Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Leopard Catamarans, Robertson & Caine
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2020, 03:09   #1

Info on Leopard 46 reefing at helm.

Good day all.
I'm looking for information on weather or not anyone has seen info on making a leopard 46 reef (1st, or 2nd/3rd) at the helm instead at the mast base.
Thanks. Google has not been helpful.
serpa4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 08:27   #2
GGT

Boat: Leopard 46
Re: Info on Leopard 46 reefing at helm.

I posted pics on the Leopards group at group.io. You can see them here.
GGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 08:15   #3

Boat: Leopard 40 Sailing Catamaran

Thanks GGT, our reefing lines are are probably run like serpa4's and we're also trying to figure out how to rerun them.

Our current setup has the reef lines tied off on the leach side, running down and thru the boom and to helm. Needing one of us to climb on deck to tie down luff end.

GGT any insights on how to rerun these? We've got a collection of blocks in one of the bildges that I'm betting were part of the original reefing system.
Old 12-06-2020, 07:01   #4
GGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBigKahuna View Post
Thanks GGT, our reefing lines are are probably run like serpa4's and we're also trying to figure out how to rerun them.

Our current setup has the reef lines tied off on the leach side, running down and thru the boom and to helm. Needing one of us to climb on deck to tie down luff end.

GGT any insights on how to rerun these? We've got a collection of blocks in one of the bildges that I'm betting were part of the original reefing system.
I don't have single line reefing. I do need to go forward to hook the luff as well. The pics I posted show how they are run, but do require you to go forward to hook the luff.

My thoughts are that this setup has less chafe for longer reef periods.
Old 13-06-2020, 06:57   #5

GGT,

I'm sure you're right about the chafing and I'm betting it's due to the way Leopard rigs the luff side of the reefing line without any kind of pulley. For us, we want to get out of the business of climbing topdeck in poor conditions... 6' chop comes to mind.

I've been msging back and forth w/ a buddy in Ft. Lauderdale and was able to mock (badly, I'm no artist). How his matching Leopard '40 is run for single line reefing... hope this helps.

jBrad Peek

sv Fuzzy Logic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	StandardReef2Helm-Editted.png
Views:	133
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	217262  
Old 13-06-2020, 07:10   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Be careful what you wish for. Going forward is really not that big a deal. You have less chafe, and just as importantly, less resistance from all the blocks. Plenty of the systems that lead to the cockpit still need someone forward to keep things sorted. Plus there is a lot of spaghetti in the cockpit with all the extra lines. Designers often DO know what they are doing. Actually, most of the time or even almost all the time!
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2020, 07:19   #7

Haha... Robertson and Caine designed them to have single line reefing. Headaches like you described is why some folks go to double line. It seems pretty split, folks who'd rather not deal w/ the headaches are more than happy and likewise for those w/ SLRing. The good thing is the whole sail kit was on the hard all winter so we'll see and if we get fed up w/ the headaches you list, we'll just revert back. Thanks for making that point though... there's always a price to be paid!!
Old 01-04-2021, 17:18   #8

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Mine is rigged like fuzzylogic, but I use the first reef single line, the second requires a kilometer of line, and often tangles when raising the main, so I shortened it.

When the main is fully up the line is too short.

When I need it I reef to first reef, then goto mast to attach second reef line.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2021, 05:06   #9
GGT

I thought I would give an update to single line reefing. I just went through great expense to learn only reef 1 can be used in this manor with the stock boom end. Depending on how your sail flakes will determine which side it can be on. In my case reef 1 is on the port side. You must mark the halyard so you can set the halyard at proper height so when reef 1 is pulled in the block on the luff does not contact the boom.

Reef 2 is not possible with stock boom end as too much sail is stacked and the reef line bends around sail. This will change over time. Even with reef locked in the boom can still move up and down and that movement has the line moving across the luff. I suspect a few hours sail like this will eat the sail.

Bottom line, if you want single line reefing on more than 1 reef on a leopard 46 you need a different boom end.

Jon

Tags
helm, leopard, leopard 46