Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2019, 11:01   #31
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Any boat anywhere that needs to be loved and used

Okay Susie.. this is a great starter boat for you..
Designed by Van de Stadt and big enough to use as a live aboard if you dont mind a basic lifestyle.. they sail well and this looks in reasonable enough condition to sail home..
Theres another for sale in Crosshaven for around a grand less.
https://m.apolloduck.com/boat/offshore-8-metre/597693

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 09:26   #32

Boat: 40' Leopard
Re: Any boat anywhere that needs to be loved and used

Hi I have a lancer 28ft boat I will give you .It is a project boat and would be good for coastal sailing .It has a trailer actually a very good trailer. The boatneeds new carpet a new on out board hull is in good shape sails are tired. needs to be cleaned up .
Actually pretty fair boat
rancher44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 09:32   #33

Boat: 40' Leopard

Messed up typing. Boat need a new starter and batteries. probably need to be rewired but structually sound.
rancher44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 15:28   #34

Boat: Flicka 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Hm...Gentlemen: This has not been stated explicitly, but if we may assume that Susan lives, so far, with her parents, then those of you who are making specific suggestions should probably familiarize yourselves with the lie of the land. Arran ain't Bainbridge Island and it ain't New England. Nor is it the Solent.

Both the acquisition "problem" and the outfitting and maintenance "problem" are much more difficult if your domicile is Arran than it is if you live in, say, Gloucester, MA. or Romsey, Hants. As for boats on trailers - well, fine. But there ain't many vehicooles around Arran sufficiently heavy to tow a boat safely. And before committing to the purchase of a boat on a trailer, there might be wisdom in verifying that the cardeck on the Ardrossan-Brodic ferry has the clearance to take a boat on a trailer.

But beyond all that, I, for one, would not be keen on having a young daughter, a novice sailor, sculling around the Firth of Clyde and the Irish Sea, let alone the Hebrides, in anything smaller than 28 or 30 feet.

TP
There are many trailerable sailboats that are also Water boats">blue water boats. The Falmouth Cutter 22, Dana 24, NorSea 27, Contessa 26 and Flicka 20 are great examples. A quick look at bluewaterboats.org will revel more. All of the above boats are heavy cruisers and easy to handle single handed. One advantage of a trailerable boat is you don't have to pay slip or moorage fees in your home port if you don't want to, just load her up and take her home for repairs and storage.

In an earlier post I had mentioned a Allegra 24 that I had looked into. My intention wasn't to recommend that boat but to reinforce the notion that in dealing direct with the owner you can sometimes get a great deal.

I would not recommend any day-sailer for serious coastal or ocean work, but just because a boat can be transported on a trailer doesn't mean it isn't sea-kindly.

CaptainJohn49
CaptainJohn49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 15:45   #35

Boat: Volkscruiser

Captain John I agree, These guys made it to Iceland in a sailing dinghy. Not to mention Ellen MacArthur sailed around the UK in a 20’ Corribee.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...gerous-journey
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 16:43   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Captain John I agree, These guys made it to Iceland in a sailing dinghy.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...gerous-journey
Cheers
The trip to Iceland was a little more pleasant than the one to Norway.....

....even so, i doubt the suitability or practicality for 'Susie'

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 17:45   #37
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJohn49 View Post
There are many trailerable sailboats that are also blue water boats. The Falmouth Cutter 22, Dana 24, NorSea 27, Contessa 26 and Flicka 20 are great examples. A quick look at bluewaterboats.org will revel more.

I would not recommend any day-sailer for serious coastal or ocean work, but just because a boat can be transported on a trailer doesn't mean it isn't sea-kindly
Great suggestions on lots more here. Under 8.5' beam helps transporting without needing to apply for special permits
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ts-193354.html

Nor'sea is at the top of my list, but apparently hold their resale value far too well. 8-D
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2019, 16:20   #38

Boat: Atkins,Island Princess. 37ft

I have a classic boat for her, pm me
Maclir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2019, 06:52   #39

Boat: Admiral 31

How about this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Halcyon-2...r/123819637331
admiral 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2019, 06:56   #40

Dear Chris, Beth and Clan....we have a 34' Peterson for sale...please go to our website:
Magewind.com for more information....she is a lovely vessel and we would love to sell her to someone who will give her lots of love and adventure.
Thank you,

Debora and Steven Ulrich
debora.ruffe@me.com
Magewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2019, 07:29   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
Ownership is a good path to less money. Why not crew? “Pride of ownership” can be a real trap.
Seconded! Nearly 50 years ago, l was hitch-hiking through the SORC to get some offshore experience, having been a dinghy sailor in the midwest. I became friends with the professional aboard a custom Mull 58, a boat which I admired greatly, and I once told him I'd aim for getting a boat like it one day..

Whereupon he said "boats are built by rich fools, for poor wise men to enjoy."

Since then I have sailed over 10,000 miles, racing and cruising, on all Great Lakes, the Atlantic, the Pacific, the Mediterranean, and the Caribbean ... and have never owned a boat (well, the Laser doesn't really count).

This young woman has knowledge, experience, and enthusiasm. She will never lack for opportunity to sail every sea she sets her mind to. Besides, not owning a boat means she doesn't have to keep writing checks for the rest of her life.
A CheeseHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2019, 10:14   #42

Location: NZ but boat on slow circumnavigation currently in NW Spain
Boat: Oyster 435 45ft

Find a Contessa 26 or 32
capnigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2019, 10:41   #43

As a new boat owner, a piece of advice: becoming an owner is very cheap compared to remain one for 10 years. A boat eats 20% of her value a year in maintenance and cheap mooring costs. If you keep her in a marina, that may double. Even if you own a swing mooring, keeping that maintained will cost you.

Besides, it is highly unlikely that you'll get a recently refitted top condition boat just out of courtesy, likely you'll get something that nobody wants or can sell.

As a starter, just others above, I'd recommend crewing, even if she pays for 2 months a year to be crew on long distance commercial passages, she'll be better financially than running/fixing an old boat. Signing up on commercial trips will be a good opportunity to avoid "old goats hunting young girls" (crewbay&Co are full of "seeking female crew" BS) and learning how pros are doing things.
Old 26-07-2019, 11:21   #44

I can't remember the exact quote but it goes along the lines of, "If you're truly interested in something, you don't need to be taught." Of course one interpretation of that is that if you are keen, you will be interested and take the initiative without someone needing to thrust it upon you.

One question, perhaps rhetorical... why isn't Susie posting this question / research post / request? Chris/Beth, I see that you are trying to help her on her way, which is nice. For something this big, she's going to have to really take the lead and push through it if she's going to succeed... Perhaps she should be here making her case for what she wants.

As an aside, at 22, my parents wouldn't have even dreamed of stepping in to make this type of post on my behalf. I'm not sure if I'm envious that you would do this for her or if I think it is over protective. lol, I guess I'll find out in 18 years when my daughter is that age.
JordanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2019, 12:31   #45

Plenty of cheap boats round Gareloch. Speak to DRB at Rosneath. Cheapest storage on the Clyde (allegedly) and consequently have many abandoned boats.
Daangs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat