Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2018, 08:42   #1

Boat: Robertson and Caine Leopard 40
Best Place to Put TV in saloon

Has anyone mounted a small (~24" or less) TV in the saloon of their 2006-ish Leopard 40? If so, I'd be interested to know where.

I am contemplating using an articulating arm and trying to mount it to upper aft part of bulkhead above freezer just aft of the vhf and radio/cd. If I can fit it there, I could swing it out parallel to the sliding door for best viewing from settee.

I'd be very interested in any other L-40 owners' experiences. Thanks.
gbillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:25   #2

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Re: Best Place to Put TV in saloon

Swing arms can be an issue when the boat is in motion. Make sure you have a means to secure it if you go that route.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 07:24   #3

Boat: Leopard 40

On our 2008 L40 we have an articulated arm mounted on the side of the cabinet above the galley sink. This is a great location because with the small sliding door open the TV can be swung out for view from the cockpit. The arm is an "Ergotron" https://www.ergotron.com/en-us/produ...tails/45-361#/. It is aluminum (but not anodized) and holds a 32" Samsung flatscreen TV. We generally do not have any problems with it swinging around in most sea conditions, but if it gets really rough, we bungee cord it to the door handle or the grab bar by the helm.

Doug Kisling
Cay de Cay 2008 L40
Ft Pierce heading to Jacksonville
Old 27-03-2018, 16:16   #4

Boat: Byliner 3258

Have a look on eBay at ceiling mounted swing down mounting. Keeps screen from damage.
Hunky Dory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2018, 20:10   #5

Boat: Kanter 52' cutter

There are some great mounts made for RVs....I found a double articulated one that folds up and latches into place...very heavy duty but attractive for high end RVs.
sailnautilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 07:08   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisling View Post
On our 2008 L40 we have an articulated arm mounted on the side of the cabinet above the galley sink. This is a great location because with the small sliding door open the TV can be swung out for view from the cockpit. The arm is an "Ergotron" https://www.ergotron.com/en-us/produ...tails/45-361#/. It is aluminum (but not anodized) and holds a 32" Samsung flatscreen TV. We generally do not have any problems with it swinging around in most sea conditions, but if it gets really rough, we bungee cord it to the door handle or the grab bar by the helm.

Doug Kisling
Cay de Cay 2008 L40
Ft Pierce heading to Jacksonville
Thanks Doug. From that location, where do you run the TV power source to?
Old 31-03-2018, 06:32   #7

Boat: Leopard 40

The TV cables (both power and HDMI) are run thru a grommet next to the mount, just behind the access panel inside the cabinet over the galley sink. From there the power goes up to an AC outlet we had installed above the ceiling panel above the sink. AC outlet is tied into the AC circuit on the starboard side (the ground fault outlet next to the galley. We have our satellite control unit and DirecTV box on a shelf near the ground fault outlet. All the other wiring (HDMI, Coax, etc.) comes in there thru a small access panel next to the outlet.
Old 31-03-2018, 12:01   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisling View Post
The TV cables (both power and HDMI) are run thru a grommet next to the mount, just behind the access panel inside the cabinet over the galley sink. From there the power goes up to an AC outlet we had installed above the ceiling panel above the sink. AC outlet is tied into the AC circuit on the starboard side (the ground fault outlet next to the galley. We have our satellite control unit and DirecTV box on a shelf near the ground fault outlet. All the other wiring (HDMI, Coax, etc.) comes in there thru a small access panel next to the outlet.
Perfect! Thanks so much.
Old 31-03-2018, 12:05   #9

I also have some type of interactive arm and works fine for me. I will take pics to show you
Every week we have bbq party with over friends and I make smoked meat on my electric smoker. Also, owner of electric smoker guy blog where you can find more about preparing great food about preparing great food
runnerman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2018, 14:52   #10

Boat: Catana 47 hull no 1 ex Leopard 40 (2009) & Crownline 250CR

On my L40 I put mine where you want to mount yours. I have managed to fit a 24 inch perfectly in place with a swing arm. I use a bungy cord whilst underway to keep it flat against the wall. If you want pictures let me know.
MikeFergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 05:10   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFergie View Post
On my L40 I put mine where you want to mount yours. I have managed to fit a 24 inch perfectly in place with a swing arm. I use a bungy cord whilst underway to keep it flat against the wall. If you want pictures let me know.
Pictures would help a lot. Thanks.
Old 02-04-2018, 05:31   #12
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
Swing arms can be an issue when the boat is in motion. Make sure you have a means to secure it if you go that route.
Look for what the ones designed for RVs etc that have good lock fittings. I’ve pounded my boat pretty hard and the 40” tv has been fine . Of course I through bolted the thing to a solid cabinet
Old 24-09-2018, 13:06   #13

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

Reviving the thread. Can people post pictures of their setup?
Old 24-09-2018, 13:14   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Reviving the thread. Can people post pictures of their setup?
please! I have settled on setting it on the galley counter to watch from the settee or the cockpit, then storing it when not watching.
Old 26-09-2018, 13:47   #15

Boat: Catana 47 hull no 1 ex Leopard 40 (2009) & Crownline 250CR

I have mounted on the wall with a TV mount. I put stainless saddles on each side to hold the tv folded when not in use with a bungee cord I made up. On the edge I glued a towel holder which locks into the saddle when the TV is open so it can be seen from the whole saloon. I will take pics this weekend. I mounted a 24 inch Telefunken with built in Cd player
MikeFergie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
saloon