Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2020, 20:53   #1

Boat: Tartan 33
Blue Water cruiser 35-40 WA State

We are looking for a bluewater cruiser able to handle offshore passages. Our navigation plan is going to be local cruising and during a few years and then to the Sea of Cortez (in a few years). After that, we may sail to the Mediterranean sea.

We are not looking for a project boat.

We have been looking so far to Tayana 37, HC 38, IP, Sweeden Yacht 36 but we are very open to discover any boat with offshore capability.

Our budget is between 50/60K max. That has been so far the major stop so far. All boats were far over our budget.

Don't hesitate to contact me via email at maijipo@gmail.com or at via this forum. Thx you.

Chris
maijipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 12:58   #2

Boat: Norseman 400
Re: Blue Water cruiser 35-40 WA State

For that price, you will not find ANYTHING in that length that is seaworthy and cruise ready. You need to up your price by $100,000. If you can't afford that, stay at your jobs until you can. Best of luck.
Sailor647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 15:24   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

I don’t want to start the argument on what criteria make up an offshore boat or what models would qualify, but I suggest you broaden your search to what some consider coastal cruisers. Seattle to Mexico does not require any passages longer than around 3 days so weather could easily be avoided. You say that you might go to the Med, well a lot of ‘production’ boats with fin keels and spade rudders go across the Atlantic every year.

I just sold my IOR era C&C 38 that has done a tour of the South Pacific, sailed the Atlantic and Caribbean and many journeys to Mexico and back for $25k all under various owners. That boat had a recent Yanmar, replaced rod rigging and mast rebuild, monitor wind vane, solar, solid deck/hull and clean interior. With another $10-15k you could have refreshed the canvas, electronics and safety gear and had a boat ready for cruising. Granted not as comfortable in a blow as the models you listed, but will get you there a bit faster.

I believe your budget would work for your plans, just widen your net. You could also look in the 32’-35’ range which seems to be a lot cheaper. Good luck with your search and plans; I’m boatless at the moment too and it’s driving me nuts.
Old 02-06-2020, 17:57   #4

Boat: Tartan 33

Indeed, we are still considering the IP32 (1990). It is definitively a boat suitable for offshore, quite roomy for two and in good condition. (except for the chainplate replacement that needs to be done. Really it is the only cost). At this point, we are at a price of 57k. (I did the survey)

I saw today a Pearson 40, but it is much bigger and at the same time no more habitable than the IP32. Probably a lot of things to do.

There are a few Beneteau 36 available also on that range but they tend to belong to charter companies.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199...eanis-3555351/

Also there is a First 35: https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...st-35-3594449/
maijipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 12:16   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

The P40 has always been one of my favorite designs, just too small for my family at the moment. Have you seen this one in Southern California?

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/boa...125654723.html
Old 03-06-2020, 12:18   #6

Boat: Mason 44

There are MANY possibilities for you. You may have to travel for them as boats up here in the PNW have a price premium. The price phenomenon is generally, the higher the market in terms of latitude, the higher the price. There are many places that are more known as buyer’s markets. Don’t be discouraged by someone telling to ‘stay at your job until you can afford something’ in THEIR arbitrary price regime. You’re job just became broadening your search horizon, doing lots of research and being patient enough to wait for the right situation. The real effects of this economic ‘disturbance’ may not be felt for another 6 months or so, that’s where patience might pay off.

I’m here in Anacortes with a 44’ cutter and would like to discuss things some things with you, utilizing my 30 or so years of studying sailboats and researching almost everything about them. I won’t attempt to pass myself off as an expert by any means, but my I have a few thoughts for you.

~Erich
SEA_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue water, cruise, cruiser, water