Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2016, 05:56   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: The new Leopard 45!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajsach View Post
It's a forward cockpit. Factor has a problem with the words " forward cockpit". It's his pet peeve.
No its not - other things piss me off far more, its just silly to describe it as a cockpit, thats all, just silly. With apologies to Paul Hogan

Thats not a forward cockpit

THAT is a forward cockpit.

And for those that cant remember or dont get the Paul Hogan reference:

Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 06:15   #17

Boat: PT-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
No its not - other things piss me off far more, its just silly to describe it as a cockpit, thats all, just silly. With apologies to Paul Hogan

Thats not a forward cockpit

I'd call that a porch.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 10:09   #18

Boat: Aloha 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
I'd call that a porch.
LOL... or veranda maybe.

If there is a new Leopard 45 already in the drink, why have there been no other pics or reports of it?
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 13:28   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
LOL... or veranda maybe.

If there is a new Leopard 45 already in the drink, why have there been no other pics or reports of it?
A replacement for the 44 is coming; I know that for sure.
EvilRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 16:23   #20

Boat: FP Elba 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
I think only monos really have cockpits, Catamarans have lounges, helm stations, and Saloons��

Sent from my PLT1077G using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
And I heard of one cat owner that installed a massage parlour as well as all the above!!!!!
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 23:23   #21

Location: South Africa. currently sailing in the Bahamas and then heading to the Med via Bermuda in May
Boat: Knysna 500SE

I took these photos on Friday at the berth where the new leopards are keep for sea trials prior to shipping ...... was interesting that it happened to be parked next to the last 44 made (the cat on the left of the 45) as I know the owner of that 44.
I was hoping to go on board but the boat was crawling with people (about 20!!)
Alex Simonis the architect and a bunch of people from Tui marine etc. I did speak to a person who was on the test sail out to Cape Point and he was most impressed with its sail performance (he was from France)
Other changes I noted ......... it seems slightly higher out the water ..... the hulls are new shape and the helm station layout has been redesigned - for example the winches and sheets are all on the port side of the the helm - the layout of the helm looks like a nice improvement.
The cockpit (not the lounge, veranda, porch etc )
is bigger and the layout nicer than the 44, I also has a better access from the cockpit to the helm and has a fridge (or ice maker) under the steps to the helm
The coach roof is also completely redone.
I am not sure why Leopard is keeping this under wraps on their web site

Will post other info as it comes to hand.

This boat is going the Annapolis boat show
Lambretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 01:34   #22

Location: South Africa. currently sailing in the Bahamas and then heading to the Med via Bermuda in May

Quote:
Looks nice! The forward cockpit looks a lot less obtrusive. Heard it was going to have a forward galley like the L40

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Yes the gallery layout is in the same position as the 40 ..... that is against the front window of the saloon
The reason the forward cockpit looks less obtrusive is because they have colour coded the glass and fibreglass saloon roof struts in similar colours ....... but I could not get closer to this front cockpit than from where I took the photos so cant really give more info

Congrats on your new boat purchase ........ chartered one in Turkey last year and loved it!
Old 18-07-2016, 11:30   #23

Boat: Leopard 48

Thank you for the scoop on the 45. Looks interesting....did you manage to find out what they are going to do with the 48?
Old 18-07-2016, 22:37   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenrms View Post
Thank you for the scoop on the 45. Looks interesting....did you manage to find out what they are going to do with the 48?
The 48 will not be changing for the the next couple of years ...... Leopard change their boat models on roughly a 5 year cycle and the 44 was the oldest in the yacht fleet, the previous upgrade was the 43 Power cat and before that was Leopard yacht (cant remember if it was a 38 or 39) to the current 40
Old 23-07-2016, 15:26   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatMc57 View Post
Perhaps it's just me..but for the sake of the unschooled, like myself, when I hear "cockpit", I think that there is a helm there. Is that just me?
No, you are actually quite correct. Marine terminology is supposed to be precise, and precisely used, to avoid confusion. Incorrect usage is exactly that.

As to sailing performance, sometimes it's the arrow, and sometimes it's the archer. Sometimes it's the archer but the archer thinks it's the arrow!
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 20:36   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
No, you are actually quite correct. Marine terminology is supposed to be precise, and precisely used, to avoid confusion. Incorrect usage is exactly that.

As to sailing performance, sometimes it's the arrow, and sometimes it's the archer. Sometimes it's the archer but the archer thinks it's the arrow!

No you are incorrect. Please look up the etymology of the word cockpit. Just Google it . It has meant multiple different things over the course of time. At one point it actually meant where the ships surgeon would take care of the wounded. The meaning of words change over the course of time.
Today the sailing public, sailing publications and manufacturers refer to this area as the "forward cockpit". If you're unable or unwilling to deal with the change of the terminology then that's fine but don't chastise somebody for thinking about it in a different way.

rajsach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 21:37   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
No you are incorrect. Please look up the etymology of the word cockpit. Just Google it . It has meant multiple different things over the course of time. At one point it actually meant where the ships surgeon would take care of the wounded. The meaning of words change over the course of time.
Today the sailing public, sailing publications and manufacturers refer to this area as the "forward cockpit". If you're unable or unwilling to deal with the change of the terminology then that's fine but don't chastise somebody for thinking about it in a different way.

Not that the internet is the last word, but I DID look it up and several references clearly said that in the case of a sailboat, it meant the area where the helm and the helmsman in located. There are other meanings for other contexts, of course.

With regard to the change in meaning of words, over time, it is generally accepted that the process is not a quick one. The reason for dictionaries, such as Webster's, (as opposed to colloquial dictionaries) is to define and thus maintain the meaning of a word. You will see that every year the linguists who manage the dictionaries do add or change a few words, but they don't do it just because a few magazines or manufacturers misuse a word. And there are plenty of sailors who do, in fact, get their terms right, and plenty that don't.

"Topsides", for example, specifically means the sides of a hull, above the waterline, but many incorrectly use the term to refer to the sides of the cabin or superstructure. Hasn't changed the correctly accepted meaning, though. Language changes. It is flexible, but not fluid!

And as one who has spent plenty of time in one, as I am sure Factor has, as well, that forward lounge is NOT a cockpit. But, enough of this pedantry. Let's go sailing! To windward, no less, and in a catamaran :-)
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 23:08   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

It is important to some that an lounge with roof in front of a saloon be defined as a cockpit. No matter how wrong the terminology is. But those who lounge about in their forward cockpits probably neither know nor care as to the correct use of the terminology.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 06:56   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
It is important to some that an lounge with roof in front of a saloon be defined as a cockpit. No matter how wrong the terminology is. But those who lounge about in their forward cockpits probably neither know nor care as to the correct use of the terminology.

Or care what the cockpit police says

rajsach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 07:01   #30

Boat: TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyman1122 View Post
Cockpit-lounge. Lounge-cockpit.

Who cares? Its got a place at the front and a place at the back.

Either you like it or you don't.
LOL

I for one like it!
m2244 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leopard, leopard 45