Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2017, 07:45   #1

2012 Leopard 39

We are looking for our first cat and are close to bidding on a owner's version 2012 Leopard 39 from Moorings. My wife hates the dark cherry wood with black countertops look. We noticed there are several of these boats available for the $250K range. This boat will be our home for the foreseeable future. Is the interior roomy enough and is the dark wood that unappealing? Is this boat able to cross oceans or more of a coastal cruiser? Are there any Leopard 38/39 owners out there that can share their experiences with us? Should we hold out until we can afford and find a larger Leopard or Lagoon?
Srfnsnw100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:51   #2

Re: 2012 Leopard 39

I'm interested in this as well. For the same money you can get an older, larger, 4 cabin cat. The owners version, 5 year age, and generator / AC makes these pretty appealing, the short waterline and less space is the trade off.

I'd love to hear personal experience.
jgw50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 14:25   #3

Boat: Leopard 39

Personally, I prefer the cherry wood to the blonder veneers that Lagoon seems to prefer, and I think the fit and finish below is nicer on the Leopards. The interior is certainly roomy enough for a couple in the starboard owner's hull, with the other hull's two staterooms for guests or extra storage. Yes, a Lagoon 40 is noticeably bigger inside, it all depends upon what you want. As for seaworthiness, all Leopards are delivered on their bottoms from South Africa, and it is rated for blue water. It sails very well, and will pass most comparably sized monohulls easily; and having sailed it in 35 knots and five foot seas, I would have no qualms about ocean crossings with it. It takes rough conditions very well in stride. I find it the perfect size for short-handed sailing. I should also mention that mine took a lightning strike to the mast, and the only damage was fried electronics. I couldn't be happier with my choice of the Leopard 39 over a Lagoon 380 or an older model 400. It's a great cat.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 14:41   #4

---Is this boat able to cross oceans or more of a coastal cruiser?---
Take a look at -Sailing Fata Morgana-
They are a family of three now in the South Pacific on a 2009 Leopard 38
wkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 15:49   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielamartindm View Post
Personally, I prefer the cherry wood to the blonder veneers that Lagoon seems to prefer, and I think the fit and finish below is nicer on the Leopards. The interior is certainly roomy enough for a couple in the starboard owner's hull, with the other hull's two staterooms for guests or extra storage. Yes, a Lagoon 40 is noticeably bigger inside, it all depends upon what you want. As for seaworthiness, all Leopards are delivered on their bottoms from South Africa, and it is rated for blue water. It sails very well, and will pass most comparably sized monohulls easily; and having sailed it in 35 knots and five foot seas, I would have no qualms about ocean crossings with it. It takes rough conditions very well in stride. I find it the perfect size for short-handed sailing. I should also mention that mine took a lightning strike to the mast, and the only damage was fried electronics. I couldn't be happier with my choice of the Leopard 39 over a Lagoon 380 or an older model 400. It's a great cat.
Hi Dean,

So not all gentlemen prefer blonde? Haha
Thanks for the feedback. I have no problem with the dark wood but my wife does. I been researching Lagoon, Leopard and FP cats for over a year and the consensus on performance, comfort and layout is that Leopard is a fine choice. Can the boat hold a fair amount of toys? (Kayak, inflatable SUP, couple of surfboards, folding bikes). Do you have a washing machine? A water maker? More solar, wind & battery capacity? Do you need extra Geri cans or is the fuel tank capacity enough? Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Old 02-08-2017, 15:53   #6
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:

It appears the Leopards are now shipped rather than being delivered on their own bottoms.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-180399-2.html
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 16:12   #7

Boat: Leopard 39 Owners Version

Plenty of room.. 9 total family on the boat for a week. Easy peasy. Fun, fun. Usually it's just my wife and I, but we manage with a lot more on occasion. The owners ver. 39 has seating (outdoor) actually for 15 people per the manual and 9 berths with the saloon table made into a 2 person berth. I love our 39. But, everyone loves their boat, or at least most people love their boats. Only thing I wish, I wish it was a pretty as a monohull.. dang those monohulls are pretty. But, I do like the lines of the 39 more than most catamarans.
Privleoplag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 16:21   #8

Boat: Leopard 39 Owners Version

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srfnsnw100 View Post
... Can the boat hold a fair amount of toys? (Kayak, inflatable SUP, couple of surfboards, folding bikes). Do you have a washing machine? A water maker? More solar, wind & battery capacity? Do you need extra Geri cans or is the fuel tank capacity enough? Any input would be greatly appreciated!
(sorry, not Dean)

We have a washing machine.. a Panda, no watermaker, but when I'm ready to spend the $$$$ for one, we will. Depending on where you're going.. 96 gallons of fuel will go a long way, especially if you only run one engine at a time. Don't remember off hand just how far, but those little 29hp (be sure you get the 29hp engines.. not the 20) yanmars are fantastic motors and they sip fuel. If it was just my wife and I.. I'd say yes to storing and hauling all the toys you mention.. but we need the cabins too often to be putting much down there. A watermaker would let you eliminate a water tank (especially as the Moorings boats come with 3) and that would make for more storage space.
The Moorings boats could use more solar and there is space for it. Room for a wind gen too. Battery bank seems fine with three 210 agm's.
Privleoplag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 16:37   #9

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Privleoplag View Post

We have a washing machine..
Could you kindly share photos of where the washing machine is installed?

The Leopard 39 is at the top of my list for my next boat and after sailing a lot in boats with washing machines would like to have one....
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 19:27   #10

Quote:
Is the dark wood that unappealing?
I think that your wife answered this question. "My wife hates the dark cherrywood and bkack countertops look."

"Happy wife, happy life."
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 05:07   #11

Quote:
Hi Dean,

So not all gentlemen prefer blonde? Haha
Thanks for the feedback. I have no problem with the dark wood but my wife does. I been researching Lagoon, Leopard and FP cats for over a year and the consensus on performance, comfort and layout is that Leopard is a fine choice. Can the boat hold a fair amount of toys? (Kayak, inflatable SUP, couple of surfboards, folding bikes). Do you have a washing machine? A water maker? More solar, wind & battery capacity? Do you need extra Geri cans or is the fuel tank capacity enough? Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Hi again,
Honestly, these are all questions you need to answer for yourselves. What's adequate for me might be inadequate for you as far as size is concerned, and the question needs to be asked exactly how cluttered do you want your vessel to be, and how much more are you willing to pay for a larger vessel that will seem less cluttered? The need for added jugs of diesel and the like can be ascertained by fuel burn, tank size, and length of legs anticipated. I suggest you personally go to inspect one of the Moorings 39s that are for sale.
Best of luck in your search.
Old 03-08-2017, 05:22   #12

For those of you that have this cat, what's the headroom in the bridgedeck and hulls?
Old 03-08-2017, 06:50   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
For those of you that have this cat, what's the headroom in the bridgedeck and hulls?
I'm 6'1", and I've never hit my head with anything but my palm.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:58   #14

Quote:
I'm 6'1", and I've never hit my head with anything but my palm.
I'm a hair over 6'4". I don't mind stooping over a little, on occasion, but I need at least enough headroom to stand up in the hulls and the galley. I guess I need to find one and take a look in person.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:32   #15

Quote:
Hi again,
Honestly, these are all questions you need to answer for yourselves. What's adequate for me might be inadequate for you as far as size is concerned, and the question needs to be asked exactly how cluttered do you want your vessel to be, and how much more are you willing to pay for a larger vessel that will seem less cluttered? The need for added jugs of diesel and the like can be ascertained by fuel burn, tank size, and length of legs anticipated. I suggest you personally go to inspect one of the Moorings 39s that are for sale.
Best of luck in your search.

Thanks for the tips!
Dean

Tags
leopard