Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2019, 04:38   #16
FTS

Boat: Catalina 25
Re: 25' to 27' sailboat

Southern Comfort does have her high points. As I said the fibreglass above the waterline is above average for her age, the standing rigging appears to be in fair condition and the mast looked straight with no dings.

I've been back and forth with a couple of people familiar with the Catalina 25, and from what I've learned I think fabricating a bulkhead and swapping it is doable.

My assessment is having a shed to work on her would be a huge advantage. Unfortunately I don't have one of those.
FTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 04:55   #17

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS View Post
Southern Comfort does have her high points. As I said the fibreglass above the waterline is above average for her age, the standing rigging appears to be in fair condition and the mast looked straight with no dings.

I've been back and forth with a couple of people familiar with the Catalina 25, and from what I've learned I think fabricating a bulkhead and swapping it is doable.

My assessment is having a shed to work on her would be a huge advantage. Unfortunately I don't have one of those.
Nice but the Cape Dory 25 is ready to go and you can buy a new 25" extra long shaft outboard for it and still only have about $2,000 in it.

I use a Mercury 4 stroke 5hp 25" extra long shaft on my boat which is a couple 1000lbs heavier. The Mercury has the integral tank which makes it nice you are using the motor just to get away from the dock. (no need to hook up the external)

Depending on which boat you like that is. The Catalina will be faster

https://richmond.craigslist.org/boa/...901044574.html
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:15   #18

https://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...&&ywo=bayview&
SqPeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 09:38   #19

Loved this one, but unfortunately he sold it the other day. Thank you so much for the recommendation though.
Futuresailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 16:40   #20

How about this 1979 Cape Dory 25?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0098a.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	195720   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0103a.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	195721  

Name:	DSC_0104a.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	195722   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0101a.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	195723  

Name:	DSC_0105.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	195724   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0107a.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	195725  

SqPeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 19:15   #21

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I'm in Canada, on the north shore of Lake Ontario. There is a huge surplus of old boats for sale right now, many with give-away prices. And all in Canadian dollars. I understand this is likely too far away. Some real bargains though. Here's a few from just a quick search on kijiji:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/kin...ationFlag=true

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/lon...ationFlag=true

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/thu...ationFlag=true

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/cit...ationFlag=true

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/win...ationFlag=true

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/nor...ationFlag=true

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/bel...ationFlag=true
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 19:21   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SqPeg View Post
How about this 1979 Cape Dory 25?
Link?
Futuresailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2019, 10:21   #23

Future:

Do not be put off by the "pros and cons" that inevitably and inexorable follows a first posts such as yours. Just be realistic about what you are doing. Perhaps the following will help. I'm predicating it on the Watkins that someone referred to, but it applies to pretty much any entry level boat. Be realistic. Think your plan through ON YOUR OWN. Take what you are told in brief e-mails on HolyMotherNet (including this one) with huge doses of salt!

Two grand is fine as an entry fee. For that amount you will NOT find, in your words "anything too nice". But that doesn't matter. Two grand is hardly any more than the price of two tickets to a serious pop-concert, so just consider it the ticket price and forget about it. The hull will float. That's all you need for now.

It's only a baby boat. There are no complicated systems and that is GOOD. There shouldn't BE complicated systems in an entry-level boat. It should be innocent of new-fangled doo-dads of any kind. This particular one (the Watkins) has been injured by having wheel steering installed rather than being tiller-steered, but if the boat has a mainsail and a jib that aren't quite torn to rags, you'll be on your way.

A good cleaning and scrubbing, and you and your sleeping bags can move in and live aboard. It'll be like camping, but what else can you expect for two grand what with camping fees in national parks being fifty buxanight?

You now have a choice: If you want to live aboard you pretty much have to do so in one of the marinas that will even ACCEPT live-aboarders. That'll cost you, say, $250/month in moorage fees. Plus about a grand a year in mandatory insurance. Consider that cheap storage for the boat, and the accommodation it affords being "free" rent thrown in. If you're gonna live ashore, you have the choice of paying the moorage at the marina, or buying a trailer that will carry the boat, and parking it in your driveway. IF you own the property, or if your landlord will let you. The trailer will cost four or five grand, and best you have a 250-series pick-up truck to haul it with. You'll need a vehicle that heavy to stay within the law.

If you are in a marina, and the engine doesn't work, you'll need to hang an outboard on the transom, both because the marina moorage contract will require that the boat be mobile under her own power, and because you have no boat handling experience to tell you how to SAIL the boat in and out of the marina. So you'll need another grand to take care of that. To replace an eight or ten HP inboard in a boat like the Watkins with an new engine right outta the box will set you back 10 or 12 grand. A used replacement installed will be about 6 boatbux.

So you see where this is going :-)

You will be far better off if you can afford 15 grand rather than two, or if you have the patience to wait while you earn the increment. For 15 Grand you'll find a 30 footer ready to go, and when you've gathered a bit of experience you will appreciate that a 30-footer has HUGE accommodations compared with a 24 footer. Take it from me that a 30-footer is in many respects easier to sail than a 24 footer. In a 30-footer, a geezer like me can live comfortably with his wife for months at a time. Young people like you can live in a 30-footer permanently.

In many ways 30 feet is the "sweet spot". 30-footers are big enuff to do what most people need done. They don't bust the budget, and they are relatively easy to dispose of when that time comes. PROVIDED you understand that no man should put more money into a boat - acquisition, maintenance and "upgrade" - than he can afford to walk away from still with a smile on his face.

Once you've learned boathandling by muckin' about in the ICW you can begin to learn about being a skipper. That takes a lifetime. But if you are perceptive you can learn in, say five years, the essentials, the minimums of what you must know to be safe, if your intention is to take a boat - not a Watkins - out "where the scattered waters rave and the winds their revels keep"

Oh- one last thing: "going anywhere in the states for a good boat" is NOT sound policy. Overland transport to bring 'er "home" can cost tens of thousands of dollars. SAILING her home is NOT a safe option for people of no experience. The distances are far too long to tackle at a speed of five knots (6 MPH) and many of the coasts are far, far too dangerous for novices.

All the best

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2019, 11:40   #24

Boat: Bristol 27

They shouldn't need to travel far to find a decent 25'- 27' sailboat along the East Coast just below Maryland.

Following the advice on sites like Atom Voyages can provide much help toward buying a decent well made boat

https://atomvoyages.com/planning/goo...oats-list.html

I paid $2,000 for my boat 8 years ago and have slowly fixed it up while sailing it the entire time. It can be called a beginner boat or a cruising boat it all depends on the owner. It's my 12th beginner boat I guess.

I have painted the entire boat practically, replaced the main sail with a new one, added solar and controllers, replaced the ancient diesel with a new outboard, replaced the autopilot, dodger, mainsail cover, replaced a broken tiller, replaced the outboard bracket, running rigging, and added an inverter and a 12 volt fan plus a 120 v ac fan, and so on
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2011.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	195943   Click image for larger version

Name:	20111.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	195944  

Name:	DSC00195.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	431.3 KB
ID:	195946   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00211.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	444.8 KB
ID:	195947  

Name:	DSC00223.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	439.5 KB
ID:	195948  
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2019, 11:32   #25

Boat: 1964 Tylercraft 24/ 1977 Columbia 8.3

I have a 1980 Cape Dory 27 i'll give you. Its located at Camp leJeune, NC. Needs work. Main sail needs replaced but I have the old one. The main sheet torn into and is tangled in the rigging due to hurricanes this last year. The Yanmar diesel engine hasn't ran for at least 7 years. sailor4you at hotmail.com if you are interested. My wife passed last July and I turned 73 years young in June. I don't have time or funds to work on this boat. Also I live 3 1/2 hours drive from where it is located.
sailor4you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2019, 11:57   #26

Boat: a sailing boat

Walk the nearest marinas read the signs. Many owners who ask 6k will accept 3k.

Good luck!
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat