Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2023, 14:56   #1

1998 Ocean Alexander 440, Green Bay

This aft cabin, sundeck with cockpit boat is currently in heated storage at the very back of the building. It won't be emerging until Spring. We reside in Texas for the majority of the year. I have unanticipated health issues and both my wife, and I are getting on in years. We will be in Green Bay around May 1, 2023 to move our things off the boat. Mid-May is the perfect time to view the boat and conduct a pre-launch survey. We will likely not splash the boat until we have a buyer. After the month of May, you will be in the hands of the broker. PM me if you want to take advantage of our 17 years of ownership. (You will note that the price was lowered $25,000 to $159,900 at the end of March. We want it sold).

Click image for larger version

Name:	ext27 (2).jpg
Views:	168
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	273623

Name:	DSCN1143.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	427.8 KB
ID:	273624

Boat History. This is hull number 22 of an estimated 90 boats in the 44' OA series. It was imported by Irwin Yachts of Portland and initially used as the family boat and a demonstrator model. All available upgrades at the time (larger diameter SS handrails, for example) are installed. I spoke with Jim Irwin's son who recalls a couple of trips to the San Juans as a boy. Irwin eventually sold the boat to an owner in Seattle who kept it on Lake Washington (fresh water). It changed hands one other time before the fourth owner purchased it in about 2002. He had it trucked to Lake Travis outside Austin, Texas where he used it primarily as a dock condo in a covered marina. The air conditioning units were installed at that time. We purchased the boat in 2004 and had it trucked to Green Bay. The fly bridge was purposely NOT removed for either overland relocation. To my knowledge this is the last 440 remaining on the Great Lakes, and one of a handful east of the Mississippi. It has been a freshwater boat most of its life (and inside a heated storage building for half its life). Think about that.... It is not a clapped out, high hour veteran of the Great Loop.

General Mechanical Specification. 44' on deck length. 47' OAL. Beam 14'2". 3.5' draft. 300 gallons fuel. 150 gallons fresh water. 60 gallons black water (2 holding tanks). Engines Detroit 8.2 (1530 hours). Genset Onan 8KW (656.2 hours). Fresh Rotella T6 oil/filters on all three engines. All engines start and run perfectly.

Hull: Efficient Ed Monk designed semi-displacement hull. Epoxy barrier coat in 2005. Bottom paint is excellent. New aluminum anodes throughout (September 2022). New cutless bearings and stuffing box tubes 2006. Props trued and balanced 2007.

Gelcoat is excellent. Diamond non-skid on fore deck painted with Interlux Perfection a few years ago. Windscreen glass rebedded and all metal frames refinished. NO leaks. Venturi acrylic on flybridge replaced with UV treated Lexan. Interlux Perfection Plus on cockpit cap rail. New tracks and rollers for both sliding cabin doors. Burmese Golden Teak Interior is unmolested and arguably the best of any 440 in existence.

Electronics. Radar, auto pilot, 2 GPS units, 2 VHF, portable VHF, depth finder. Basic, but 100% functional.

Miscellaneous. Upgrades, replacements and maintenance events are endless (and recorded). Here's a partial list....new flybridge and interior upholstery (2010 time frame), new bimini, custom mattresses, all new faucets, black water hoses converted to solid PVC pipe. Fresh water flush heads. No odors on this boat. Battery banks converted to dedicated house/ start configuration. Manuals for every item on the boat including original Ocean Alexander manuals.

Spares: Engine and MG 502 transmission plus a complete overhaul kit for Detroit 8.2 (in Texas). Spares on the boat include starter, alternator, fresh water engine pump, raw water pump, engine fuel pump, hydraulic prop puller. Complete tool complement for setting Detroit 8.2 injectors....much more

Nick Jackson Davit. Avon dink with Suzuki 15 four stroke (miniscule operating hours).

Truly a turn-key boat that's ready to cruise (or use as a very comfortable dock condo). Best of all configurations in our opinion.
Fagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 17:13   #2

Re: 1989 Ocean Alexander 440, Green Bay

...more photos. This boat has been continuously updated inside and out during our ownership.

PS : I made a typo in the original post and can't figure how to fix it. The boat is a 1989, not a 1998!

Name:	interior7 (6).jpg
Views:	137
Size:	437.9 KB
ID:	273630

Name:	port fwd sln.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	440.2 KB
ID:	273631

Name:	Fwd cabin, updated upholstery.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	435.8 KB
ID:	273632

Name:	<a title=Salon 1, upholstery updated.jpg Views: 124 Size: 438.3 KB ID: 273633" style="margin: 2px" />
Old 03-04-2023, 00:10   #3

Re: 1998 Ocean Alexander 440, Green Bay

Looks nice and seems fairly priced. As a suggestion, you may want to list on TrawlerForum too.
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 02:46   #4

Boat: Volkscruiser

Fagin I surveyed an Ocean Alexander 49 in Queensland Australia today. Nice boat and well built.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 03:57   #5

Re: 1989 Ocean Alexander 440, Green Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Looks nice and seems fairly priced. As a suggestion, you may want to list on TrawlerForum too.
Thanks. It's listed on Trawler Forum and all the usual brokerage sites with many more photos.
Old 07-04-2023, 14:09   #6

Again, if you're looking for a spacious diesel cruiser or live-aboard with spectacular inside and outside spaces, this is the boat. Get up out of the bugs on the elevated sundeck. check out the easy and safe boarding via the swim platform and aft cockpit, take a gander at the upper and lower helms for any weather condition. Seaworthy and efficient semi-displacement hull by well-known OA designer Ed Monk Jr. Small HP diesels. Superb condition throughout for a 1989 boat.

If the Loop is on your agenda, you'll be right in the middle of the best part....the glorious northern Great Lakes. (I sound like a freakin' salesman). But seriously, take a look at this boat...do it in May when we're in Green Bay and can show you our baby and the town. PM me. See you then...
Old 10-05-2023, 08:14   #7

The boat is off-loaded and clean as a whistle inside and out. I just finished installing new raw water pump impellors, cleaning sea strainers, changing the four fuel filters, replacing engine belts. Engine and transmission oil/filters were changed last Fall. The boat is ready to go as soon as the stack of boats in the building is cleared (about two weeks by my reckoning...cavernous, well lighted building). Come see it now and I'll give you a comprehensive out-water-tour that you can't get from a broker. We're looking for offers...PM me for our phone number or just to ask questions. Thanks, Eric
Old 19-05-2023, 13:59   #8

The boat is under contract, but not yet closed. Still time to get in line with backup offers...contact the broker.
Old 02-06-2023, 03:55   #9

SOLD....headed back to Texas.

Tags
lexan