Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2019, 14:37   #1

43'-53' Cruising Sailboat

Looking for a cruising sailboat:
- 6'3" headroom a must
- shoal draft
- maximizes outdoor living space
- accommodates active lifestyle (water sports, storage, etc)

I live in the mid-Atlantic, but will travel anywhere on East coast/Caribbean

Beneteau OC45
Taswell All Season
...or similar to either.

Thanks.
Froggy Seas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 07:52   #2

Boat: Morgan 41 Classic
Re: 43'-53' Cruising Sailboat

Saw your post for "wanted to buy". We've got a 1988 Morgan 41 Classic that we are considering selling. This not an Out Island but is Catalina Yachts updated version with 5' draft, long fin keel and skeg rudder. This is a big 41 with lots of headroom and stowage - very comfortable underway and at anchor. Well outfitted for cruising with; North cruising sails in 2010, stack pack, new 44HP Beta in 2012 (790 hours), Vari-Prop feathering propeller, 200 water, 80 fuel, beefy 12V windlass and ground tackle, Monotor self steering vane, four man canister life raft, three 100 watt panels on stainless stern arch, Rutland wind generator (currently non-op), Victron battery monitor, 6 6-volt lead acid batteries (2016) for house plus separate engine GP27, 2000 watt inverter, LED cabin and nav lights, stainless transom davits, 9' AB aluminim RIB, two OB's - 5hp Johnson and 15hp Yamaha (both 2 strokes) with hoist tackle, Garmin plotter/radar/sounder in 2017, auto pilot, propane range, separate top-loading 12V frig and cold plate freezer, 10000 BTU AC in main salon, dodger and bimini with full enclosure, leather salon upholstery, new foam in aft cabin queen berth (11/19).
This boat performed a 22 month circumnavigation with her former in 2011-12. Bottom paint and hull/deck polish 11/19, the boat is clean, well maintained and ready for cruising. Currently dockside in Marathon FL.
Additional information and photos available upon request.
Jeff Gleckler
Jeff Gleckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 07:54   #3

Price?
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 15:44   #4

Boat: Morgan 41 Classic

Asking $59000. Boat is clean, well outfitted and ready to cruise. Lots of custom cabinetry throughout. Not your average 41 Classic. Jeff G
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180110_162825.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	428.0 KB
ID:	205652   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180110_163320.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	412.3 KB
ID:	205653  

Name:	20180110_163226.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	408.9 KB
ID:	205654   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180110_163812.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	415.1 KB
ID:	205655  

Jeff Gleckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 12:43   #5

Boat: Taswell 49

Hi Froggy Seas,
We are selling our Taswell 49. I believe it fits your criteria. 6'3" headroom throughout, shoal draft, plenty of storage.
check it out.
https://www.theyachtmarket.com/boats_for_sale/1807183/
George P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 02:22   #6

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy Seas View Post
- 6'3" headroom a must
- shoal draft
- maximizes outdoor living space
- accommodates active lifestyle (water sports, storage, etc)

I live in the mid-Atlantic, but will travel anywhere on East coast/Caribbean

Beneteau OC45
Taswell All Season
...or similar to either.

Thanks.
Hi Froggy Seas,

Not up for sale yet, but soon. A Kelley-Peterson 46, large cockpit, tall rig, new sails, new engine, new rigging, new deck. Certainly a capable ocean cruiser if you're interested.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 03:17   #7

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

I've got one I'm just sitting on waiting to list until the spring because I figured no one is looking right now. 50' mono. Everything works. Nice boat. Cutter rig, in mast furling, all Electric winches, all electric everything so it's really easy to sail. Does 8 knots under power, northern lights generator working great, brand new zincs, brand new Lifeline AGMs. She's due for bottom paint then just take off.

Cockpit enclosure. Sails all brand new too. Sails only used for 4 weeks last summer. Put them on fresh. Looking to move it fast at a reasonable $79k firm (no haggling even after survey, nothing major will show up on survey). Slip paid through April.

Here's a couple pics. All recently taken.

Will follow the standard purchase/sale agreement all the brokers do, but this is a private sale. I'm keeping my other boat instdad of this one because my girlfriend likes the catamaran better. I would have been happy to keep this one.

All set up for off grid, long term cruising based around the northern lights generator, solar and 200 gallons diesel, 350 gallons water. We cruised all last summer in her and it's effortless. New Vetus Bow thruster too.

Very smooth, easy ride sailing. Motion is steady and upright. Gets up to hull speed without heeling too much. Feels absolutely huge inside. Bright and airy deck salon layout. Changed this catamaran owner's idea of what a monohull can be in terms of comfort.

Everything is beefy, rock solid and overbuilt. Strong as can be. Only about 15 of them have been made.

I'll list her this spring to the general public. This is just a little pre public listing info.

Boat is very much in working cruising order and can be used today to start cruising.

Located: NYC

Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 04:44   #8

Boat: Amel 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy Seas View Post

Beneteau OC45
Taswell All Season
...or similar to either.

Thanks.
Well 45' is not so big for such purpose. I own O45 and consider changing for 50' or so.
Boat is OK but storage is not that impressive. As per my idea of long time crusing the boat should have space for dive compressor, all diving equipment, around 600 of diesel or more, storage for other things, food, etc. My BO45 has room but not easy accessible. Huge lockers at transom has no space to make shelves, diving compressor. Still there are steering lines auto pilot, and others and you need to have easy access to it so not very useful. when add generator and water maker less space is for jerry cans etc.
So round 50' with good plan of the cabins and storage is minimum for long time crusing. Still more expensive in marinas or ports so I would not exceed it too much.
Freshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 06:03   #9

Boat: Morgan 323

Chotu, that looks like a lot of boat for the money. Was it originally a cutter rig? That's your GS50, right? What's the draft on that model? And bridge clearance? Does that have the wrap around nav station? Sorry for all the questions, but those few photos were a tease.

[QUOTE=Chotu;3048450]I've got one I'm just sitting on waiting to list until the spring because I figured no one is looking right now. 50' mono. Everything works. Nice boat. Cutter rig, in mast furling, all Electric winches, all electric everything so it's really easy to sail. Does 8 knots under power, northern lights generator working great, brand new zincs, brand new Lifeline AGMs. She's due for bottom paint then just take off.
GerryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 06:43   #10

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

[QUOTE=GerryL;3048505]Chotu, that looks like a lot of boat for the money. Was it originally a cutter rig? That's your GS50, right? What's the draft on that model? And bridge clearance? Does that have the wrap around nav station? Sorry for all the questions, but those few photos were a tease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I've got one I'm just sitting on waiting to list until the spring because I figured no one is looking right now. 50' mono. Everything works. Nice boat. Cutter rig, in mast furling, all Electric winches, all electric everything so it's really easy to sail. Does 8 knots under power, northern lights generator working great, brand new zincs, brand new Lifeline AGMs. She's due for bottom paint then just take off.
Thanks! Yes, that's the GS50. She's an absolutely fantastic boat. I truly preferred keeping her over the Catamaran because I didn't want to spend a couple years of my life working on a boat. I wanted to "go now." However, in an advice thread here, it was suggested to make the girlfriend happy so I'm not sailing solo. That's why she's up for sale.

As to price, I really prefer a no haggle "get it done" price from the start so I'm not going to set it high to haggle or try to be greedy. The philosophy is to just offer her at a price she'll sell at and be done.

I believe she was originally a cutter, yes. Everything looks original in terms of the placement, support and attachment of the inner stay.

5'5" draft. Bridge clearance is escaping me. I apologize. I'll have to double check.

The nav station is not wrap around. It's an L shape. Attached a pic. Lifeline AGMs under the nav station prior to install.

PM me if you'd like to get a jump on this one before it's listed publicly.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3CBA0FD4-55B4-4E5A-A5BE-4853E350BB2C.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	433.5 KB
ID:	206174  
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 06:45   #11

Boat: Catana, BALI 4.3, 42

Gerry, Are you interested in a great live aboard and sailing catamaran?
https://sites.google.com/view/y-knot/
dvop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 02:42   #12

[QUOTE=
Thanks! Yes, that's the GS50. She's an absolutely fantastic boat. I truly preferred keeping her over the Catamaran because I didn't want to spend a couple years of my life working on a boat. I wanted to "go now." However, in an advice thread here, it was suggested to make the girlfriend happy so I'm not sailing solo. That's why she's up for sale.
[/QUOTE]

Very nice, thanks for the additional photo and information. Looks like a ham radio too. Interesting boats, I really wasn't familiar with them.
de KM1MT
Old 04-01-2020, 02:48   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvop View Post
Gerry, Are you interested in a great live aboard and sailing catamaran?
https://sites.google.com/view/y-knot/
Well that looks nice; the reality is that it's out of my reach if I want to keep enough funds for 20-30 more years of maintenance and living. LOL Thanks for pointing it out though. It's always nice to see what's out there.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:50   #14

Happy New Year to everyone and thanks for the replies.

The Morgan 41 looks great, but I’m really locking myself tonstaying above 43’. Really 45’, but saw a Taswell 43 that made me drop to that length.

The Taswell 49 is pretty - hits all my marks except the outdoor entertaining area.

Definitely not interested in a catamaran

The OC45 has great outdoor live ability but 100% agree no liveaboard storage unless you turn one stateroom into a storage locker.

Any more specs on the GS50 you could share.

Oh, and I am east coast US based, so looking for a boat anywhere on the eastern seaboard or in the Caribbean.

Thanks!
Froggy Seas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 08:10   #15

Boat: Nonsuch 30

You mention 43 to 53'. That is a hell of a big range in respects from (likely) price to (likely) displacement. I would be inclined to find a good buyer's broker who is going to be familiar with a wide variety of boats.

Tags
cruising, sailboat, sail, boat, cruising sailboat