Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2016, 07:15   #1

Boat: Bayfield 36 Cutter
36-42' Bluewater Cruiser

Hello everyone,

We are looking to buy a bluewater cruising sailboat (not a motorsailor) between 36-42' loa

We're not looking to take on project boats but fixer upper condition is fine (in other words Hull and deck has to be sound/solid, the rest is also important but we'll still consider depending on the size of the project)

No offense but I do not consider most of the Beneteau, Jeanneau, Bavaria, Hunter and C&C's (and some more builders and designs) as Water boats">blue water boats. What we are looking for is heavy displacement hulls with long or full keel ideally skeg rudder (for Long keels)

Our budget is between USD 10K-35K according to the boat's condition and equipment.

Our current home port is Toronto - Canada, Lake Ontario but I will be happy to travel for the right boat across Great Lakes and US East Coast.

Many thanks in advance for checking the posting.

Tafa
Tafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 10:22   #2
tms

Boat: 40' Jeanneau Sun Odyssey
Re: 36-42' Bluewater Cruiser

1976 Tartan 3737 Tartan 1976 Centerboard Sloop

41' Bounty II
tms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 18:38   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tafa View Post
Hello everyone,

We are looking to buy a bluewater cruising sailboat (not a motorsailor) between 36-42' loa

We're not looking to take on project boats but fixer upper condition is fine (in other words Hull and deck has to be sound/solid, the rest is also important but we'll still consider depending on the size of the project)

No offense but I do not consider most of the Beneteau, Jeanneau, Bavaria, Hunter and C&C's (and some more builders and designs) as blue water boats. What we are looking for is heavy displacement hulls with long or full keel ideally skeg rudder (for Long keels)

Our budget is between USD 10K-35K according to the boat's condition and equipment.

Our current home port is Toronto - Canada, Lake Ontario but I will be happy to travel for the right boat across Great Lakes and US East Coast.

Many thanks in advance for checking the posting.

Tafa
Wow would like to find a boat like that myself at those prices!
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 18:41   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40.1

I've been looking also. I think your budget decimal point is off one digit to the left.
KeepInTune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 19:00   #5

If you find one in decent shape for under $30-35K you can't go wrong.

MARINER 36 (CANNING) sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 19:15   #6
cruiser

Budget 10k-35k USD for a non-project, 36-42ft, well-equipped blue water cruiser?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0518.GIF
Views:	423
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	138539  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 19:19   #7
cruiser

Seriously. Increase your budget by 100%-150% and I'm sure you'll find something suitable like a Gulfstar in good condition.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 19:38   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Budget 10k-35k USD for a non-project, 36-42ft, well-equipped blue water cruiser?
I don't see the OP looking for a well-equipped vessel. Just for one with good bones to add on to if needed. Plenty of those around if one knows what to look for or what to avoid. The biggest issue is the buyer's ability to distinguish a major lemon/dud from a diamond in the rough. My marine pro friend once found a dusty diamond just like that for $7K. A former solidly built early 1980s 45'+ racer by a well known and respected NA which was donated and been on the hard for a while. It needed a new engine (he marinized a brand new tractor Yanmar which he picked up for under $10K) and a set of sails (which he got used for a few grand) and the usual this and that and he has been living and cruising on it for the past 12+ years. His total investment to float the vessel and bring it to "blue water shape", incl. the purchase price, was well under $25K, excluding his sweat equity and about 2-3 months of his time.
Old 27-12-2016, 21:06   #9

Here are a couple just outside your budget, and one within it. Good luck.

1990 Freedom 35
1990 Freedom 35 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

1983 Niagara 35
1983 Niagara 35 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

1982 Ohlson 35 MKIII
1982 Ohlson 35 MKIII Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
kalbahnov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 22:49   #10

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1970...s#.WGNezoE77YU

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1980...s#.WGNfaoE77YU

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1988...s#.WGNf5IE77YU
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 23:26   #11

You have a good shot with a budget of $45-$90k.
Why people think they can buy quality, well maintained non-project boats or Benehuntalina's plus offshore upgrading for garage sale prices is beyond me.

Not full keel, but built for offshore racing and quick or long term cruising. $84k obo.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=173566

43' Doug Peterson/US built Bluewater Performance Cruiser
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 05:00   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorcherry View Post
You have a good shot with a budget of $45-$90k.
Why people think they can buy quality, well maintained non-project boats or Benehuntalina's plus offshore upgrading for garage sale prices is beyond me.

Not full keel, but built for offshore racing and quick or long term cruising. $84k obo.
For Sale: 43' Doug Peterson/US built Bluewater Performance Cruiser - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

43' Doug Peterson/US built Bluewater Performance Cruiser
May be because those deals are out there? I few years back an acquaintance bought Niagara 35 in decent shape for $12K from a family of a deceased owner. He did some work to it (rebuilt v-drive) and some improvements - stern arch, add'l sails, stern ladder, etc. Then due to a family/financial situation he had to sell it quick. A couple who was looking for a boat to take to Europe bought it for just under $20K, down from $29K asking price, and a month later left for their European destination. I was on that boat a few months after my buddy purchased it and while it was not in perfect Bristol shape it seemed to handle Gulfstream chop well and felt solid otherwise.
Old 28-12-2016, 06:12   #13

WOW.....

Thank you for the warm welcome guys.... Honestly, I was expecting some sarcastic replies but not this much......

And Thanks to everyone who took my post seriously and respond seriously.

It's all about being at the right place at the right time I believe.... In the last 3 months, I saw 5 different boats within my range and the deals didn't go through for different reasons.... (i.e. A handsome Hughes 38 has been sold for $11K and I was about 1 day late)

So, I know it is possible...... I've posted this, just to reach out more people and find out if someone they know has a boat within my range. (Your uncle, neighbor, friend from the club etc)

Thank you guys so much,

Cheers,

Tafa
Old 28-12-2016, 06:17   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Especially appreciate this one.... Very helpful and encouraging.

Thanks
Old 28-12-2016, 06:37   #15

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tafa View Post
WOW.....

Thank you for the warm welcome guys.... Honestly, I was expecting some sarcastic replies but not this much......

And Thanks to everyone who took my post seriously and respond seriously.

It's all about being at the right place at the right time I believe.... In the last 3 months, I saw 5 different boats within my range and the deals didn't go through for different reasons.... (i.e. A handsome Hughes 38 has been sold for $11K and I was about 1 day late)

So, I know it is possible...... I've posted this, just to reach out more people and find out if someone they know has a boat within my range. (Your uncle, neighbor, friend from the club etc)

Thank you guys so much,

Cheers,

Tafa
Not sure I would want to take a Hughes 38 too far, handsome or not. I think you need to increase your budget or decrease your desired size.

Tags
Bluewater, cruise, cruiser, water