Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2018, 04:34   #16

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41
Re: Leopard cracked Saloon Window(s)

Here's what I received from the factory, but I'm not sure what black material he's referring to:

Dear Lee,

Thank you for your email and your interest in Leopard Catamarans. Please find a very short reply to your research regarding the windows…

The 43 you are referring to is a 2004 (14 year old boat) model and Sika was used to fit the windows at the time… currently the windows are bonded to the boat and we have not had any issues on any of the latest models.

You might also have read about the black foam that is coming out in the saloon windows of boats dating back 3 or 4 years ago… the factory do not use the foam that was used for cosmetic purposes alone, any longer.

I think you will agree that Sika would need to be replaced on a boat that is 14 years old, sitting in the Caribbean sun and heat.

Trust that the reply was sufficient?

Should you need any other information, please feel free to inform me.

Kind regards
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 04:49   #17

Boat: Leopard 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeV View Post
Here's what I received from the factory, but I'm not sure what black material he's referring to:

Dear Lee,

Thank you for your email and your interest in Leopard Catamarans. Please find a very short reply to your research regarding the windows…

The 43 you are referring to is a 2004 (14 year old boat) model and Sika was used to fit the windows at the time… currently the windows are bonded to the boat and we have not had any issues on any of the latest models.

You might also have read about the black foam that is coming out in the saloon windows of boats dating back 3 or 4 years ago… the factory do not use the foam that was used for cosmetic purposes alone, any longer.

I think you will agree that Sika would need to be replaced on a boat that is 14 years old, sitting in the Caribbean sun and heat.

Trust that the reply was sufficient?

Should you need any other information, please feel free to inform me.

Kind regards

So....I'm a bit muddled. Are they saying that a Sika adhesive or sealant (predictably) failed, and that's the reason windows are cracking? Wouldn't that cause leaks, rather than fractures?
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 04:53   #18

My interpretation is he’s only addressing leaks.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:56   #19
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Leopard cracked Saloon Window(s)

Yup.. Age and sun will affect the sealant.
Not just a cat problem..
I bought an '87 Bene 321 in Marigot SXM, the one with the window that curves over the top from one side of the cabin to the other.. fine in Caribe showers but leaked beating NE for the Azores as seas broke over the bow.
Dug out the old sealant and renewed.
Problem solved

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 05:08   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Yup.. Age and sun will affect the sealant.
Not just a cat problem..
I bought an '87 Bene 321 in Marigot SXM, the one with the window that curves over the top from one side of the cabin to the other.. fine in Caribe showers but leaked beating NE for the Azores as seas broke over the bow.
Dug out the old sealant and renewed.
Problem solved
So what did you use for a sealant? I’ve reached out to the yard and asked what they used for our portlights in the aft cabin & fwd hatch over the v berth in our tri but they’ve not responded.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:55   #21
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Leopard cracked Saloon Window(s)

This was back in 2000.. I used uv resistant Sika and its primer. Likely newer better available 18yrs later.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 06:05   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
This was back in 2000.. I used uv resistant Sika and its primer. Likely newer better available 18yrs later.
Yep; our tri was 2004 so likely same stuff
Old 06-12-2018, 06:16   #23

Boat: Leopard 39

Quote:
My interpretation is he’s only addressing leaks.
Yes. The window on my 2011 39 is cracked, but it doesn't leak. I haven't yet received a reply to my email to them regarding cracking.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:49   #24

And let’s not forget hatches; just woke up to this on the FP forum
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4900EE1B-E16E-4941-8348-CB2416E0E243.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	234.7 KB
ID:	181780  
Old 07-12-2018, 06:38   #25

And just received this from Leopard:

Dear Lee,

Regarding the windows of all Leopards - We no longer use the materials we did in 2004. The Betaseal product was not UV stable. Windows are now installed using Sikaflex 295UV on all Leopards since 2008.

Have a great weekend.

Kind regards

Daniel Snyman
Old 07-12-2018, 06:45   #26

Quote:

Looks to me like too much tension on the hinge or lack of maintenance (lubrication).
OldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 14:24   #27

Boat: FP Salina 48, Hobie 33

Quote:
Yup. I have a bunch of those on my Salina. Time to get a spare or two made. Good news is it looks easy to replace.
Tornadosailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2018, 16:08   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Leopard 42 catamaran

We have a 2001 Leopard 42, which we have owned since 2009

In the first year we had the the two front windows replaced by a professional in St. Martin. We have had no issues with it since then.

However, we have rebedded the side windows multiple times since then. The sealant keeps letting go of the acrylic, and then we get leaks. On each occasion we have used Sikaflex 295UV. However, we have recently discovered that one is supposed to use a special Sikaflex primer in order to get the sealant to stick properly to the acrylic. That special primer is both VERY expensive, Very hard to source, and has a very short shelf life.

So, on the last occasion we switched to using Dow Corning 795 which is WAY cheaper and supposedly gives good results. We shall see,

In the meantime, our starboard forward window has a single, 4" long crack running down from the top edge. I presume this to be an expansion/contraction issue. The problem is, of course, that these windows are curved. Curved panels are no longer available, and R&C themselves say we need to replace it with a flat panel. Haven't got around to doing that yet. Another expensive job. Maybe when we get to ST. Martin again we will have it done there. Just buying the acrylic is not cheap. And then do we do both sides, or even both sides forward and aft so they match???

The rebedding was a pain to do, but having to buy a whole new window is not exciting at all.

But there it is.

Life is too short to live in ugly places.
LifePart2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 07:34   #29

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

[QUOTE=LifePart2;2783300
In the first year we had the the two front windows replaced by a professional in St. Martin. We have had no issues with it since then.

However, we have rebedded the side windows multiple times since then. The sealant keeps letting go of the acrylic, and then we get leaks. On each occasion we have used Sikaflex 295UV. However, we have recently discovered that one is supposed to use a special Sikaflex primer in order to get the sealant to stick properly to the acrylic. That special primer is both VERY expensive, Very hard to source, and has a very short shelf life.

So, on the last occasion we switched to using Dow Corning 795 which is WAY cheaper and supposedly gives good results. We shall see,
[/QUOTE]

Noel,

We used Dow 795 to mount the windows on our cat. Not a leak in over 8 years and 30,000 miles.

Our hatches, on the other hand, have been a constant source of misery. We have re-bedded the acrylic on all 6 of them at least 3 times each. We have used both Sika 295uv with the primer and Dow 795. What I have found is that, since the original lenses were bedded with silicone, nothing will stick to the lenses or the frames, including Sika primer or Dow 795, without first using some form of silicone remover such as McKanica or Goo Gone. No amount of wire brushing or sanding will suffice without the chemical silicone removers. We did this on our last round, re-bedding with Dow 795, and so far these are the only ones that have not needed re-bedding. Could it be that Leopard originally bedded your windows with some form of silicone? I believe that most manufacturers are using urethanes now, but you never know.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2018, 15:27   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Leopard 42 catamaran

Indeed, Mike, you never know. If we have to re-bed them again, we shall use a silicone remover. Hadn't thought of that.

Life is too short to live in ugly places.
LifePart2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leopard, saloon, wind