Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Leopard Catamarans, Robertson & Caine
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2015, 01:26   #16

Boat: NEEL 45 #1
Re: 4600 or 4800 cat from moorings

i've met a couple of pro skippers who did deliveries on leo 48 ( mooring 4800) most started with very negative preconception then once they've worked on the boat found it to be an exceptional cat...

i 'm myself looking at pre owned cats ( salina 48/L500/recently leo 48) i must say that i'm still unconvinced byt the design of the leo but i believe it is a very good sailing cat..probably better than the leo 46..as strange as it may seems
beauris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 12:32   #17

Re: 4600 or 4800 cat from moorings

My apologies for adding a comment to an old posting; I was just searching for 5800 information and want to document my experiences for others who may also stumble onto this old post.

I've had the opportunity to charter both the 4600 and the 4800. Each have their pros and cons, from a charter perspective.

To give some color, The 4600 was chartered over 7 days in the BVI and the 4800 was done over 8 days on a one-way from St.Lucia to Grenada.
Both trips has 9ppl aboard.

Some of the pros and cons from my perspective:

4600 has a manual dingy hoist while the 4800 has an electric. The electric is nice, but of course the winch blew up on us outside the Tobago Keys and required repair.

4600 has a collapsing table for sleeping in the galley and the 4800 is fixed. This forces a 9th person to sleep in the fwd port-side crew forepeak.

The 4800 has the forward "fishbowl" hangout and it's amazing. It does make it more challenging to get upto the mast than the 4600, but it's worth it. I say this feature is amazing for a number of reasons:
- at anchor, you always have a place in the shade (fwd or aft)
- at anchor, you now always have an area exposed to the prevailing breeze (aft 4600 tends to roast, imho)

The 4800 has an electric winch at the helm which is really nice for raising the main solo or pulling more tension into your jib.

The 4600 has way more locker storage than the 4800. This was a disappointment for us. The primary storage lockers on the 4800 are smaller and are also located in the fishbowl - a huge disappointment for accessing snorkeling and fishing gear, etc. The 4600 has tons of locker space in the aft deck, so access to wet/water activity equipment from the splash deck is pretty easy.

I think there's also less galley storage in the 4800. We made do, but had to find new homes for beer/soda/crackers etc.

The other major advancement was the pass-through door from the galley to the forward deck. It's nice to open and get a passing breeze. Also makes it easier/safer to move about the boat while on the water. The fed windows are also huge and allow for better visibility.

The forward lockers (bouys, dock line, trash, etc.) are smaller in the 4800 if I remember correctly and the tramp is much smaller. Only a bummer if you like hanging out up there or sleeping outside.

Electronics were also much nicer on the 4800.

In all honesty, I like the features on both boats...but I'd take the 4800 again with little hesitation. That said, were looking now at chartering the 5800 because of the entertainment space a flybridge provides and crew capacity.

Hope this helps,
-scott

PS - another killer feature as I continue to think about the differences is that the 4800 has flat or recessed hatches in each stateroom whereas the 4600 has raised hatches that are foot/toe killers as you walk around the port or starboard access-ways. just my 0.02

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
scottcsu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mooring