Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2008, 11:33   #46
jzk

I also noticed that there wasn't any visible fishing gear. It does look like a nice one though. Still overpriced, however. Now the only difference between it and a 47 is the sugar scoops and the raised salon table.
jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:07   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzk View Post
Now the only difference between it and a 47 is the sugar scoops and the raised salon table.
For me, the added length is a necessity as I'll need to carry some additional weight, AC, water maker, HD ice maker, scuba compressor and a couple tanks and a ~40 gallon baitwell. I also like the bottom step on the 47. It looks like a great place to wire and release a billfish, much better than leaning over the gunwale on a sportfisher.

This brings up a question. I haven't had the opportunity to pry around in a Leopard yet. In the bridgedeck is a large hatch in the sole. I've been told that's where the lifeboat is stored. I'm thinking this would be a great fish hold and where I'd pump my ice from the ice maker. Can someone give me the dimensions of this area? If this sounds like a crazy idea, please let me know.
billgow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:13   #48
jzk

I agree that it would be hard to buy a 45 over a 47. I haven't seen enough of a discount on a 45 to justify the compromise, especially since the 47s seem to be selling for as low as $265k.
Old 08-08-2008, 13:31   #49

Boat: R&C, Leopard Catermaran, 47', Rapture
Billgow,

That is where a life raft goes. I do not keep the life raft there all the time, only when leaving my home port area for a while. I think it is about 3' x 4' x 2' deep - maybe a little smaller. it has a drain hole on the bottom and we use it to put SCUBA/snorkle gear for an easy place to temp. store and rinse. I am sure it would work as a live well, we just use frozen ballyhoo and lures.
shawnbush12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 14:18   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnbush12 View Post
Billgow,

That is where a life raft goes. I do not keep the life raft there all the time, only when leaving my home port area for a while. I think it is about 3' x 4' x 2' deep - maybe a little smaller. it has a drain hole on the bottom and we use it to put SCUBA/snorkle gear for an easy place to temp. store and rinse. I am sure it would work as a live well, we just use frozen ballyhoo and lures.
Thanks! That's exactly what I wanted to know. This is where I want to put our plunder when we catch tuna and dorado (or in the vernacular of a Florida fisherman, "dolphin"). I envision my ice maker filling that space with crushed ice and tossing in edible fish when the opportunity arises.

I have to do a little more research but I think the place for my baitwell is at about here;

I asked a rep at Moorings and he doesn't think I'll encroach on the cabin below if I cut a big round hole in that bench and glass in a tank at that location. I can just see all you Leopard owners cringing now... I promise to do a good, clean job of it!

A couple Taco style outriggers on the outside (port and starboard) sides of the archway and a nice strong railing along the back edge of the catwalk in the back to hold ~10 rods and I think I've made a pretty decent fishing machine out of one of these cats.
Old 08-08-2008, 15:11   #51

You can put it and be fine but that is a nice storage area under the bench. A better spot may be just behind the starborad connection of the davit in your picture. There is small 2' x 2' lid on the bench under which the propane tanks are stored. the area goes back a little way and you could fit two tanks and your live well. you would not have to cut a hole in the bench (STOP THAT!!), just open the lid.

As far as the outriggers go -- STOP THAT!! Do you want a sailboat you can fish on or a Berterm fishing boat with an attached sail....
Old 08-08-2008, 15:47   #52

Boat: 2 boats, 900 Viknes, 1055 RSA, going for Multihull soon
Send a message via MSN to Erikte
I totally agree with billgow, the added length (of a 47) is a necessity as I'll need to carry some additional weight, water maker, scuba compressor and at least four scuba tanks (dedicated scuba diver and instructor). And i see no reason to go for the 45 instead of the 47 so far.

Thanks for information from those of you who owns some (38, 45 and 47) and more info and comments is much appreciated.
Old 08-08-2008, 16:30   #53

Quote:
As far as the outriggers go -- STOP THAT!! Do you want a sailboat you can fish on or a Berterm fishing boat with an attached sail....
A Bertram (I like Vikings better) that has a sail. I'm a fisherman who has decided it's time to give up the roar of the diesels. I've also got some sailing in my background (mostly racing). I figure it's time to marry the two activities.

Something tells me, you'll be seeing more fishermen thinking along these lines in the near future.

Quote:
You can put it and be fine but that is a nice storage area under the bench. A better spot may be just behind the starborad connection of the davit in your picture. There is small 2' x 2' lid on the bench under which the propane tanks are stored. the area goes back a little way and you could fit two tanks and your live well. you would not have to cut a hole in the bench (STOP THAT!!), just open the lid.
I'll have to take a look. Live bait is pretty picky about where and how you keep it. I need to do some extensive plumbing (aerators, pumps and drains), the shape has to be round (polyethylene lined is best), night light.....
Old 08-08-2008, 16:40   #54

Ok you may have a point if fuel keeps moving up.

Live bait picky? are you not sacrificing them? must be round and have light...are they bait or guests. what are they doing, reading with the nightlight. Can you tell I do little fishing, heck I had to google fishing boats just to find Bertram. Vikings are we talking football now where did that come from.

Ok, just kidding don't kill me in a response -- I did google fishing boats though.
Old 08-08-2008, 17:06   #55

Quote:
Ok you may have a point if fuel keeps moving up.
Actually, it's partly because I'm sick and tired of seeing things run on oil that comes from countries hostile to mine (and every other civilized society). I also like to play outside the lines. The very fact there are so few others doing this is enough to keep me interested. I figure between sailing and fishing, I should be able to stay pretty busy while on the water.

Quote:
Live bait picky? are you not sacrificing them? must be round and have light...are they bait or guests. what are they doing, reading with the nightlight. Can you tell I do little fishing, heck I had to google fishing boats just to find Bertram. Vikings are we talking football now where did that come from.
It's not the bait that's picky, it's the fish I'm after that are. Let's assume for a minute you were hungry enough to eat at a burger joint. Would you eat some nasty thing that had been under the heat lamp for a couple days that even the flies were avoiding or something hot off the grill?

Happy, healthy baits attract fish.

Quote:
Ok, just kidding don't kill me in a response -- I did google fishing boats though.
Are you kidding? I want you to come fishing with me and show me how these boats work! I'll show you how to fish and you teach me the intricacies of these things. I figure when I finally pick one out, I'll sail it to Florida and have all my work done there before delivering it to Mexico. I know Key Largo pretty well. If I can't catch fish there, I'm in trouble.
Old 08-08-2008, 17:24   #56

intricacies I know little, learning and having fun...alot.

I know the reefs and wrecks at Key Largo area since I dove there over 60 times in the last 3 years so I would have to stop on the way out/in to hit a dive spot...
Old 09-08-2008, 05:13   #57

Boat: Leopard 38 Cat "Alesto 2"
I recently replaced a thru hull and found that it was surrounded with solid fiberglass. I rebedded the exhaust pipe fittings and these were balsa core. Also just finished $6000 repairs: all thru hulls and hopefully all the dents that Moorings gel coated over. I had one thru hull break in my hand so I changed all. Also, all these boats will need the side windows rebedded, a 30 hour job. Slide a fillet knife between window and caulk from the inside, there should be 1" of solid caulk adhered to the window. All that I have seen wee attached only at the edge, the edge caulk was a softer caulk intended for cosmetic fill only. See archives at Leopardcat@yahoogroups.com by joining the group.
LeeHaeele
Leopard 38 # 15 Alesto 2
leehaefele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 05:49   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by leehaefele View Post
I recently replaced a thru hull and found that it was surrounded with solid fiberglass. I rebedded the exhaust pipe fittings and these were balsa core. Also just finished $6000 repairs: all thru hulls and hopefully all the dents that Moorings gel coated over. I had one thru hull break in my hand so I changed all. Also, all these boats will need the side windows rebedded, a 30 hour job. Slide a fillet knife between window and caulk from the inside, there should be 1" of solid caulk adhered to the window. All that I have seen wee attached only at the edge, the edge caulk was a softer caulk intended for cosmetic fill only. See archives at Leopardcat@yahoogroups.com by joining the group.
LeeHaeele
Leopard 38 # 15 Alesto 2
I've been reading Lee's comments for several months now and I highly recommend the LeopardCat Group. Lee has had a lot of first hand experience working on his boat and will tell it to you straight up. I've saved just about everything he's contributed because you won't find it anywhere else.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:36   #59
jzk

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgow View Post
I've been reading Lee's comments for several months now and I highly recommend the LeopardCat Group. Lee has had a lot of first hand experience working on his boat and will tell it to you straight up. I've saved just about everything he's contributed because you won't find it anywhere else.
Yes, me too. Before making an offer on a Leopard, it would do anyone service to read each and every post in that forum, as that will educate you on what to look for and what to tell the surveyor to look for. Also, the Tritons at sea blog is very informative as well.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:52   #60

Is a Leopard 45/47 faster than F-P in same size? What is the weight?
freetime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leopard, ramp