Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2021, 08:50   #31

Re: Boat for a living

Free or nearly free boats are not that uncommon. Of course they have usually been neglected, so if that is your "target market" (and it should be) then the question is perhaps, which hull materials tolerate neglect best or can be most easily, cheaply and safely repaired?

Steel IMHO is the best combination of those criteria, not to mention overall strength and durability. For newish sailors venturing to new places on a tight budget, with in every sense your entire lives in that boat, I suggest such "survivability" is the most important thing of all.

If you are anything like the Siberians I have seen, you already have the skills and mindset of a survivor: one who can think and act on their own and has manual and mechanical aptitude.

Learn to weld is one skill I would add to your list, but electrical and radio knowledge would also be very important.

But have you considered joining the crew of a Russian-owned mega-yacht or in fact any other ocean-going vessel as a way to go abroad and visit places where you might find the boat and opportunities you seek?

The best of luck to you!
Tillikum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 09:06   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayariTatu View Post
Hello, my name is Maxim, I am from Siberia. The situation with Covid-19 did not allow buying a boat in Sweden, most of the countries are inaccessible to Russians. We plan to sail with my wife as soon as possible because the iron curtain is closing. I have no experience of sailing at sea, but I built a sailboat and operated it for six years, in a fresh river. I can work with wood, epoxy and fiberglass. I understand engines and gearboxes. I am looking for a boat from 8 meters, in the Mediterranean or not far. Albin Vega was a priority, but she's not to be found here. If you or someone you know sells such a boat for adequate money, or you know that the boat disappears on the shore, I would be very grateful for the information. According to the plan, training at sea for a year and a transatlantic crossing next fall, and then how will it turn out. This dream has become a goal and I use all the means to achieve it. Our boat budget is around 5,000 euros, unfortunately this is the highest price. We are not looking for gifts, we are looking for a path to a dream. I would be glad to receive any information and help. Thanks in advance and sorry for the google translator.
P.S. Today Croatia, Montenegro, Albania, Greece, Turkey and Britain are available to us, but we are looking at all the countries of the Mediterranean Sea.
Perhaps Maxim someone else has replied with this idea but If so I will repeat it. Everywhere there are boats there are there are storage yards with abandoned boats. They may be bought very cheap or even gotten for free. With your skills you can find a boat with "good bones" and restore it. You can continuously "upgrade" by fixing and selling. This is one pathway to realizing your dream.
If you can find your way to the Pacific coast of Mexico you will find many boats at good prices.
seaamigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 09:22   #33

Boat: Omega 36

Maxim, I understand you very well. In the US you can find a boat for free, even maybe locals would pay you just for taking out an abandoned one. But (!) to fix such boats you have to have a workshop, spend a lot of money, and it will take many months. In Europe probably the same. I know in Greece you can tie a boat for free in many islands - I sailed there about 7 years ago.
I think you have chosen a wrong way. I know some countries are looking for seasonal workers, or try to emigrate. It would be more realistic way to make your dreams come true.

Good luck
Kolchac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 09:37   #34
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Steel is a terrible boat material. Great for trawlers awful for yachts. Old steel is the worst of all

Old grp can be worked on with largely Diy tools and with sufficient elbow grease can be made to look Like new.
Old 01-11-2021, 09:38   #35

Boat: custom trawler catamaran 50 feet

Quote:
Hello, my name is Maxim, I am from Siberia. The situation with Covid-19 did not allow buying a boat in Sweden, most of the countries are inaccessible to Russians. We plan to sail with my wife as soon as possible because the iron curtain is closing. I have no experience of sailing at sea, but I built a sailboat and operated it for six years, in a fresh river. I can work with wood, epoxy and fiberglass. I understand engines and gearboxes. I am looking for a boat from 8 meters, in the Mediterranean or not far. Albin Vega was a priority, but she's not to be found here. If you or someone you know sells such a boat for adequate money, or you know that the boat disappears on the shore, I would be very grateful for the information. According to the plan, training at sea for a year and a transatlantic crossing next fall, and then how will it turn out. This dream has become a goal and I use all the means to achieve it. Our boat budget is around 5,000 euros, unfortunately this is the highest price. We are not looking for gifts, we are looking for a path to a dream. I would be glad to receive any information and help. Thanks in advance and sorry for the google translator.
P.S. Today Croatia, Montenegro, Albania, Greece, Turkey and Britain are available to us, but we are looking at all the countries of the Mediterranean Sea.
hello you have to look on this site " le bon coin"
https://www.leboncoin.fr/nautisme/2034535533.htm
you will find a lot of sailboat for less of 5000 $
can you travel to France?
rapanui 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 09:41   #36
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Boat for a living

Maxim.. If you have a license to drive heavy goods vehicles you can make some money in the UK and in your time off look for bargains.. they are desperate for drivers.
Some good boats come up at very cheap prices in Scotland where its to cold to be 'fashionable'.. ya do it for the hit.
With the right base, earning.. and boatyards that let you work on your own boat.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 11:48   #37

Quote:
Hello, my name is Maxim, I am from Siberia. The situation with Covid-19 did not allow buying a boat in Sweden, most of the countries are inaccessible to Russians. We plan to sail with my wife as soon as possible because the Iron Curtain is closing...
WOW!
Thank you for clearly stating the faint memories lingering around the fringes of my awareness!
I knew I recognized something familiar, but it took a Siberian to bring it into focus!
Yes, I think you are accurate in saying "...the Iron Curtain is closing..."!
Thank you for speaking the thoughts/feelings of my friends and family.
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 12:49   #38

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Hi blu3534 =) 5000 euros just for the purchase of a boat, I understand that this is the price of a sail, but sometimes people sell unnecessary or require investments and repairs. In fact, my message is a cry from the heart, from the fact that the dream is melting before our eyes.
I tried to join the carriage, but my wife and I are single and are afraid to let people down.
I speak English, but I can't say much because I have no practice. The "Iron Curtain" is an expression of the times of the Cold War (the USSR and the USA), everything is complicated in my country and it is only getting worse, the time is not far off when we will be forbidden to travel outside its borders.
Thank you very much for your reply.
You seem to speak English much better than most of us speak Russian. I'm thinking part of your problem is related to Covid as nobody can just go anywhere at the moment, regardless of where they are from. With your budget (which is about $7,500 USD) you'll probably not find a couples' boat but easily could easily pursue finding a job as crew on somebody else's boat especially if your wife can cook. There are places where you can find fixable boats within your budget, but they're not in Europe. The Rio Dulce in Guatemala or the Philippines would be a good place to look but first you have to get there.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 01:48   #39

Boat: Adams 13, 13.5m

Steel might be hard to maintain to the highest yacht standards, but many of us have cruised extensively in cheap steel yachts. PM me if you ever want to get some ideas about refitting a small steel yacht cheaply for long distance voyaging,
All the best
barryglewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 04:15   #40
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryglewis View Post
Steel might be hard to maintain to the highest yacht standards, but many of us have cruised extensively in cheap steel yachts. PM me if you ever want to get some ideas about refitting a small steel yacht cheaply for long distance voyaging,
All the best

My point was old steel vessels can be a nightmare.
Old 11-11-2021, 16:22   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Steel is a terrible boat material. Great for trawlers awful for yachts. Old steel is the worst of all

Old grp can be worked on with largely Diy tools and with sufficient elbow grease can be made to look Like new.

I suppose it can, but isn't the question more whether it can be made to function like new?

GRP new will never have the strength of steel of any age, and age is no measure of anything in steel; the questions are the initial quality and how it has been maintained.

One thing we know; a proper weld is as strong or stronger than surrounding metal; can that be said of a GRP repair?

A piece of hull plating can be cut out and a new one welded in between the fall and rise of a tide with a suitcase welder, a grinder and not much else - how about one of those GRP jobs?

Nothing except monel or aluminum alloy approaches the strength of steel or it's impact and abrasion resistance.

If it's such a "terrible boat material" someone ought to tell the Dutch -among others!
Tillikum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2021, 23:54   #42

Boat: Nordic Family Boat, 29ft

Hello Maxim!

I am a long time lurker but actually made an account to answer you. You have mentioned Sweden a lot, and I want to recommend the website www.blocket.se where you can find many, many boats in your price range. Just be a little careful, there is a mix between good deals and neglected old boats.

Instead of the Vega, perhaps you should also consider one of the long-keeled "Koster"-type boats? I already have a boat, but if not I would probably buy this Allegro 27:
Link to blocket ad

If you need any help translating etc. just say to me! My plan is to go cruising in a couple of years, and I can relate to your dream and wanting to go cheap etc.

Best of luck!
Northlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2022, 00:02   #43

Boat: Try to own Albin Vega

Hello again. After what Russia has done, our search has become a necessity. We managed to escape to Turkey, the currency can be said to have been taken away. So the search for a "free" boat continues. If you happen to see an ad about her, please share.
SayariTatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2022, 00:47   #44

Boat: Volkscruiser

SayariTatu have you thought about a go fund me page? I wonder if it would be possible to crowd fund you into a yacht like this in Athens Greece?
I don't usually like internet begging but yours is an unusual set of circumstances and surely forum members could put their hands in their pockets and help you out.
I have got to say thanks as well, your post made me look at another source of boat for sale ads I never knew I could access.
Cheers
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...2-3cfab15689b7
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2022, 01:04   #45

Boat: Volkscruiser

SayariTatu it looks like in Favignana, Sicilia there's an Albin Vega for sale. $8500 Euros.
Personally after surveying an Albin Vega I didn't think much of them and can't understand what all the hype is about. I like the Comet below.
Cheers
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...4-02f682ab98a1
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...4-02f682ab98a1
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat