Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2014, 00:11   #1

Boat: Leopard 45
Are they any Leopard 58 experiences to share?

We are looking to taking the plunge and move from a 46' monohull to a cat. The Leopard 58 has grabbed our attention as has the Lagoon 52. Aesthetically the only major difference bar the extra 6' on the Leopard is the forward covered area and hardtop on the flybridge (Lagoon offers a factory option at E25k). Both have ample living area for extended cruising.

There are relatively few 58's commissioned however I am hopeful there may be some independent ocean going experiences that anyone can share or point me to. My only reservation on the Leopard is having tons of water piling into the forward "cockpit" in rough seas and the possible risk of eventual failure of the superstructure. No doubt the designer have taken care of this however I remain cautious.
nmit5903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 04:24   #2

Boat: 07 Leopard 40 / 93 Hunter 30T
Re: Are they any Leopard 58 experiences to share?

I have had a chance to check out both of the vessels you mention. Very nice layouts altho to my eye in rough seas the expansive floor space may be difficult to move around on. Another concern for me at least is the excessive boom height on these larger catamarans. If you never have a hardware failure or need to service the running gear while underway then its a non issue. If however there is a need to get to the boom it looks tenuous at best. Owning a leopard 40 for two years now I can say R&C builds a nice boat and the systems are well thought out. My one complaint about our 40 is the salon ventilation leaves allot to be desired. On the 58 I doubt it will be a problem. Overall impression is positive altho for me the Leopard 46 owners version would be perfect. I like the lines better.
ShaktisBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 13:09   #3

Boat: jeps got it
Send a message via Skype™ to mikethedane

Will follow this one ..

but i do know there is a completely new design on the 58 and you can see it in the us during the boat show i Annapolis and compare the Leopard 58 you need to look at Lagoon 560S2 which from my point of view have the best flybridge under 60 Feet .. but also have a look at the Nautitech 542..

personally i¨m looking in the same size of boat
Old 10-09-2014, 21:38   #4

Boat: Leopard 45

Thanks for the feedback. I have heard similar reports. Will look at the Lagoon 56 as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
nmit5903 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, leopard