Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2019, 12:47   #16

Re: 32-36 ft full keel boat for Golden Globe Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsho View Post
Slightly biased (as an owner) don’t forget Union Polaris 36...
Spoke to Don McIntyre. LOA is cut off at 36. Union 36 is 36.67

I was seriously impressed by the ratios and even found one in my budget but can't just cut off half a foot
gauravshinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 12:49   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdiver View Post
Any boat you find, you will need to replace the spar.........just saying......
Yes. But it's hard to convince the seller that I am making a considerably lower offer because I am not going to use your spars anyway. And hence the preference for a project boat.
Old 26-04-2019, 13:08   #18

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

If I recall, the Cabo Rico 38 is not actually 38 feet long...is this still too big?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details...dId=1422534051

Located in Toronto, and a nice price too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$_59.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	190831  
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 13:21   #19

Boat: Buchan 37, Windward Mark + MiniTransat 6,50 Antidote

The preapproved design list is:

Westsail 32 • Tradewind 35 • Saga 34 • Saltram 36 • Vancouver 32 & 34 • OE 32 • Eric (sister ship to Suhaili) • Aries 32 • Baba 35 • Biscay 36 • Bowman 36 • Cape Dory 36 • Nicholson 32 MKX-XI • Rustler 36, Endurance 35, Gaia 36, Hans Christian 33T, Tashiba 36, Cabo Rico 34, Hinckley Pilot 35, Lello 34, Gale Force 34.

Have you ranked these designs by displacement? I think well over 50% of these boats are too heavy to be competitive.
Adrian NAMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 13:22   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
Is it just me, or does the possibility that some entrants will simply order a “race-spec” new Rustler 36 somehow defeat the point of the GGR? I appreciate there’s a separate class for the replicas, but this sounds like another separate class to me...
I would like to believe that there is a sort of a gentleman's agreement amongst the skippers that such a thing does not happen. Apart from that most interior has to remain similar to the original design. Only the chart table can be removed completely. Rest all have to be there.

from the NOR:
"Ballast must be original design specifications. All underwater profiles to be as original specifications from the moulds. No modification of rudder or keel shapes or prop apertures etc allowed. Refit must stay true to the original design and structural components may not be lightened. Strengthening is allowed, together with extra standing rigging and deck gear. The design layout and interior fit-out must remain substantially the same as originally drawn, but minor interior modifications are allowed, and the table may be removed. Any propeller is allowed but must make original design speed.
Watertight Bulkheads are encouraged, special dispensations may be given (toilets may be removed) in relation to their fitting within the production boat fit out on a case by case basis. Upholstery may be removed. Headliners, locker doors, head doors must remain."
Old 26-04-2019, 13:24   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
If I recall, the Cabo Rico 38 is not actually 38 feet long...is this still too big?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details...dId=1422534051

Located in Toronto, and a nice price too.
I had seen it too but LOA is 38ft: https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/cabo-rico-38
Old 26-04-2019, 13:26   #22

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian NAMT View Post

Have you ranked these designs by displacement? I think well over 50% of these boats are too heavy to be competitive.
This is a race of endurance. A long race. The best chance of winning is simply being able to finish.

Like Jessica Watson vs Abby Sunderland. Abby's boat was WAY faster.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 13:32   #23
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: 32-36 ft full keel boat for Golden Globe Race

Or, lying second when the first place holder goes Fruit Loops and goes around again..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 13:33   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian NAMT View Post
The preapproved design list is:

Westsail 32 • Tradewind 35 • Saga 34 • Saltram 36 • Vancouver 32 & 34 • OE 32 • Eric (sister ship to Suhaili) • Aries 32 • Baba 35 • Biscay 36 • Bowman 36 • Cape Dory 36 • Nicholson 32 MKX-XI • Rustler 36, Endurance 35, Gaia 36, Hans Christian 33T, Tashiba 36, Cabo Rico 34, Hinckley Pilot 35, Lello 34, Gale Force 34.

Excel sheet full of ratios has been my life for quite some time. Tried sailing on a few of those.

I would rank Saga 36- Biscay- CD36 - Rustler.
But then Rustlers finished so that is a consideration.

Finally, I am still attracted to the Westsail 32- Abhilash was in no.3 and closing on Mark Slats before getting dismasted. Not sure how that would have played out in the Atlantic going back north.
But Westsail is basically an Eric 32 so that is getting as close to RKJ's Suhaili as possible- or I convert the W32 to a ketch and make it a Suhaili replica just because Suhaili was made in my hometown and my first boat was made in the same yard as Suhaili.

Lots of decisions to be made. But I would like a faster, more balanced boat. Also I am on a budget so I will take whichever boat comes in good condition + good price
Old 26-04-2019, 13:35   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
This is a race of endurance. A long race. The best chance of winning is simply being able to finish.

Like Jessica Watson vs Abby Sunderland. Abby's boat was WAY faster.

There is a problem with your logic here. "The best chance of winning is simply being able to finish". No. The only chance of winning is to have the fastest boat to finish.

I understand that finishing can be an entrant's goal. So entrants can achieve their goal and think of themselves as a winner. The MiniTransat is an excellent example of that.

The heaviest boats do not guarantee you finish. The Westsail 32 would be entered in every long distance race if that was true.

The lighter boats will be faster than heavier boats and no less likely to finish.
Old 26-04-2019, 15:25   #26

Boat: Custom cutter, 42'

Regarding boat speed/displacement. None of these boats will be able to plane in normal conditions. In displacement mode the sail area/displacement ratio is a better predictor of boat speed than just displacement. Heavy boats can sail fast, they just need more sail than light boats to do so.
Pauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 18:16   #27

Boat: Baba 40

There’s a Westsail 32 in Deltaville, Va for sale. Lots of upgrades. Check Yachtworld.
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 18:20   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Wow, he could not lose........a round the world race singlehanded!?

You ever consider selling sailboats for a living? With lines like the above you might be totally rich by now!!

Give up the writing career, get a suit, tie, and a nice used car salesman smile and you'll be rich!
Ha ha! Trouble is, there is only a tiny spectrum of boats I'd get enthusiastic about selling...I have a bad habit of telling people what I think of other types of boat.
Old 26-04-2019, 19:35   #29

Buy it ship it ----wont be lots as its narrow then new rig and special interior for race -cant go wrong!
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 20:58   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauls View Post
Regarding boat speed/displacement. None of these boats will be able to plane in normal conditions. In displacement mode the sail area/displacement ratio is a better predictor of boat speed than just displacement. Heavy boats can sail fast, they just need more sail than light boats to do so.
I agree with you re heavy boats being capable of sailing fast with more sail area than is required for lighter boats. That may be OK for cruising.

In the Golden Globe I think you can have as many as 10 or 11 sails. So the heavier boat will have even more weight & the struggle to carry them, hank them on, change them, repair them is another incremental demand on the heavy boat's skipper.

There is no roller furling in the GG and every small disadvantage in sail handling can detract from the likelihood of beating the lighter boat powered by more manageable sail area and lower weight.

I am not sure but I would guess that the greater the displacement the greater the likelihood that the wind vane steering gear will have to work harder and may be slower to make corrections in some wind and sea conditions.

Tags
boat, keel, race