Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2017, 23:14   #1

Boat: looking for a 38' catamaran
Dragonfly 1200

Google shows a couple for sale:
2002 in Italy, asking $308K (VAT paid)
2003 in Greece, asking $340K (VAT paid)
Those are too expensive and, since I won't be keeping it in the EU, VAT being paid is worth nothing to me.

Saw a 2001 from Portugal that says Sold. Asking was $222K and it was well equipped. That asking price is closer to my budget.

If you know someone who has one they're willing to sell, have them contact me.
retiredengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2017, 08:34   #2

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Re: Dragonfly 1200

Try posting something on the Dragonfly Forum

Dragonfly Trimarans for Sale (and bits & pieces) - Dragonfly Trimarane zu Verkaufen / Gesucht

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2017, 19:10   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
They charge $70 for a 3-month Wanted ad. Crazy!!
And don't allow Wanted postings in the Forum. It's no wonder the site doesn't seem to be used much. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
Old 29-09-2017, 11:49   #4

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

So, let me get this straight.

You are ready to pop for over $200k for the right boat, but $70 is out of your range to put your name in front of the Dragonfly Owner's Forum?

Granted, it doesn't have the traffic of CF, but it also is dedicated to ONE brand of boat.
I check for traffic there almost every day.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 14:26   #5

Except for one post in March 2017, all previous posts in the DF1200 Forum are from 2015 and earlier. And, while there is a slightly more traffic in the other forum areas, it doesn't seem like spending money for a Wanted ad on this site would be worthwhile. So, yeah, you have it correct. While I have a $200,000+ budget for a boat, I am not willing to spend $70 on 3-month ad that I think would be a waste of money.

If this post in the Cruisers Forum (which does get a lot of traffic) doesn't garner any prospects, hopefully, the Dragonfly broker I contacted will find something.
Old 29-09-2017, 18:28   #6
So many boats, so little time.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FYC Club boats, 22 to 40.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredengineer View Post
Except for one post in March 2017, all previous posts in the DF1200 Forum are from 2015 and earlier. And, while there is a slightly more traffic in the other forum areas, it doesn't seem like spending money for a Wanted ad on this site would be worthwhile. So, yeah, you have it correct. While I have a $200,000+ budget for a boat, I am not willing to spend $70 on 3-month ad that I think would be a waste of money.
Quote:
No one wants to waste money, but I just counted 20 (twenty) ads posted on the above page between June and September of THIS year.
For such a low volume manufacturer that seems pretty active to me.

Sure, there may not be ads for a given model at a given moment, but that's the beauty of a "hey, thinking of selling your very special boat" ad - you might find one before anyone else, you might even get someone to thinking...
td0tz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 19:59   #7
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
So, let me get this straight.

You are ready to pop for over $200k for the right boat, but $70 is out of your range to put your name in front of the Dragonfly Owner's Forum?

Granted, it doesn't have the traffic of CF, but it also is dedicated to ONE brand of boat.
I check for traffic there almost every day.

Sounds to me like he isn't a serious buyer.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 20:06   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Sounds to me like he isn't a serious buyer.
Troll
Old 29-09-2017, 20:19   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by td0tz View Post
No one wants to waste money, but I just counted 20 (twenty) ads posted on the above page between June and September of THIS year.
For such a low volume manufacturer that seems pretty active to me.

Sure, there may not be ads for a given model at a given moment, but that's the beauty of a "hey, thinking of selling your very special boat" ad - you might find one before anyone else, you might even get someone to thinking...
Of those posts, not many have received replies. Though, you did bring up a good point that this might be "pretty active" for a low volume manufacturer. I have registered on the site and will post an inquiry whether the readers think a WANTED ad is worth the cost. If I receive no replies, that will tell me it is not.
Old 29-09-2017, 20:20   #10
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredengineer View Post
Troll

Nope, someone that has common sense and has purchased many boats. For less than $25 per month you can open up a possibility of buying your dream boat from an owner with no broker involved. This could mean a huge savings for yourself plus direct communication with the previous owner, worth well more than a measly $25 per month.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 20:22   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Nope, someone that has common sense and has purchased many boats. For less than $25 per month you can open up a possibility of buying your dream boat from an owner with no broker involved. This could mean a huge savings for yourself plus direct communication with the previous owner, worth well more than a measly $25 per month.
Well, that is a better reply than your first. Thanks for the input.
Old 29-09-2017, 20:25   #12

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

I own a DF1200. If you're in the US you should be talking with Richard S. at Dragonfly USA. He knows all the US owners; who is selling, and who is thinking about selling.
I've bought 3 Dragonfly boats through Richard, and sold 2. Not one of them was ever advertised on the "open" market.
BYW he's a great guy to deal with, low key and honest.

PS - $70 is the price of a mediocre dinner for two these days. I agree with senormechanico, it's not a lot to lose, and don't worry about the VAT, it's sunk money and if you keep those records it might make it easier for you to sell the boat to Europe in the future.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 20:32   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
I own a DF1200. If you're in the US you should be talking with Richard Suriani at Dragonfly USA. He knows all the US owners and who is selling, and who is thinking about selling.
I've bought 3 Dragonfly boats through Richard, and sold 2. Not one of them was ever advertised on the "open" market.
BYW he's a great guy to deal with, low key and honest.
Thanks. I have been in contact with Gary Helms in Alameda, CA, who is the west coast Dragonfly dealer. Gary and a DF35 owner I met both mentioned Richard Suriani, too. If Gary cannot help me with a particular DF1200 we discussed last month (and not on the market), I will be contacting Richard.
Old 29-09-2017, 20:49   #14

One more thing- once a boat is 10+ years old, condition is a huge factor in determining market price. The pictures in ads don't tell the story. If you need to travel out of area it would be wise to have someone local do a first hand look and send you some good quality close pictures showing current condition before you board a plane. That might cost you extra if you buy the boat -- or save you a lot of time and travel expenses if you don't buy it.
Also, the price of the equivalent boat sold new is a factor. The early 2000's Dragonfly boats held value because the dollar sunk so much in the decade following. I bought my boat in 2008 for more than the original owner paid when it was new (because the new 2008 boats had risen to than twice that price). If you find a DF1200 in really good condition it's likely more than $200k. A new DF35 well equipped is 3x that, or more, and the 1200 is much larger and nicer.
Old 29-09-2017, 21:04   #15

Also, FYI there were at least two standard aft cabin configurations. One has two single berths and a teak counter with sink between (with second head beneath the teak sink cabinet- top lifts on air assist pistons). The other has one queen sized berth with second enclosed head.
The former is generally better for a family while the latter is generally better for two couples.