Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2011, 17:40   #31
Marine Service Provider

Re: Does Anyone Want a Leopard as Badly as We Do ?

Mustang Sally...How'd you like them apples ?? Those pics posted by PeterW show how those keels were destroyed but no damage to the boat.A quick and easy replacement versus months on the hard getting a repair and also a boat that has had keels rebuilt !!Here in Jarret bay is a FP that dragged ashore during Irene.It lost a keel , took in water and is a right off.My leopard 47 has been on the hard for 20 months , on its keels and no deflection , cracks or what ever else you guess will happen.My previous leopard 45 had bulkhead cracks around the tabbings because it was chocked on the hulls alone and not on keels
You dont own a leopard therefore you should not state facts about them until you have done thorough. research .Stick to facts on Voyage cats
You forget that the older leopards have the great advantage of SHAFT drives versus the painfully , costly , problematic sail drives
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 03:17   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Woodall View Post
Mustang Sally made a comment to the effect that French catamarans are generally the best built. I believed that too, at least until about three years ago. I was convinced that either a Lagoon or FP would be the cat my wife and I would untimately purchase and therefore those brands were our charter choices in the Caribbean and Med over several years. After sailing on three different Leopards, including two that were privately owned, we have re-evaluated the cats we are considering. The two Leopard owners are extremely happy with their boats, one is currently in the Pacific. Both owners feel their Leopards are more well-built than at least two French brands - Lagoon and FP.

I've done a very informal and unscientific survey. I have spoken with boatyard workers at Nanny Cay and Wickham's Cay on Tortola. I got very similar responses at both boatyards, Leopards are easier to work on, systems are more simple, they need fewer overall repairs and hold up as well or better than Lagoons or FP's. I thought the workers on Tortola might be spouting the company line because of the "Moorings influence" so I had the same conversation at one Florida yard and one in NC. The guy at the Florida yard gave a slight edge to the Leopards. The NC yard had only hauled and worked on one Leopard and "a couple" of FP's, and "several" Lagoons, but felt all three were good boats and noted the Leopard as "easier" to work on, and again with more simple, straight-forward systems. I never mentioned to any of the boatyard workers what anyone else had told me. After getting very similar responses from six different guys at four different yards, it convinced me that at least two French boats, Lagoon and FP, are more likely than not lesser boats when compared with Leopards.
I totally agree. The Lagoons around me are very poorly built compared to my L 46. Gelcoat is bad, the 410 next to me the cleat broke in half! when you walk on them you can feel the difference. They bend and flex. Beneteau boats are famous for thier flexing and people laugh when ever mentioning a French boat here. Not to say my boat is perfect by any means but it's in a much higher class of build than any Lagoon I have been on. Other french boats, can't comment on. Also I out sail them all the time.

Not bashing them but just take a look and you will see yourself. I had to get my boat inspected and the inspector (Unbiased) Said "Nothing like the Lagoons" They did all kinds of tests on the boat including checking thickness of paint and hull thickness.
Tropical Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 07:00   #33

Boat: Leopard 39 Owners Version

well let me save you all a lot of homework. I'm a person who thinks that every thing has to be analyzed to death, whether an auto purchase or buying a computer. So, 2 years of studying used cats in the 36 to 42' range, and traveling thousands and thousands of miles to view a lot of different boats, we bought a new Moorings 3900/Leopard 39. Moorings can pay the bills for a few years before we take it over 100%. There. Done. Consider all your homework done for you.. kinda like cheating, eh? but you'll still get a good grade with out all the work, I did that for you.
Privleoplag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 07:42   #34

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I asked this question earlier. Are there any other production cats with sacrificial keels? As far as the Lagoon quality debate goes I was cruising their site and noticed a poorly fitting ceiling panel in their brochure. One would think that they would at least get a better boat with a better pic. BTW I saw the same thing on an FP. I might buy a Lagoon anyway or a Leopard or an FP. These forums are great to know what to look for and what to expect. BOB
Sand crab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leopard