a different charge algorithm?

My Torjan's are rated at 105 Ah and the posted batteries are rated at 117 Ah and if they are both Group 31 in size, I'm not sure I understand 'more Ah in the same footprint'. Yes 12 Ah is more, but not significantly more.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to discredit anything. I'm an electrical engineer and want to understand them better.

There are several threads on the firefly that you may want to read. The benefits seem to be that you can discharge further without damage and keep in a partial state of charge for longer periods without damage. For most of us it is like using lithium without the cost/worry about charging issues. The downside is lower voltages then lithium in the lower range.
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 08:26   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkleins View Post
There are several threads on the firefly that you may want to read. The benefits seem to be that you can discharge further without damage and keep in a partial state of charge for longer periods without damage. For most of us it is like using lithium without the cost/worry about charging issues. The downside is lower voltages then lithium in the lower range.
I'll search the threads out, thank you so much.
Old 15-11-2018, 09:15   #11
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Yes a For Sale thread is not the place to get into a discussion on them.

Continue one of these after reading at least a few

https://www.google.com/search?q=site...OR++maine-sail
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 09:19   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Yes a For Sale thread is not the place to get into a discussion on them.

Continue one of these after reading at least a few

https://www.google.com/search?q=site...OR++maine-sail
Well, since this is a 'Boat for Sale' forum and the post was for batteries, I figured since one rule was broken, why not two.

But OK. I'm gone.
Old 15-11-2018, 12:09   #13

Quote:

I have not and we don't expect to ever go through another set. We have owned them for about 1 year and so far they have performed as advertised. We often go down to 40% or sometimes 30% capacity and they recharge amazingly fast - so far we have had no loss in capacity or the ability to maintain voltage.

We had trojan wet cells before and there is zero comparison between the two we had 4xT145 which in theory gave us 260 usable Ah but in reality they recharge so slowly that we often only got 150 Ah from them daily, which is a lot less than our firefly's. We often reach close to full on the fireflys because they make very efficient use of the available charging sources.

It's not 12 Ah difference in that footprint, it's about 20-30 Ah per battery in our use case. So almost like adding a whole other battery.
Old 15-11-2018, 13:32   #14

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:

It depends on your application. I for example spend 99% of the time on the hook. I also have limited auxiliary charging, 350 watts of solar and as a result my batteries cycle between 50-90% a lot of the time in higher latitudes and cloudy days. This usage pattern would degrade traditional AGMs relatively quickly and cut short their service life. The benefit of Fireflies to me is that I can run them for extended periods without a “conditioning cycle” and when I perform it they come back to 100% capacity. They also have a better charge acceptance rate, which means when I do have to run my motor I get a lot more juice out of each gallon of diesel burned.

If you plug in every week or two there would not be much point in buying Fireflies.
Old 15-11-2018, 15:26   #15

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

I am a multihull guy. I love the idea of Firefly's technology. Until i saw the weight. Seventy something lbs per battery. If i wanted a bank of 4 batteries...yikes...i am carrying a small guerrilla.

so, that means LiFePO4 or a Honda generator combo. There is no way for me to carry 300 lbs of battery. Right now i have 2 lead acid 100 amp batteries. That will not cut it when i have watermaker and something like a Cool Blue.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote