Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2015, 08:48   #1

Question Leopard 40: Single-handed reefing

The Leopard 40 has winches at the mast, but some descriptions say "all lines lead to the cockpit".

Do you have to go to the mast to reef the main on a stock Leopard 40? If so, has anyone tried to run 1 or 2 reefing lines back to the cockpit?
Foozinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 20:46   #2

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36
Re: Leopard 40: Single-handed reefing

I'm in the process of trying to move ropes out of the cockpit of my Outremer.I have moved the Halyard and am working on the a reef . Way to much spaghetti in the cockpit for my liking. If you organize your self you can reef single handed . The stable platform of a cat allows you to work forward.
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 00:33   #3

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

I did it on my boat, not a Leopard but that doesn't really matter, which had all the main handling lines at the mast.

I had all the work done when I was in Grenada getting ready for a circumnavigation.

Had a custom mounting bracket made and fitted to the mast to take the reef lines, the outhaul, the topping lift, the halyard and a new line to act as a downhaul all brought back to the cockpit. In my humble opinion it is only worth doing if you bring ALL the lines back. If you still have to go to the mast to do anything then you might as well leave all the lines there.

All up it cost me around US$3500 but when you consider that included 6 high spec Harken blocks and 6 Lewmar clutches the price was not bad. There were certainly times when a 1000 nm from land and a squall sneaked up on me that I was very glad I could get the main down from the comfort of the cockpit!

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 01:19   #4

Boat: Catana 47 hull no 1 ex Leopard 40 (2009) & Crownline 250CR

On my 2009 L40 the winches on the mast are for

Raising and lowering the main (and jib on the furler)
Reefing the main
Raising and lowering the asymmetrical spinnaker

All the lines to the helm allow for
Main sheet adjustment
Jib sheets adjustment
Furler on the jib
Traveler for the main

I have not bothered with reeling points back as you have to go to the mast to lower the main so for me it's fine to reef the main from there as well

Rgards

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
MikeFergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 06:58   #5

Boat: 40' Leopard

I have a leopard 40 and have the main halyard led aft . I also installed an electric wench .
The electric wench has made raising and lowering the main a snap.
But you will have to learn how to raise the main without getting the battens tangled in the Lazy Jacks.
If I reef the main I do go forward after dropping the main to just below the reefing point . T hen adjust the main to reefing point with electric wench .

I also do a lot of single handed sailing . I also have a little trick I use when getting ready to tie up to my slip . I tie a line to a block mid ships and a block aft then I use a line attached to the electric wench . I take the line and tie a loop in the end . As I come to the dock[after putting my fenders out]I slow to a crawl or stop and put the loop over a piling . Then I wench in the line and that pullls the boat to slip so I can get off and attach the dock line to boat with out any stress.
Happy sailing
rancher44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 08:37   #6

Boat: Purchase pending
Send a message via Skype™ to budm303

I love those electric wenches!
budm303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 09:07   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancher44 View Post

I also do a lot of single handed sailing . I also have a little trick I use when getting ready to tie up to my slip . I tie a line to a block mid ships and a block aft then I use a line attached to the electric wench . I take the line and tie a loop in the end . As I come to the dock[after putting my fenders out]I slow to a crawl or stop and put the loop over a piling . Then I wench in the line and that pullls the boat to slip so I can get off and attach the dock line to boat with out any stress.
Happy sailing
I do similar; except with a strong nylon line around amidship to a loop dropped over to the bottom of a post on the dock further aft. With loops in the line spliced to the correct length I use the engine / propellor power to swing the boat in to the dock. It can sit there in gear going nowhere pulling on the rope until other mooring lines are made fast. Nylon of course has a little stretch.
That way using motor power it will pull you in to the dock even in a strong cross wind.

That is an adaption of the method I've seen small ferries and other small commercial boat operators using. Often they will sit in gear with the motor running pulling them into a pier on a more or less central line while they pick up passengers.

Like you I use an electric halyard winch for the main. If you pull one side of the lazy jacks in around a reefing horn on the gooseneck, you can raise the main without snagging if you point into the wind a little to one side so the sail blows over to the side with the retracted lazy Jack. Later when convenient you can reset that side lazy Jack before you again drop the main.
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 09:29   #8

Boat: Outremer 42

For me, mast or cockpit reefing depends on how happy you are with your autopilot. If it works well, then keep it all at the mast. It's not like a mono where you have heel to deal with when reefing (usually!).
It's remarkable how often you have to fiddle with lazyjacks, reefing horns, halliard tangles, etc, and the idea of trying to sort those out from the cockpit doesn't work for me.
Now an electric winch.....
out42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 10:02   #9

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

Quote:
Originally Posted by out42 View Post
For me, mast or cockpit reefing depends on how happy you are with your autopilot. If it works well, then keep it all at the mast. It's not like a mono where you have heel to deal with when reefing (usually!).
It's remarkable how often you have to fiddle with lazyjacks, reefing horns, halliard tangles, etc, and the idea of trying to sort those out from the cockpit doesn't work for me.
My Outremer has electric winches . The 2 part main halyard was lead to it. It was so slow that one day I tried hauling the sail up by hand from the mast. The boat is equipped with a bat car system so i got it 3/4 of the way up in seconds and did the rest with the manual winch. The more I use the boat the less I use the Electric winch. sorry for the drift
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 00:09   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by out42 View Post
I only have one hull so I run everything back to the cockpit. As for an electric main halyard winch, I use a small anchor windlass. I mounted it horizontally in a strong stainless L bracket which incorporates a curved archway over the upright of the L, over the end of the motor. The motor is protected by a bag made of dodger material with a drawstring. It's under my dodger so I can stand back and look up as I hoist. My Nielson winch required a simple standard mod to the oil seal for horizontal mounting which should be checked out if you do the same with any make.
It pulls through a jammer with a correct lead to the larger end as you would for any winch. It's operated by a foot switch on the cockpit floor. It works very well and is likely a lot cheaper than a "proper" one. Heavy cables of course.
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leopard, leopard 40, single