Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2019, 07:41   #1

Boat: Dean 440 Custom Cat
Catamaran 38-50'

I am looking for a catamaran as a live-a-board. Price is up to $120 000.00
We want to end up in the Caribbean.
Any and all info will be greatly appreciated.
psahd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 07:19   #2

Boat: Leopard L38
Re: Catamaran 38-50'

Quote:
Originally Posted by psahd View Post
Never going to happen for $120,000 You are obviously new to this. I will be selling my well found Leopard L38 for 200k
Phisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 07:36   #3

Boat: Planet, Earth LOA∞

Quote:
Originally Posted by psahd View Post
How old can it be?
fcftampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 07:46   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

Do a Yachtworld search. You will see a few available that aren't salvage. Most are very old school project boats, but it can be done.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 23:07   #5

Thanks for the responses. I have found a few in the range but I realise that I am playing in the dangerous end of the market. Nevertheless, if you don't have a line in the water...
Old 08-10-2019, 23:08   #6

Age is not the primary concern. I would rather have an old well maintained than a newer neglected...
Old 08-10-2019, 23:22   #7

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

A good Wharram catamaran fully equipped for living aboard and/or circumnavigating can be found (or bought and equipment added) within that budget.
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 07:18   #8

Hello
WE have just returned from looking at a Prout Snowgoose Elite 37 in the marina at Kas, Turkey. We spent three days carefully inspecting this boat (we have had catamarans in the past and done several circumnavigations, so reasonably experienced at what to look for in a second hand vessel)
She is a late 2001 hull, built by Prout but the fit out took some years, being done by a French boat yard... We believe that it may have been five years before she was commissioned. She was then returned to UK where she was hardly used. Engine Hours in 2013 around 240. She sailed from UK to the eastern Med in 2017 and has been kept in a marina since.
The genuine engine hours are around 970 each engine, and they appeared in v ery well maintained condition. The boat overall is in excellent condition. All the electronics work, it has radar, sails in good condition. The timber internally is bright and in good condition. The owner had a dream to sail around the world but I think his family were not interested in joining him... ??? He then incurred a large debt and reluctantly has had to put her up for sale. --- asking around £75,000 (but negotiable I believe)

If the sleeping arrangements had been better for the two of us (in our seventies) we would have quite happily purchased her. This was a fixture that could not be adapted for us. Prout Catamarans have been sailing around the world for many years and to our knowledge there has never been a mishap with them. They are strongly built and totally sea worthy - You will find them in many world locations. By today's standards in appearance they look old fashioned and they are not the huge beamy boats one sees in the charter fleets etc. today.. But by the same token for this amount of money you will get a very liveable and seaworthy boat for the Caribbean. We would not hesitate to sail her across from the Med... if the caribbean was our destination.
Here are his contact details
Mr Alon Cohen
email - ac52.law@gmail.com
LillyPilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 23:00   #9

Over 30 boats on Yacht World in your price range, over 38ft. Some are salvage, some appear to be in good shape. Good luck.
ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 06:37   #10

Hi,
The prout 37 I wrote of is now listed on the Apollo Duck web site. ( a site used by sellers wishing to sell privately). Boat details and many photos
We feel that it's listed price of £68,000 is v g value. The owner is obviously keen to sell. It was £75 k in September.
We do not have any vested interest in her, just would like to assist the seller as he was most hospitable to us.
Old 15-10-2019, 00:03   #11

Thanks for the leads and comments. I will certainly follow up. @LillyPilly The Prout is in good condition. My concern would be liveable space as a liveaboard?
Old 15-10-2019, 21:31   #12

Hi... we lived almost 20 years on a smaller 🐈 10 metres, sailed two and three quarter times around the world...size was not a deciding factor. The UK boat model was strongly built and seaworthy..our priorities.
Small was v user friendly
Less costly to.berth, haul out and.maintain those hulls.look enormous at bottom painting time.
We moored in dodgy places blending in with local craft..rather than sticking out like s sore thumb.
Often we found a corner in a harbour/marina to squeeze into where a bigger boat could not.
We lived very comfortably, small motorbike on foredeck, 12 volt two-door fridge freezer, AB rib dinghy on davits, solar panels, galley with ample storage, heads, two comfy double cabins. And virtually self sufficient...
The Prout has a decent sized aft cockpit for alfresco living, and a big solid foredeck, no bouncy trampoline.. the rig is manageable the main not being as huge as on the European newer models..
Many were.built over the years and can be found all around the world..they have a vg reputation safety and seaworthy..they just don't have big beamy look (and space) as the later cats do. Without the attendant price tag..or worn out ex charters.
Our last cat was a 380 a nice live aboard in Caribbean but we would not have necessarily chosen her for long distance passages or circumnavigation.
Life as s live aboard is what you make it...hassle free, financially viable, time off to smell the flowers fangipani s in the Caribe...and boat size is not always the.most important factor..
Bit long winded , apologies. Just my two bob's worth
Good luck with your search.
Old 16-10-2019, 10:18   #13

Here you go

https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee...980806815.html
Rontero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 11:18   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyPilly View Post
We lived very comfortably, small motorbike on foredeck,...
What motorbike did you have? And how easy was it to use in different countries?

I heard while its not too hard to get it from A-B and onland. The challenge is that you need to have it registered as its a motor vehicle as such needs registration/licensing...

My 2 farthings worth
AndrewA2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 18:47   #15

It was a Honda wave 110 cc step through model capable of carrying two adults and lots of shopping in back packs... It had Thai licence paper and although we got looks sometimes due to the strange number plate Thai writing we were never questioned. We lowered it from the foredeck into our rib dinghy deflated the front tubes to wheel it off onto the beach. Other times tied to a jetty, pier and off loaded it there. It was incredibly useful and enabled us to explore further afield than just coastal areas. Customs and immigration rarely come out to a small boat, you go to their office to do your check in..no one ever saw the bike.
In Australia we had to have it re licenced they love their rules...in Oz.. it had to be inspected for earth , soil from another country, they are v strict about quarantine there. And that was why they saw the bike still on board and then suggested we licence it .. by this time it's Thai Rego. had long expired. We then continued using Oz licence ..that too expired after a year, but in other countries no one questioned either Thai or Australian licence plate. After some years
eventually sold it to another yachtie in Panama..bought another one next visit to Thailand... .

Tags
catamaran