Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2019, 23:52   #31

Boat: C&C Landfall 38
Re: 32-36 ft full keel boat for Golden Globe Race

An Endurance 35 finished.......many are owner completed find one that was minimally fitted out and bobs your uncle.......a friend sailed his never finished endurance around the channels of southern Chile for years before he sold it.....it was a great single handed sailor...
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 00:09   #32

Another boat that would qualify and they are inexpensive and many are available is the Bayfield 32 and I think the Gozzard 31 is old enaugh......
Old 27-04-2019, 04:16   #33

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
Ha ha! Trouble is, there is only a tiny spectrum of boats I'd get enthusiastic about selling...I have a bad habit of telling people what I think of other types of boat.
Yeah, I guess giving your totally honest opinion would be a handicap for a salesman ……..
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 05:34   #34

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Well that sucks... apparently the Cape George 36 doesn't qualify since it wasn't built off a production deck mold. With a lot longer waterline, larger sail area, and huge load carrying capacity, I thought it would be the one challenger to the Rustler 36.

Best boat for the Golden Globe 2018? What 36ft pre-1988 design would y - Page 3 - Sailing Anarchy - Sailing Anarchy Forums Post# 234

Matt
Old 27-04-2019, 07:38   #35

Boat: Cape George Cutter

Cape George 36 for sale, new custom mast....
Wes
weshoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 08:41   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravshinde View Post
Thanks. They are lovely. If only I could find one for sale that does not have wooden spars. Its surely on my radar, I will keep an eye out.
I have a CGC 36, New Ballanger spar, boom and rigging. Used Cape Horn Wind vane, New Victron inverter and batteries, etc
I'd sell to someone doing this race, otherwise I'm going cruising this September. But it's a West Coast boat (San Francisco area)
Good Luck,
Wes

gwes@sonic.net
Old 27-04-2019, 09:07   #37

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdiver View Post
Another boat that would qualify and they are inexpensive and many are available is the Bayfield 32 and I think the Gozzard 31 is old enaugh......
No offence to Bayfield owners but the 32 is a slug. The Gozzard is at least prettier. It would be a shame to gut the lovely interior.
Old 27-04-2019, 09:09   #38

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravshinde View Post
Spoke to Don McIntyre. LOA is cut off at 36. Union 36 is 36.67

I was seriously impressed by the ratios and even found one in my budget but can't just cut off half a foot
A serous comment, could you cut off the extra 0.67? I think it would technically possible, no idea if the rules allow it.
Old 27-04-2019, 12:11   #39

I read the rules, must be pretty much stock interior.......the only boat I see that has many different interiors is the Endurance.......
Old 27-04-2019, 13:57   #40

Boat: Custom cutter, 42'

Adrian,
You're right that bigger sails are more work to handle. But there's also another side to the coin, which is that heavier boats will have an easier ride which translates to beating up the skipper less and being easier to work on.

Like everything on boats, its a compromise. Advantages in one area almost always have disadvantages in another. Finding a good set of compromises for a given mission statement is what makes boats interesting, I think.
Pauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 17:48   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
A serous comment, could you cut off the extra 0.67? I think it would technically possible, no idea if the rules allow it.
I'm trying to find the length on deck for the boat. If the .67 is after or before the bowsprit. The ratios on the union 36 are lovely so I'd have paid a bit more to get one for the race.
gauravshinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 18:02   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by weshoff View Post
I have a CGC 36, New Ballanger spar, boom and rigging. Used Cape Horn Wind vane, New Victron inverter and batteries, etc
I'd sell to someone doing this race, otherwise I'm going cruising this September.
As already pointed out, it doesn't qualify. Neither would the Gozzard 31 as it doesn't have a full keel.

Also, any word on rule changes as the ones on the site for the 2022 race seems to be a copy and paste of the 2018 rules as they have all the old dates mentioned. I think after some of the issues in the last race there should be some changes around accessing weather information at least. It would have helped avoid some of the carnage.
cj88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 18:12   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj88 View Post
As already pointed out, it doesn't qualify. Neither would the Gozzard 31 as it doesn't have a full keel.

Also, any word on rule changes as the ones on the site for the 2022 race seems to be a copy and paste of the 2018 rules as they have all the old dates mentioned. I think after some of the issues in the last race there should be some changes around accessing weather information at least. It would have helped avoid some of the carnage.

There are quite a few. These are a few I can remember at this moment

HAM receiving is allowed- no transmission. Only official forecasts are allowed. You could recieve more info on weather from a marine station but not a shore station. No routing.

Race start is Sept 4.

Permanent storage for spin poles on deck-since they are essential for jury rig. A couple lost theirs because they were on the mast during dismasting.

Trinidade is a compulsory mark and there's a film drop at cape Town.

You need to have two windows minimum. Can't remove all.

Foredeck hatches are compulsory.

Digital filming rules relaxed.
gauravshinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:24   #44

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Would also consider the Bristol 35.5, obvious bias here. not full keel, but close. LOA works (35.5 ft and LWL about 27ft), protected, hung rudder, built from about 1977 on, and displacement 15,000 lbs. I understand the pre-approved list of boats, but thought McIntyre left the option of submitting specs for other boats that would then be reviewed and a yes/no given. good luck in your adventure..
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 08:28   #45

The Cape George is built with a mold for the Hull only, the decks are built in the traditional (wood) boatbuilding style.

Tags
boat, keel, race