Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2017, 09:05   #1

Boat: PSC Orion 27
Where to next? Pacific Mexico

Hi guys, goat here. I'm in marina puerto Los Cabos, a small town locals call Playita, actually part of San Jose del Cabo or something like that. Rested up and heading for Bahia Frailes tomorrow. From there it's beat my way towards la Paz then up to the islands North of there, or shoot over towards Mazatlan.

Conventional wisdom says go to the mainland, cruise south, then use the spring southerly winds to explore the SOC.
What I'm looking for; beaches, islands, gunk-holing, fishing, small Mexican towns. Something like Vancouver island, but with nicer weather and cheaper beer. I didn't get any cruising guides for the Baja, but I do have detailed charts. Any favourite places you've visited would be appreciated.

A little about my situation, single handing a PSC Orion 27, don't have to be anywhere, no dates, no destination, just out having fun. Sorry Robert, tried many times to reply to your PM but kept getting 'unable to send message, blah blah' hopefully the admins can help, I've sent them a request.

I think there have been a few people wanting to tell goat where to go, now I'm asking for it. :^)

TIA

goat
Click image for larger version

Name:	1485190958608.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	139995
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 09:13   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Where to next? Pacific Mexico

The two places are very different. Jim and I have many fond memories from the Sea of Cortez, developed courage enough to try some anchorages not in the guides, too. Mostly, we swam daily, he spearfished "sandwich" fish for lunch, and then again for dinner many days. There's some shoreside exploring, as well. It is a long time since we were there, you will do better with more up to date input.

We also enjoyed the mainland, although we were not there very long, we were headed for the Marquesas, and both times, we left from Cabo. Had a good time everywhere in Mexico, and found the people to be friendly and helpful; never had a problem with "la mordida".

If you're planning to spend hurricane season there, I think where zeehag was is far enough south to escape the worst of it, a geographically well protected area.

Ann
Old 23-01-2017, 09:16   #3

Boat: EggHarbor,Sportfish,35

Talk to the Zee. She is the oracle of pacific mexico.
landsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 09:48   #4

I figured the title will be like the bat signal for Zee 😀.
Thanks for the info so far. I've also found the Mexican people are awesome. Friendly, helpful, especially with my horrible Spanish (I'm working on it). I guess the biggest thing for me, is it seems there are less destinations on the mainland than there are on the islands of the Baja. There's a book store a couple kms from here, worth a walk to see if the are any cruiser's guides. I know, should have bought in San Diego.
Old 23-01-2017, 10:03   #5

Head over to the mainland until the northers stop blowing in maybe April....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 10:27   #6

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Hey goat...I'm in SoC right now. Let me give you the best advise that was given to me many years ago..."If someone tells you the way, it's not it". Going to a new location (where ever it is), I do a little research as for a little local knowledge and go.
I'm sure there are many well intention'd people here that have visited great places but it would only be their opinions. I have people all the time wanting to direct me where to go but I politely steer the conversation away from them planning my adventure.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 10:30   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

get here to mazatlan and we can have pizza and talk about rural mexico and fishing villages. also cane holes in reality. pricing, and how to get stuff done here, and where to go to get it done most reasonably....
there is way too much for typoing with these bad paws i am enjoying
i also have a spare mexico cruisers guide--charlies charts
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 10:54   #8

...ya...so much for doing your own thing
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 23-01-2017, 11:02   #9

Goat,
Done that trip 4 times and always enjoyed Mexico. First time we went up into the Sea of Cortez right after arriving and spent until May before heading to Hawaii and home to BC. We had an absolutely wonderful time, spearfishing every second day and hiking and doing everything that didn't cost us a cent. There isn't much for villages as you head north from Lapa, there are some but most are very small fishing villages. Provisioning is best done in LA Paz. Now before I go too far I want you to know that our first trip was in a strong El Nino year and the sea was quite warm and very few northerners were blowing. We are not in an El Nino cycle so like Cheechako suggests it's pretty cool in the sea right now. It's still nice on the good days and some sailors like the milder weather so that's up to each individual. Mazatlan is more of a marina experience in my view, that plus the city of course, nice enough place I guess. The second time we sailed down we did a repeat performance but the weather was much different and much cooler. Third time we hung around Cabo until after the holidays and then headed for the mainland. Much better weather and quite a few neat places to hang out. Most cruisers do hang out on the mainland until the northern winds start to abate in the sea, it's a nicer time to visit but man does that place get hot in the summer, so spring and early summer is good. There are tons of good anchorages all up the sea so you won't have any issues there. My memories are all good about the times we spent there. Lapaz is a cool place to provision and hang out for awhile. Quite a few permi's there and usually a fair number of real cruisers. It's a working Mexican town and bears little resemblance to Cabo, much cooler place to hang out. You can anchor in the famous Magodi next to La Paz and learn the Magodi Waltz. You may like to go up to LA Paz and provision and take in the fair sized island group just to the north and then slide down to the mainland...lots of options and really depends on what you like. Depending on what you decide I might be able to give you a few tips, just ask. Cheers, R PS going upwind from your present location can be a real chore, especially on a smaller boat so don't get in a hurry, pick your days.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 11:12   #10

I always ask for advice and then do it my way. Just seeing if anyone has a few must-see 'secret' bays or beaches. Was planning on looking you up in la Paz Celestial, but after two and half days beating into rainy weather leaving Ensenada last week, I'm thinking a beam reach to the mainland might be a treat. I've got a few squid and flying fish washed aboard from that trip to use as bait next time I'm anchored. I'll hang out in Bahia Frailes for a couple days, keep an eye on the weather (though forecasting seems to be a crap shoot here) and follow the wind. How's that CF meetup in Mazatlan turning out, Zee?
Old 23-01-2017, 11:26   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
I figured the title will be like the bat signal for Zee ��.
Thanks for the info so far. I've also found the Mexican people are awesome. Friendly, helpful, especially with my horrible Spanish (I'm working on it). I guess the biggest thing for me, is it seems there are less destinations on the mainland than there are on the islands of the Baja. There's a book store a couple kms from here, worth a walk to see if the are any cruiser's guides. I know, should have bought in San Diego.
these are held close to chest. there are many places of awe and wonder.
soc is important to visit --i did via on land via camper. is beautiful --but desert and i donot get along so i avoid it--i also have other opinions of it in summer.
others love it. is a matter of choice and what you seek in way of scenery. in soc is a whole boodle of wildlife not seen out of soc. same as any beautiful gulf.
right now you are ina good place for heading up the sea--even with northers to wait out.
you are also in a good location for initiating a mexicoast cruise-- either way you are in a good jump off place. itiis all your whimsical choice. both work and both directions are pretty with good anchoring and cruising
Old 23-01-2017, 11:37   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
these are held close to chest. there are many places of awe and wonder.
soc is important to visit --i did via on land via camper. is beautiful --but desert and i donot get along so i avoid it--i also have other opinions of it in summer.
others love it. is a matter of choice and what you seek in way of scenery. in soc is a whole boodle of wildlife not seen out of soc. same as any beautiful gulf.
right now you are ina good place for heading up the sea--even with northers to wait out.
you are also in a good location for initiating a mexicoast cruise-- either way you are in a good jump off place. itiis all your whimsical choice. both work and both directions are pretty with good anchoring and cruising
Thanks Zee, this coast (baja) is the reason I wanted to see the SOC to start with. I am a desert rat. The forecast for as long as I can see is medium to strong north winds, but I've dealt with islands and inlets enough to know how to use land masses to my advantage. Consensus thus far; 50/50 go north, or go east.
I've probably already decided, but more input is always welcome. Might be giving that little staysail a work out after all.
Old 23-01-2017, 11:51   #13

whichever way you choose to travel, north or south, you will enjoy all of it. this year some friends are headed north--after years of cruising southwest coast they going soc-- others start in soc and come south. it is alll up to the sailor and his or her whimsy.
there ar emany creatures in soc not seen more south--whale sharks, some cool fishies--i can tell ye where to find fresh seafood without fees, oh yeah.i have done soc--in a camper with a friend who has a campo north of gonzaga bay. awesome beauty and desolation--fishing villages.. yummy shrimp omelettes--hahaha and so much more. the desert floor after a good hard rain in springtime with the flowers coloring the ground with such beauty is not to be missed.
the areas of mexico in which we cruise are each and all different from each other--from scenery to cuisine to dialect and history...it takes a long time to see all of it. where i spent time i enjoyed. was gorgeous

there have been many cf-ers thru here this winter-- cool folks.
we are working on a leaky teaky tavern call in a few.. spozed to be at least 5 of us... will see what happens when it happens, if it does.
Old 23-01-2017, 12:28   #14

I'll just say "if you go north, up the sea, stay on the Baja side. Safer and more anchorages. Contact me if you decide to store your boat for the hurricane season up north. I have 1st hand information.
Old 23-01-2017, 12:42   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I'll just say "if you go north, up the sea, stay on the Baja side. Safer and more anchorages. Contact me if you decide to store your boat for the hurricane season up north. I have 1st hand information.
Thanks Celestial. My original, and still first choice, is up the Baja side, then down the coast. I guess I'm trying to find out how bad a slog it will be going north this time of year. I'd like to spend a couple days (weeks?) in Puerto Penasco as I've got a friend in Yuma that would like to drive down for a visit. I was planning on some time in la Paz to see if I can find another tiller pilot, as I don't have a spare anymore. I might be able to solder up the circuit board and get the ancient one working again, but it shook me up a bit 80 miles from shore and losing my auto pilot. Without the spare it would have changed a 9 day journey into a two week ordeal. Might even get lucky and find a windvane salvaged off of one of the hurricane boats. One never knows.

Tags
Mexico