Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2019, 13:22   #91

Boat: Nicholson 32 Mk X
Re: 32-36 ft full keel boat for Golden Globe Race

https://www.worldrecordacademy.org/t...curphey-219207
straightman21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 13:31   #92

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

Prawn Curry? I surprised he made it anywhere being obviously crazy. I take that back, my wife just informed that some people like curry. Who knew?
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 04:31   #93

Boat: 1973 Contest 31

Gaurav, I'm assuming you know about this - pretty turn-key option.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/197...nced%20listing
rmcnabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 17:01   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcnabb View Post
Gaurav, I'm assuming you know about this - pretty turn-key option.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/197...nced%20listing
I think we have all decided not to buy his boat so he is forced to enter the next race. Last I know he is about to reach France back with the boat anytime.
gauravshinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 17:27   #95

Boat: 1973 Contest 31

That's funny.

There is a good Cape Dory 36 at a good price here:

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...nced%20listing
rmcnabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 18:01   #96

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravshinde View Post
Hi all,

I have entered the 2022 Golden Globe Race. I am looking for 32-36 ft full keel boat with these specifications:
  • Of fibre reinforced plastic construction.
  • Designed prior to 1988 and have a minimum series of 20 yachts built from one mould.
  • Have a hull length of between 32ft and 36ft. Bowsprits, wind vanes and outboard rudders, boomkins, pushpits and pulpits are not measured.
  • Have full-length keels with rudders attached to the trailing edge.
  • A minimum design displacement is 6,200kg.

The preapproved design list is:

Westsail 32 • Tradewind 35 • Saga 34 • Saltram 36 • Vancouver 32 & 34 • OE 32 • Eric (sister ship to Suhaili) • Aries 32 • Baba 35 • Biscay 36 • Bowman 36 • Cape Dory 36 • Nicholson 32 MKX-XI • Rustler 36, Endurance 35, Gaia 36, Hans Christian 33T, Tashiba 36, Cabo Rico 34, Hinckley Pilot 35, Lello 34, Gale Force 34.

I have already been speaking with a few owners right now and I waiting on a reply on few offers.

I live in Ontario, would prefer boats located around the Great Lakes area.
Also would prefer project boats since the boat will have to go through a significant refit to be ready for the race.

If there are any leads please email: gaurav@gauravshinde.com
GULF 32
Westsail 32
Morgan OI 33
Hans Christian 33
Hinkley PILOT 35 Ywl
Morgan OI 36
Allied Princess 36
Cape George 36

Based on PHRF the CapeGeorge is your best bet. The Hinkley is second.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 21:32   #97
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Quote:
Excel sheet full of ratios has been my life for quite some time. Tried sailing on a few of those.

I would rank Saga 36- Biscay- CD36 - Rustler.
But then Rustlers finished so that is a consideration.

Finally, I am still attracted to the Westsail 32- Abhilash was in no.3 and closing on Mark Slats before getting dismasted. Not sure how that would have played out in the Atlantic going back north.
But Westsail is basically an Eric 32 so that is getting as close to RKJ's Suhaili as possible- or I convert the W32 to a ketch and make it a Suhaili replica just because Suhaili was made in my hometown and my first boat was made in the same yard as Suhaili.

Lots of decisions to be made. But I would like a faster, more balanced boat. Also I am on a budget so I will take whichever boat comes in good condition + good price
I've got more than 10,000 miles in W32. Boats are fast on a reach in trade wind conditions. They do take a bit of wind to sail to their optimum but those conditions are usually found in the areas that this race will frequent. We had a number of days with 175nm runs in the trades. The boats are not surfers but had a number of 150 nmpd runs DDW with the Yankee poled out. We had a limited sail budget. Main, staysail, Yankee and reacher/Drifter off my previous boat with no roller furling. Would've been nice to have had a larger jib that we could furl down for windier conditions. As it was, could carry the Yankee with winds into the 20's on a reach. The boat needs the slot between the two headsails to sail at it's best. When I had to strike the Yankee boat speed was cut by a knot or more. Roller furling would make it easy to vary the size of the jib. Would have a loose footed staysail cut to the maximum size that would fit. Tried an overlapping staysail which really helped lighter air performance to weather. Unfortunately the sheet fouled the fwd lower shroud when eased. Didn't have the energy to do the rigging mod's to add a baby stay and ditch the fwd lowers so left it at home.

Modify the bowsprit cranse iron so you can fly a code zero and that will go a long way to erasing the light air deficit that all that wetted area makes. One thing they won't do is go hard on the wind in very light air with chop. The bluff bows just plow into the waves and stop forward progress. With enough wind it's not that big a thing and cracking off a bit solves the problem. We had to beat into 10k winds and lumpy seas for 5 days to lay the Marquesas and managed to average 5k through the water. Sometime after hull #163 Westsail went to cast lead ballast which should help tame the hobby horse tendency in short steep seas by concentrating the ballast.

Had an Aries Vane and it steered the boat perfectly in every condition we encountered. If the boat would move under sail, the Aries was driving. If you are going to have an Asym or other large headsail, a way to connect an autopilot to the self steering would be a plus for DDW work. DDW is the worst point of sail for a vane as the boat can sail out from under the relative wind leaving the vane clueless as to wind direction.

Didn't pick up on the discussion about changing the mast. If that is in relation to the Cape George 36 wouldn't be a great concern other than maintenance. Wooden sticks are reputed more tolerant of rigging mishaps than aluminum. One of the reasons that Cecil Lange went with that hull form is that it sailed well in the light air conditions of the PNW. The boat has a finer entry and less beam than the Eric/W32 so should go to weather better. It also has a long 31.5' water line. Would verify what they used for ballast. Concentrated ballast is way better for motion and sailing ability and lead can allow the most centered location of ballast.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 08:26   #98

Update

I got a tremendous amount of support and replies from this post and the people on this forum have been very kind to me.

I found an amazing broker here who was ready to represent me at no cost. I will not name him here since I don't have permission to disclose but if you ever are looking for a broker in Canada who cares about you and the boat you are going to buy/sell, message me for his name and details.

I got great offers from folks who wouldn't sell their boats on the market but would only sell to me for the race. You guys are rockstars.

I finally decided on a boat I fell in love with at first sight. The owners and their stories of the boat just sold me entirely on the boat. The boat is a solid proven Bluewater boat. The previous owners are invested in my GGR campaign and there is nothing else I could ask for.

I cannot disclose more details as we are working out everything else right now. Once I'm done with the initial refit the announcement will come on my website Gauravshinde.com and my social media

I am very grateful for the support from all of you'll and the positive messages. I hope you follow the Golden Globe Race 2022 and it's competitors- we all have great stories and you all are part of mine now. Please follow the race even if you don't support me.

Thank you all.
Old 20-08-2019, 08:46   #99

Not telling us what boat you picked? That's not very nice.
Arthurwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 08:48   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurwg View Post
Not telling us what boat you picked? That's not very nice.

I know. I'm so sorry. I want traffic on my website

I sign on the dotted line when I travel to Load it up. The moment I sign pictures for everyone. And beers if you are in New York.
Old 20-08-2019, 20:54   #101

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Congratulations, that's really exciting. Good luck for the race!
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 21:12   #102

Boat: Hunter 40 Legend
Send a message via AIM to Capt.Tom

Quote:
I know. I'm so sorry. I want traffic on my website

I sign on the dotted line when I travel to Load it up. The moment I sign pictures for everyone. And beers if you are in New York.
So, we spent our free time advising you with free information to help you decide what boat to choose and you won't share with us the model you choose ?

I'm in NY City... is that where the boat is ?
Capt.Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 03:18   #103

Hmmmm... I haven't signed yet but who cares...

It's a Baba 35. I'll hold off posting pictures until its actually mine.

Logic behind the decision:
1. I trust the current owners. I have grown fond of them through our conversations and they care about the boat and are letting it go only because I'm doing the race. (Biggest reason- I feel they are invested in my campaign).
2. The boat is in fantastic shape (like most Ta Shing boats that have been looked after).
3. Long waterline and proven Bob Perry design with good upwind performance.
4. The boat was for sale and within my budget.
5. It's right in time for its 40 year refit- works best for me because I need to do it for the race anyway
6. Hull no:42 and it will be 42yrs old in 2022 (just a coincidence but who cares)

It will be a wet ride but I have plans. They are heaviest boat entered in the race right now but can also carry load better. I think the weight issue might matter only in the short legs of the atlantic but I've heard that they have very good light wind performance.

Haven't thought through projects on the boat and how to prep it for the race. I'll be signing up for Bob Perry's consultation services as soon as I'm ready and run everything by him before doing something extremely stupid on the boat. I believe it's his boat first, we just paid for it.

Thank you all again. I hope you follow me. If you have money sponsor me. If you have equipment send it to me!
Old 22-08-2019, 06:33   #104

Good choice. I had a Baba 30 back in the day. Loved it. My first question: What self steering device will you be using?
Arthurwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 07:15   #105

1st choice: Windpilot - More so from the experience of Abhilash and because all of his wind vane ss survived upright after rolling over.

2nd choice: Hydrovane - It provides the option for emergency rudder which is required in GGR rules.

Might try Aries out too before I take a final call.

Also depends on what steering system I stick with- original wheel or move to a tiller.

Tags
boat, keel, race