Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2019, 11:59   #16

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41
Re: Leopard 40 or 39 in the US West Coast ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intentional Drifter View Post
I disagree. I've sailed most of the more recent Lagoons in this size range, including the 380, 400, 410, 420, and 42. All of them sailed better than the Leopard 40 (the current version, the older M&M Leopard 40 is a very nice sailing boat).

Of the Lagoons, the 420 is the poorest of the bunch, and that's due to the compromises made in hull shape to make it a hybrid (which failed miserably). The 410 and 42 are both nice sailing cruising cats, in my opinion far better than the Leopard 40. We spend 2 weeks on a 42 last year in the same area. It performed quite nicely -- no speed demon, but competent. It was a joy and we will be chartering it again, this year.

If I was considering a Leopard in this size range, I'd try and find one of the M&M 40's that didn't get beat up in the charter trade. They were nice boats that sailed quite well.

ID
Which year 42 did you sail?
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 12:36   #17
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast

A 2017, Water Dragon, out of Nanaimo, whose owner is on CF, I believe. A very nice boat, by the way. I don't know the owner, so I have no self-interest, but I don't mind giving a 4-star rating for the boat. If you're looking to charter in the NW, or you want to try a 42 if thinking about buying, this is a nice boat, well-maintained, in a very nice part of the world to sail. Nanaimo Yacht Charters is a 1st-class operation, too, run by a father-daughter team of circumnavigators. I have no qualms in recommending them.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 12:43   #18

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Thought that might be it. Have seen the videos the owner made. We bought our Corsair 36 tri there several years ago. Beautiful area!
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 13:35   #19

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I was wondering what was wrong with the hull shape of the 420. I know there was that weird downturn all the way aft underneath and I imagine that had something to do with adverse performance. Was that the only thing?

I was also wondering how it would be if you shaved that off and then faired that in. I think they did this on the 421 but with the mold modification (of course) and I also wonder if that boat sailed better.
Old 10-03-2019, 15:26   #20
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast

Regarding the 420, we had signed up to buy one when they were still just drawings and concept papers, largely based on the success seen with the Solomon Technologies modified Lagoon 410's. There were several of those built and the owners loved them, I talked to two of them and had hoped the 420 would be an optimized electric 410. But, Lagoon kicked Solomon to the curb and designed/engineered/outifitted the 420, in-house. Then, the first 420 appeared at the Miami boat show. We were distinctly unimpressed and backed out of the purchase.

Anyway, the aft hull shape was configured to increase buoyancy due to the weight of the huge lead-acid battery bank they installed. That, and the large diameter fixed props used to try and get re-generation under sail. Unfortunately, the boat was already underpowered and with the drag from the props ended up being a quite "leisurely" boat under sail. But, that's why the hull shape is the way it is.

I understood that with the 421 they had given up on the hybrid concept and redesigned the aft section. I've never been on a 421 and have no knowledge about its performance.

Now, the interior of both models is excellent and we loved it. I understand there are some quite happy 420/421 owners. I don't regret not being one of them.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 15:40   #21

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Thanks ID. Here's a haul out vid for the other readers here that shows the 420 hull.
Old 11-03-2019, 11:59   #22

Thanks Intentional Drifter for this insight ! Have you by any chance sailed Lagoon 39 (or anyone here ?)
lazyxiong is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leopard, leopard 40, west coast